Monday, December 27, 2010

Male on Monday: Hero Inspiration

Please welcome back Liz Talley with our last Male on Monday post of 2010!

I’ve had many men on my mind lately. Maybe because we’ve just finished the Christmas holiday. I’ve been surrounded by them - brothers, husband, father and my two boys. Yeah. Testosterone has been flowing as they immediately tore into their gifts of video games, tools, sportswear, among others boyish things. Not to mention we’ve had every bowl game being played plastered on every TV in our house (which is a lot because surprise, surprise, guys like TV. A lot.) So I “get” guys. I have to. To survive.


So, to an extent, I find it easy to write my heroes. Jeez. Sometimes I understand them better than I do my heroines (who frankly can get on my nerves). When I started brain storming on what I wanted to write for my Males on Monday blog post, I immediately thought of my hero in an upcoming May release. Sure, I have terrific males in my December and January Superromance releases, but this particular male has been on my mind from the very beginning. His name is Brent Hamilton. He pops up in my first book (debut book- Vegas Two Step) as the sleazy, good-looking, smooth-talking Lothario of Oak Stand, Texas. He’s basically a Regency rake transported to 21st century small town Texas. For some reason, this man stuck with me. I think about my characters a lot. And Brent wouldn’t leave me alone. I wanted to know why. Why was he always looking for a good time? Why did he chase women like a hound on a scent? Who was he? And what made him the not-so-great guy he was?

So my mind started turning. What if Brent had missed out on the one girl he was meant to be with? What if his sexy grin and smooth one-liners were all an act? What if he hid who he was because of people’s expectations? Suddenly, this man appeared to me, and I HAD to write his story. I found Brent so intriguing, so complex, so surprisingly heroic. It shocked me how wrong I’d gotten it in the first two books. Brent was more than what people saw, and I rallied behind him, weaving him a sweet, satisfying romance that peeled his layers away and showed me (and hopefully you) what kind of man had been lurking beneath the surface.

Okay, I’ve scratched around and found some famous actors who I think would best resemble Brent. I never make collages or use a picture of a celebrity in my head when I write because I don’t want to pull that actor’s characteristics and demeanor onto my character. I figure he’s an amalgam of Tom Beringer, Tom Selleck and maybe an early David Hasslehoff. Yeah, yummy and masculine.

So, what about you? Ever have a character that sticks with you? Maybe one that everyone thinks is an absolute jerk, but intrigues you enough that you want to find out more about him? Do tell…

Liz's latest release is THE WAY TO TEXAS, and one lucky commenter will win a copy! Please check back after the 27th, when Liz posts the name of the winner!

20 comments:

  1. Yep, the bad "guy" in my Golden Heart finaling book intrigued me so much I'm having to write her story.

    That's quite a story about Brent, he was quite annoying in Vegas Two Step, haven't read The Way To Texas yet, but I do look forward to his redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy! Now I want to read more about Brent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. He was annoying, Diane. But I think I redeemed him in his book A Taste of Texas. I had a hard time explaining that whole looking through nellie's panty drawer thing. LOL.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just ordered your other two books, Liz. I'm sorry, I'm behind! I'm dying to read more!!!

    My MC in First Grave is about 50% actor Jason Behr. Remember the series Roswell? Yeah, him. Okay, I live about an hour from Roswell, but really that had nothing to do with it! He's just such a freaking hottie.

    Great post!
    ~D~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Kelly. The 80s Tom Beringer was a real hottie. I love watching Major League just because he's so darn yummy in that movie.

    Bev- Brent's story comes out in May. I'm pretty excited about it because he's kind of a non-hero in the beginning, but the reader unearths more about him that makes the way he is make sense.

    Darynda - don't worry about being behind. Aren't we always behind on our TBR? I have such a conflict over whether to write or read. And I love all your characters in FGOTR, especially your dark dream guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice choices! I have a feeling we watched the same television shows growing up.

    I have my copy of The Way to Texas and remember Brent from his "God's gift to woman routine" in the last book. Excited to see how he turns out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He might have been annoying, but I have to say that Brent was one of my favorite characters! Ok maybe I've always had a thing for the bad boys. It made his redemption even sweeter. Can't wait to read the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, Jeannie. Or we just have good taste (or bad) in what we watch. LOL.

    Brent is still Brent in The Way to Texas. He's only mentioned. He actually appears in A Little Texas, but I took pains to make him a bit more likeable. And, yeah, bad boys are interesting. And with Brent you find out the bad boy has reasons for being bad. I fell in love a little bit with him as I wrote A Taste of Texas.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to read about Brent. In the book I'm writing now, there's a secondary character who is sarcastic and annoys the hero, but they also understand one another, and play off one another. I'm loving him - probably because I love his sarcastic sense of humor. He was going to die in this book, but I may have to extend the trilogy I had planned to include him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just got my Kindle for Christmas, so I can download your Christmas book! Can't wait! And I love the idea that you're redeeming Brett...and that it worked well enough for you to fall a little in love with him.

    I love redemption stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Liz,

    Tom Selleck! Amalgam of him, Tom Beringer and David Hasslehoff. Oh, I'd love to read about Brent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anne Marie - can everybody just think he's dead? Ooh, I love those kind of stories! I like sarcasm too. Unfortunately, everyone thinks Brent is dumber than a post. Fortunately, he's not. And he has a secret career - he's an author!

    Oh, Elise, you will love the kindle. And the books are cheaper. It's fantastic. I hope you enjoy The Way to Texas. Technically, it's not a true Christmas book because it starts mid-October and ends at Christmas. But it's festive :)

    Nas - he really is a lot like Tom Selleck in his personality. Kinda laid back and go with the flow, with the same awesome cleft in his chin. Very, very hunky...and he makes birdhouses for the kindergartners. Sigh.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice list. Heck, even I'd look at that imalgamation of masculinity, and I've gotten really fussy lately. LOL

    Can't wait to read this one. Love it when a bad boy is redeemed. I have one, too--the best friend with the cynical (thus annoying) bent. He has his story coming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gwenlyn - don't you love when a secondary character develops into someone you HAVE to write a story for? Okay, almost all of mine were like that, thus four more books. I'm glad you liked the list, and though David Hasslehoff is kinda cheesy now, he really was a good-looking fellow back in the Night Rider days.

    Yeah, bad boy redeemed is always a good story :) Almost as good as a good boy going bad (which is what I'm writing now.) I like unbuttoning those straight-laced guys and letting them get a little wild ;)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, I remember David Hasselhoff when he played a doctor on the Young and the Restless--way, way, way back then, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Liz, I *love* the "villain" type characters getting a redemption story where you see why they do what they do. I did that in Serengeti Storm (to mixed reactions) but I still seriously love that anti-heroine. Can't wait for this book. (And for Kate's! Waiting eagerly for A Little Texas!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, me too. I love Kate's book and it's one of those where she's not exactly the typical heroine. She's tough and snarky. Some people won't love her, but I know you will. She's right up your alley, Viv :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I too love those bad boys who just have something about them that sucks me in - in fiction anyway, in real life most of the ones who look like jerks actually are jerks. But in a book they are my favorites. I am so going to love reading about the real Brent, because my own WIP is was a bad guy in book one who turns to be much more than he first appeared to me - I swear, when I first wrote him I thought he really was as bad as he acted.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, ding, ding, ding!

    We have a winner...after I unsucessfully drew myself twice. Diana Layne, you are the winner. And I know you, so I'm pretty sure I can get it to you without you're having to check.

    Congrats! And thanks, everyone, for all the terrific comments!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete