Saturday, December 18, 2010

Wild Card Weekend - Holidays and Books

A merry welcome to Linda O Johnston, who pops into the PHS this weekend to talk about one of our favourite subjects - BOOKS!


This time of year, it’s hard to think about anything but the holidays.


Of course if you’re a dedicated writer or reader--and I’m both--it’s also hard to think, at any time of the year, about anything other than books! (Well, okay, that’s an exaggeration, but you get it.)

That’s why I decided to write about both for the Pink Heart Society. After all, they go together so well. Why? Well, this is a season for giving gifts. And what better gift is there than a book? Or three, five or a dozen of them. Or e-readers. Or all of the above.

Books are very special presents, because you can make them so personal to the person to whom you give them. Do they love romances? Give them some romance novels. Lots of them. Do they love mysteries? Cozies make great gifts. So do suspense novels or thrillers. You just need to know the preference of the person you’re gifting. You can always give them something outside their comfort zone, of course. Avid readers often like to try something different. But if you give them something way out from what they usually read, you’ll probably want to tell them that you know how different it is, and why you’ve chosen it for them.

That’s for readers. What about for writers? Well, they usually write in genres they love, so that makes it easy to pick for them. The only problem with that is you have to be careful not to choose something they already have. Gift cards can work for those kinds of situations (and not only for writers, of course). And if they’re writers like me, they’ll particularly appreciate books they can use for research for their writing.

This year, I bought a book for my husband that he’d expressed an interest in a few months ago. With luck, he’s forgotten about mentioning it. I wound up ordering it online... and added a book for myself on a topic I’m about to research. That way, he’ll have another gift to give me, too!

That’s also part of the fun of the season. You can give broad hints about what books you’d like to be given. Or ask those on your gift list what books they’d especially like to have.

If you really want to surprise someone, you can always give them something other than the book they’ve asked for... and then save that book until their birthday or the holidays next year!

So... if you want to give me a present this year, make it something I can read and you can’t go wrong. In case you didn’t figure it out, I’m partial to romance and mystery, and nonfiction I can use in my writing. But I’m always willing to try something new.

Have a wonderful holiday season--one filled with books and imagination--and an excellent New Year!



Linda O. Johnston writes the Alpha Force miniseries for Harlequin Nocturne about a secret military force of shapeshifters. Her most recent, ALASKAN WOLF, is available now. She also writes the Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter mysteries for Berkley Prime Crime, and the spin-off Pet Rescue Mystery series will begin in March 2011 with BEAGLEMANIA.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness the Beaglemanie cover is gorgeous...I want to snuggle it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda. Merry Christmas to you too. Have to say I love the book cover! As I type my 14 yo beagle is stretched out, snoring beside me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apologies for popping in so late!

    I agree with your comment about the Beaglemania cover, Mistress of the Dark. It really goes well with the story, too.

    And Merry Christmas to you, your family and especially your beagle, Annie!

    ReplyDelete