Saturday, October 23, 2010

Wildcard Weekend :: The Other Side with Jillian Burns

Blaze author Jillian Burns is at The Pink Heart Society this weekend talking about what happens beyond our five senses.

Completely Crazy or Smartly Sensitive?

In my new Blaze out this month, Seduce and Rescue , my heroine, Lily Langford, owns an herb shop and has a special gift. She can see people’s auras and tell if they need her help or not. She also has a friend who’s a psychic and relies on Tarot cards to see the future.

So, are these type of people just wacko new age hippies? Or do they genuinely have special gifts most of us don’t have? I used to be one of those cynical scoffers who didn’t believe in ghosts, mind readers or fortune tellers. I mean, let’s face it, they sound crazy and the majority of them out there are con artists only out to scam you out of your hard-earned money.
I’ve always enjoyed reading books and watching TV shows and movies about the paranormal like, Medium, The Sixth Sense , and Psychic Investigators. I’m fascinated by all things paranormal, but mostly filed them under the heading, Make-believe. Purely fiction. Entertaining, but not real.

But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve experienced a couple of phenomena that couldn’t be explained by anything rational, and I’ve been obliged to eat my oh-so self-righteous words.

When I was pregnant with my youngest daughter, (I was older and considered a high-risk) the results of our amniocentesis showed the baby might possibly have Down’s syndrome. Of course I was upset, and worried. And for reason I don’t remember, I found myself alone in my mom’s house. (which hardly ever happens) It was quiet and I was sitting around getting more and more upset in the quiet stillness. Then a strong feeling washed over me filling me with peace and love and I heard, very distinctly in my head the words, “Whatever happens you will be okay.” And I wasn’t worried anymore after that.

I knew what the words meant. The words had NOT said the baby did not have Down’s syndrome. They only said that no matter what happened with my baby, I would be okay. I knew that meant that however things turned out, I’d be able to handle it. That I would be happy.

I have no explanation for this, but I believe it was my paternal grandmother speaking to me. I’m named after her and always wished she hadn’t died when I was still too young to know her. (I was five)

But ever since then I’ve believed she (my grandmother) is my guardian angel, watching over me, and that she’s there when I need her.

Am I crazy? Was my experience simply dredged up from my hormones and my intense need for reassurance?

If that’s what you choose to believe, I can’t blame you.

So, what do YOU believe? Crazy Kooks? Or Specially Gifted?

Seduce and Rescue is in stores now and is the sequel to Jillian’s first Harlequin Blaze, Let It Ride . Jillian Burns in Texas with her husband of twenty years and their three active kids and believes romance novels have the power to change lives with their message of eternal love and hope. She will have 3 more Blazes out in 2011. For more information and excerpts you can visit her website


  1. Hi Jillian!
    I can't say I'm a believer of paranormal activity, but I don't scoff at it either. I guess I am open to the possibility.

  2. That sounds about like me, Wendy,
    Skeptical but open. I take everything I hear with a grain of disbelief, but I might could be convinced...
    Thank you for coming by today. Hugs!

  3. That sounds about like me, Wendy,
    Skeptical but open. I take everything I hear with a grain of disbelief, but I might could be convinced...
    Thank you for coming by today. Hugs!

  4. I'm sort of like you both, except believe a little stronger. I remember my parents taking my boys to the circus when they were small. They came home with those green glow sticks. At the same time, the city was repaving the road in front of Mom's house. I dreamed that my 4 year old was running across the street and fell. I picked him up and black sticky gravel was imbedded in his face and I was in a panic all worried about his eyes. Sat straight up in bed and had to go check on him. (You moms should understand.) When I walked into his room, this green stuff from the glow stick was running down his face just missing his left eye. He'd stuck it between the spring and mattress on the top bunk and the spring punctured the plastic so the green chemical stuff was dripping slowly onto his sleeping face. So yes, I do believe there is something to it.

  5. My husband called our younger daughter once from halfway around the world at what was the middle of the night in her time zone. It seems she had just burned her hand and he calmed her down and told her how to treat it. I always thought it was kind of ESP between them. But I've had less dramatic things happen to me as well.

  6. Kooks or Special? I say neither. I believe we've all got sensory perception that can connect us across distance and time (and death). And just as we can learn to be better listeners and sharper observers, we can also develop this other connection.

    (I've got at least two grandmas looking out for me, too. I'll smell the one's perfume and the other's cigarettes!)


  7. Pam! I've known you for 8 years now and never heard that story before! How cool!
    That is a fantastic psychic Mom story!
    Love you!

  8. Hi Linda,
    I remember that story about your hubby and daughter. Verrry cool.
    Hugs, girlfriend!

  9. Hi Sally,
    You are so right. My question was iknd of hyperbolic, wasn't it? But I do agree with you. I think the humnan brain is capable of so much more than we know. I mean, what is the statistic? We only use about 10% of our brain's capacity? Somehting like that.
    And let's not forget to factor in the strongest force of all: LOVE. I believe the force of love can work miracles, can span time and space and even reach across realms. That's what I believe fwas happening with me that day. My grandmother's love was comforting me.
    Thanks BoBo.

  10. Juliet, interesting. I certainly agree with Sally--we all have these abilities, but in some of us they are more developed. Now, I hope I win the book from your backlist.

  11. Hi Caroline!
    So, no stories you can share about anything paranormal happening in your life? I htink of myself as a very pragmatic person and so, for somehting like what happened to me to happen is so unusual. Do you feel that way too?

  12. I'm a definite believer in the power of maternal instinct, especially after reading these stories. Mind you, I worry about my children so much my instincts work in a scattergun way - I'm right, but only randomly!

  13. Hi Christina,
    I hope I can be my babies' and grandbabies guardian angel, like my Bobo was for me.
    Thank you for coming by to comment!