Saturday, December 11, 2010

Wild Card Weekend: Christine Rimmer - Nothin' Like a Christmas Song...

Christine Rimmer shares her her favorite music of the season... and a contest too!

It’s that time of year again. You know what I mean. Ho-ho-ho and all that jazz.

Here in Sooner country, our local pop radio station, 104.7 on your dial, switches to all-Christmas-all-the-time the week of Thanksgiving. And I listen. Oh, yes, I do. I can’t wait to get in the car between November 20th and New Years’ Day. A bounty of Christmas is right there, waiting for me with the punch of a button, and maybe a slight adjustment of the volume dial.

See, I like it loud. Very loud. And it’s not like I don’t get plenty of Yule sounds at home. I’ve been collecting Christmas music since my younger son was born. As of today, I’ve got 28 Christmas albums, total, in two formats; CD and cassette. I’m loathe to ditch the cassettes, since I’m afraid I won’t find these treasures again. So the holidays are also the one time of year when my old-as-the-hills cassette player gets a workout. We are talking the classics, here, folks: Burl Ives’s Have a Holly Jolly Christmas, Willy Nelson’s Pretty Paper and Elvis’s Blue Christmas. How am I going to say goodbye to those?

You guessed it. I’m not!

Plus, every year, I feel it’s my holiday duty to add one more great CD to my collection. Like oh, say Diana Krall’s Christmas Songs. Amazing. And Bette Midler’s Cool Yule. Love it! I try to hold it to just one a year and I’ve already got James Taylor Christmas for this year…


So I’m driving in my car with the radio on full blast and here comes that Christmas Song that reduces me to a blubbering mass of holiday tears. The Christmas Shoes by Newsong. Heard that one? Don’t listen without a box of Kleenex. I warn you.

In case you’ve missed it, a little boy is buying the perfect shoes for his dying mama. He wants “her to be beautiful. If Mama meets Jesus tonight.” Oh, my, my. Can you spell s-o-b-b-i-n-g? Because I was. I do. Every time I hear that song. I drive with the tears just running down my face.

No, that little boy doesn’t have enough money to pay for those special shoes for his dying mama, and yes, the holiday-hardened singer ends up putting his money down so the kid can give his mama her Christmas Shoes…

Okay. I need that one. I really, really do….

How ‘bout you? A favorite Christmas song? An album you recommend?

For a chance to win Christine's November release, EXPECTING THE BOSS'S BABY?, drop a comment. One winner will be chosen at random. Good luck!!

For more about Christine, drop by her website at


  1. I've never heard that song, it sounds like a real tear-jerker. My favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night. I like it by almost anybody but I really love Josh Groban's rendition. He has a beautiful voice and usually brings me to tears.

    seriousreader at live dot com

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. My current favourite is Sweet Bells by Kate Rusby. Rusby is a UK folksinger and Sweet bells is a South Yorkshire version of Where Shepherds Watch their Flocks. Still in South Yorkshire, they have caroling singing in the pubs on a Sunday lunchtime, with someone calling out the tunes. The Victorians thought the carol tunes a bit joyous for CHristmas.
    Anyway, the tune gets in your head and stays there in a good way.

  4. My new fave is Annie Lennox's new version of God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen. She has a great Christmas album this year, just stellar. Turns out she was born on Christmas!

    Merry Christmas, Julie

  5. I'm a sad old girl. Its got to be Last Christmas by George Michael. And I LOVED the corny video that went along with it!

  6. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree! I also love David Phelps singing O Holy Night on his One Wintry Night CD. That is also one of my fave songs but some singers just can't hit the notes and every time I hear David sing it - I shiver. Every time. SheDaisy's version of Jingle Bells. Gosh, I'm sure there's more...

  7. I love The Christmas Shoes, bring the tissue.
    And everything Elvis...
    The Carpenters' Merry Christmas Darling...
    A Harry Connick's I Pray On Christmas reduces me to blubbering.
    And White Christmas, though I don't want one, every year my mother watched that movie. Love the songs.
    What a fun post...thanks for the memories.

  8. Linda, it is, it is! And I do adore O Holy Night. Will have to hear Josh Groban's version....

  9. Michelle, sounds wonderful. I haven't heart Kate Rusby, so I'll be looking for her. Carol tunes a bit joyous?? Oh, those Victorians!

  10. Susanwilson, George Michael. He has such a great voice. I'll look for that one.

  11. Marcie, I'm seeing that I don't have half the available good Christmas albums. I can see I have choices for years to come! Thanks!

  12. Carol, my pleasure. And I do admire the Carpenters. More for my list!

  13. My favourite Christmas song is still Do you hear what I hear?

  14. Chey, hey! A star, a star, shining in the night....

  15. I'm kinda partial to the Motown Christmas Album... There's just something about rockin' around the Christmas Tree to some sweet soul music... But you can also never go wrong with Elvis IMHO.

  16. Heidi, I know what you mean! I have a couple of different Motown ones. And Elvis, too. Ho-ho-ho!

  17. And the winner is....

    Julie Hilton Steele.

    Julie, congrats. Email me at to claim your book.

    Thanks everyone. And happy holidays!

  18. I'm going to be honest. Though I love Christmas music and have been listening to the all-Christmas station, I absolutely abhor the Shoe song. Hate it. To the point of changing the station or turning the radio off when it comes on. On the other hand, I absolutely love Harry Connick Jr's "When My Heart Finds Christmas" and anything by Bing Crosby. I've been singing his "A Marshmallow World" all weekend in an attempt to convince myself I actually love a good blizzard.

  19. Heather, well, I know it's really over the top, so definitely not for everyone. Gets to me every time, though.

    Love your choices!

  20. There are 2 songs that scream christmas to me, firstly Christmas week in the car I love hearing Chris Rea 'Driving home for Christmas', its about being on the road heading home to the people you love.
    And being Irish, the number one Christmas is the bitter sweet 'Fairytale of New York', by the Pogues and the late Kirsty MacColl - its the dark side of the festive season, the people who are not around the Christmas Tree... its a heart breaker, but poignant, because we know someone out there isn't with family, isn't sharing this festive season.

  21. Sue, these are both new to me. Will find. They sound terrific. Thank you! We're moving from the midwest to Portland, OR over Xmas. Our College-guy son is coming with us and then flying back to school. He couldn't stand to be without family over the holidays. Of course, I'm soooo glad he'll be coming along.

  22. Christine, I hope you don't mind but I found 2 youtube links (with lyrics) - please delete if you aren't happy with links. But I'm at the stage now, where I sing along word for word, and it takes time to get all the meanings!
    Driving home for Christmas
    Fairytale of New York

  23. Sue, don't mind at all.

    Got'em both. Thanks!