Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Crafty Corner : Kid Craftastic Learning

The Pink Heart Society editors welcome the new Craft Corner Tuesday by oversharing a bit of the life of Jenna Bayley-Burke and her brood of boys.

I love themes - in writing and in life. One year the kids & I had an alphabet year - every fortnight had a letter for a perfect 26 combination. We had a great time with it, and so I wanted to recapture the magic. So, this year we're doing a state year, one week for each of the 50 United States, plus 2 weeks of provinces. The US tends to forget about geography in school, so this my chance to ensure my boys can tell Alabama from Mississippi.

With the help of a workbook, felt & embroidery floss from the Dollar Store, we're already on the move. I've even found a way to encourage my middle boy (still frustrated by a small-motor delay) to write. As the 9-year-old reads about the state, the 7-year old looks for words that correspond to the letters of the state.

For Alabama, he found :

A - Alonso Alvarez de Pineda (first Western explorer)
L - Long leaf pine (state tree)
A - Activist (Rosa Parks)
B - Braille (Helen Keller)
A - Airmen (Tuskagee)
M - Mobile
A - Astronauts (space camp)

So, what makes this crafty? Well, for some states we'll do games and recipes. But for all of them, we're doing state felt pillows. Felt pillows are the easiest way I know of to teach the sewing basics. I'm not letting my little heroes-in-training out of the house without knowing how to sew on a button!

Thanks to the state quarters, the boys were really interested this week. Here's hoping I can thing of enough creative bits to keep them going all year long!

Jenna Bayley-Burke is a best-selling author featured on Good Morning America. Kinda. Compromising Positions made the best seller list for Kindle for a few weeks, and GMA did their daily top ten list of Kindle bestsellers and Compromising Positions made the list. But doesn't it sound better the first way? Keep up with Jenna's spin on things on her website & blog.


  1. What a FABULOUS idea Jenna! Can't wait to hear more crafty things from you!

  2. I don't have kids but I'm Canadian so it's good to see you tackling the provinces as well. You sound like you are a great caring mother.