Friday, October 29, 2010

Must Watch Friday - Holiday Movie Marathon!

Here's Barbara White-Daille with a post of nostalgic holiday favourites that brings out her inner child (and ours too!)

This is the best time of year for movie watching, in my opinion. As soon as Halloween rolls around, I gear up for marathons of all my old favorite holiday movies. That also includes animated films.

The viewing season kicks off with It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown; A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving; and A Charlie Brown Christmas.

A must-watch for Halloween week is The Nightmare Before Christmas.

And the fun just goes on from there.


Other children’s movies I can’t miss include Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer—that adorable little cloth puppet with the light-bulb nose—and the fabulous Dr. Seuss story of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Of course, I need to get my fill of comedies, too, such as Home Alone and The Santa Clause.

My absolute hands-down favorites, though, are the sentimental oldie-but-goodie Christmas classics from ’way back when: It’s A Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street (both out in 1947—what an awesome movie season that must have been!) and White Christmas (1954).

All these wonderful holiday movies bring to the screen exactly what I love most when it comes to reading and writing a category romance: quirky characters, lots of humor, a story that touches your heart deeply enough to bring on a tear or two, and a guaranteed happy ending.

Where’s that remote? I’m ready!

Now it’s your turn.

What’s your favorite holiday movie ever?


All my best,

Barbara



Barbara White Daille writes category romance on the sweeter side. Her latest release from Harlequin American Romance, FAMILY MATTERS, is in bookstores now! Please stop by to visit her at her web site and blog: www.barbarawhitedaille.com and to read an excerpt of FAMILY MATTERS.

19 comments:

  1. I have three favorite holiday movies.

    One is Home for the Holidays which is a fantastic Thanksgiving movie.

    The second is Christmas Vacation--some of the greatest one-liners ever

    And third is A Christmas Story which is totally hilarious.

    I have never see It's A Wonderful Life (and I'm 39!). It's quite a cool conversation starter this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen 'It's a Wonderful Life' either - must do it this year.
    White Christmas - brilliant - and don't we all love Charlie Brown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning! Thanks for stopping by the blog today.

    I'm off to the day job soon but will be back later and over the weekend to respond to comments.

    Looking forward to hearing your holiday favorites!

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corrie71 - thanks! I'm also hoping the topic will be a good way to focus on the good things about the holidays and stop seasonal stress in its tracks.

    You picked some real winners, too.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina - yes, Charlie Brown is a very Good Man. ;-)))

    I think today we'll all either discover new movies we'll want to add to our lists OR be reminded of old favorites we need to watch again.

    Should be a fun day!

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not Christmas for me until I see WHITE CHRISTMAS, HOLIDAY INN and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. I usually watch them while I'm wrapping presents or making a gift--or sometimes, the whole family will just take a break during the busy holiday season and sit down together to watch one of those classics.

    On the animated front, we're Charlie Brown lovers at our house--so THE GREAT PUMPKIN and a CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS are must-sees.

    And I love HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS. Who knew the spooky Boris Karloff could tell such a wonderful holiday story? Love his narration of the Seuss classic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite "adult" holiday movie is The Family Stone. We came across it quite by accident and it stars Dermot Mulroney, Sarah Jessica Parker, Claire Danes, and Diane Keaton. You won't have a dry eye when you get finished watching this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Ref. Denis Leary, Judy Davis, Christine Baranski, Kevin Spacey, DB Wong...Nothin' says Christmas like the Ref.
    And while they are not technically Holiday movies, they always play the Star Wars and Harry potter Movies and they make it feel like the holidays.
    I like Family Stone, too! SJP character of the uptight perfectionist was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @corry71
    Home for the Holidays is simply brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie - sounds like we have a lot in common.

    And what a bunch of great memories are connected to those wonderful old movies, too!

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marilyn - I haven't seen that one but I like the "won't have a dry eye" comment so will definitely look for it.

    Thanks!

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shannon - will check out The Ref, also. Thanks for sharing!

    And, yes, all those old favorite sagas really do make the season more special, whether the movies are related to holidays or not.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, I'm a sap, so I pretty much loved all the holiday movies, animated ones included.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary - LOL. You're in good company with me.

    To paraphrase Will Rogers:

    "We never met a holiday movie we didn't like." :-)

    Thanks for dropping in!

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are several favorites around here. It's A Wonderful Life, Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. As much as I love watching Diane Keaton, I can't believe The Family Stone isn't on the list. Haven't seen that one!

    Best

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm late to the party, but...

    The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant, David Niven and Loretta Young. (sigh) Beautiful, traditional Christmas fare. Another biggie is Meet Me In St. Louis, which has great Halloween and Christmas scenes in it. Judy Garland at her finest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carol - thanks for stopping by!

    Very cool that you're leaving with a new addition for your list.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy - another couple of good ones! Thanks.

    Maybe I'd better think about revising my wish list for Santa.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

    ReplyDelete