Monday, November 08, 2010

Male on Monday : Chris Pine



This week Pink Heart Society Editor Donna Alward has zeroed in on super-hot up and comer Chris Pine for Male on Monday...


Never has Captain James T Kirk been so hot.


No disrespect intended to Shatner or all the Trekkies out there - but Star Trek was never my thing.  Until I saw the trailer for the recent movie and thought WOW. And then the movie released and we heard all sorts of good things about it. So we watched it. Loved it. Watched it with the girls - who were thrilled that Kirk was actually Nicholas from The Princess Diaries 2.

Pine was born in Los Angeles, California to Robert Pine and Gwynne Gilford; he also has an older sister, Katherine. His father was an actor who had a contract with Universal, while his mother was an actress and is now a practicing psychotherapist. His maternal grandparents were Anne Gwynne, a Hollywood actress, and Max M. Gilford, a Hollywood attorney. Pine graduated from the University of California, Berkeley with a degree in English. He spent his junior year in the UK, studying English at the University of Leeds.

I'm already sold on the degree in English and the year abroad. And you probably already know his father if you watched 70's tv at all - Robert Pine starred alongside Erik Estrada in CHiPS (as well as having a long career in tv and film).

Pine’s first acting role was in a 2003 episode of ER; the same year, he also appeared in episodes of The Guardian and CSI: Miami. In 2004, he appeared in Why Germany?, a short film, and in The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement. Pine was one of several love interests of Anne Hathaway’s character in the film, which was released in August of that year to a strong box office. In 2005, Pine appeared in an episode of the series Six Feet Under, as well as in Confession, an independent film that was released directly-to-video, and The Bulls, another short film.

While the Princess Diaries 2 wasn't perhaps his best performance, you still have to love him because he's the bad boy. I mean, he's after the throne! And he's trying to seduce Mia. The scene where they are arguing about his "lie dance" is one of my favorites. Having the housekeeper find them in a closet together is perfect. Very sighworthy, especially when you're watching with 2 preteens on a cold winter afternoon while sipping hot cocoa. Of course he is looking very YOUNG here as well as having a LOT of hair.  Gotta admit I prefer the shorter do.


Pine appeared in the made-for-television film, Surrender Dorothy, which aired in early 2006. He also played Jake Hardin in the American film Just My Luck, a romantic comedy in which he stars opposite Lindsay Lohan who plays Ashley Albright. Pine appears in the comedy Blind Dating and in the action film Smokin’ Aces.

In 2007, Pine turned down a role in an upcoming film adaptation of White Jazz in order to accept the part of James T. Kirk in the upcoming Star Trek, to be directed by J. J. Abrams - a role that really propelled him into stardom. His newest project looks AWESOME - starring with Denzel Washington in UNSTOPPABLE.

What makes Pine so attractive? I can tell you what worked for me in Star Trek. Check out this youtube clip and see if you agree!  Though I'll admit I spent WAYYYYY too much time looking for the bar fight scene at the beginning because there are so many good one liners. At least you get a taste of it here - a smart mouth and a cheeky grin. A fast bike and a quick mind. I like that he hit on a girl and got in a bar brawl. I like that he had something to prove in his father's shadow of heroism. I like that he's a wild card. Maybe TPD2 was far sweeter, but he still had that sexy, impish look that said he could be trouble.



I also think he could pass for Michael Weatherly's younger brother, and I'd be ALL OVER that casting. Can you picture Tony DiNozzo with a younger brother?

And what girl doesn't like a bad boy?


Donna's latest, BREATHE, released Nov 2 from Samhain Publishing and stars a single mum, a sexy hero, and a gorgeous winery setting. The content warning says it all:

Warning: Full-bodied, rich bouquet with sexy overtones. Decant, breathe, and enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Donna, he's done some growing up! He's a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will beg to differ -- Captain Kirk in the original series was seriously hot! He was one of my original crushes way back when I was a tween and Star Trek was on every single night. Who doesn't love a bad boy? Or rather a man who is married to his ship and is just waiting for the right woman to unlock his heart?
    James T Kirk was modelled on Horatio Hornblower who was also hot.
    But Chris Pine has certainly grown up and is a good choice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL well I'll leave you to him, Michelle. I never got the lure of the old Star Trek or Shatner either. And you know I never really went crazy over the original BSG and Richard Hatch, either....but as you know I sure loved the reimagined version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to pop in and say YUMMY! Chris Pine has stolen my heart for sure - I can't wait fot the next Star Trek!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of his new movie too, Melinda. If you haven't seen the trailer, you should. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't have picked a better hottie Donna I LOVE Chris Pine and Michael Weatherly. Gimme Gimme Gimme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the hotness...Chris Pine is so totally droolworthy! Thank you for this!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom (who's 43 and been married to my dad for 24 years) once said to me (when I was gonna watch Star Trek because I was sad), "It's hard to stay sad while looking at a hunky guy." I have a feeling that she was talking about Pine, but this was before she knew that Quinto's gay.

    ReplyDelete