Thursday, November 25, 2010

What are you reading...Sandra Hyatt

Desire Author Sandra Hyatt explains what she is reading this Thanksgiving Holiday.

First off “Happy Thanksgiving” to those of you celebrating today. May you have much to be thankful for.
One of the things I’m thankful for (after family and friends and health of course) is books and the ability to read. I took a flight a couple of days ago and sat next to a woman reading a book. I asked her what it was, and just like that - through a mutual love of books we passed a really pleasant half hour.

I love the way books connect people.

They can connect two strangers sitting next to each other or people across continents and oceans. And they can strengthen already existing bonds. A favorite question amongst my family and friends is “Have you read anything good lately?” My closest friends also tend to be the ones whose recommendations I trust the most. I’m not sure whether because we’re friends we like similar books or if it’s vice versa and that because we’re the types of people who like similar books we’re also good friends.

I try to read widely but I do especially love category. I depend on the fulfillment of the promise of each line, Desire vs Special Edition, vs Historicals vs Suspense etc and I like that it all comes in a package that doesn’t require a hefty investment of time. (My mother recently leant me a book that’s massive, I know it’ll be good but I’m almost frightened of starting it, there look to be weeks worth of reading in that monster. Thanks, Mom.).

So, what am I reading at the moment? Currently, I'm a few pages into Once A Father, a Special Edition by Kathleen Eagle. It came out a couple of months ago but I'm way behind on my reading. So many good books out there! My pile of reading just grows higher and higher. Seems like for every book I finish I pick up another two. But Kathleen was one of the first authors I read when I was becoming serious about my own writing and I've always loved her books especially the sheer decency of her heroes. They're men I'd want to know.

Next up is a Christmas anthology from Super Romance with stories by Kathleen O'Brien and Karina Bliss. I’m still a believer in the magic of Christmas, so combining that magic with the magic of two people falling in love just makes it so much the better (this is also partly why While You Were Sleeping is one of my all time favorite movies). I haven’t read Kathleen O’Brien before so I’m looking forward to ‘tasting’ her writing, but I know I can depend on Karina to deliver a heartwarming humor filled story that will have me sighing.
And being a Desire writer with an enduring attachment to the glamour and passion of the line I have a stack of those in my pile. What I need most is more time to read them all.
I’d love to hear what you’re reading and enjoying at the moment. And once again, Happy Thanksgiving, may your day be filled with blessings.
 Sanrda Hyatt

You can read more about Sandra's books on her website. But the blurb for her latest reads:
He never expected to be kissing his “wife” under the mistletoe. Millionaire Luke Maitland had married Meg Elliot under extreme circumstances...certain they’d never be reunited. Yet even as he planned to end their temporary union, he could not ignore the intense passion between them. Was this magnate meant to be married?


  1. I agree with you on the appeal of reading category. It's so nice to have an expectation and know that it will be fulfilled!


  2. Hi Soraya

    Yes. Nothing worse than investing in a book that disappoints you or leaves you depressed at the end.

    And there are so many great category reads out there - with many more to come.