Saturday, September 18, 2010

Weekend Wildcard: Angi Morgan Call Story

This weekend, the Pink Heart Society welcomes debut Harlequin Intrigue author and Golden Heart winner Angi Morgan as she tells her version of the Call. Congratulations Angi on both accomplishments!

Angi's first sight of her book!
Thank you ladies for inviting me to be apart of The Pink Heart Society this weekend. What an awesome group of ladies dedicated to category romance. YAY! I have loved category since introduced to Harlequin Presents by my grandmother and aunts. And I’ve wanted to write for Harlequin since that time. The stories would always be dancing around in my head. So selling to Intrigue was a long-time goal.
I have been asked several times “how I got the call” and I have to admit that one “first” after another has kept me going on this rollercoaster of smiles during this past year. While celebrating SEE JANE RUN’s 2009 Daphne win, I signed with my agent and quickly sold Hill Country Holdup. But that’s not all.
I was contemplating my writing career and what I’d do if SJR didn’t sell to Harlequin. It was its last shot. A friend asked if I’d considered other alternatives of publishing...but she had to hang up and said she’d call back. The phone rang about three minutes later and I noticed it was my agent. “Angi...they want to buy it.” I remember being pretty silent, saying “I can’t believe it’s finally happened” and also having to explain that I was sort of in shock (I wasn’t my normal gabby self). Then my agent says, “That’s the good news, want the better news?”
“What’s better than selling?” “They want a September 2010 release.” Oh my goodness! I really couldn’t talk. I’ve had friends who waited over two years for their books to hit the shelves. In fact, someone sold their first book and couldn’t make a second sale and stopped writing. So I was really floored. Really glad I had my agent. Really thankful it was all happening.
Then my new editor called to just talk. We spoke about 45 minutes about life. She put me at ease and all the business was left for my agent. It was unreal. I was over the top. I finally called my husband, my daughters, texted my son. What a great feeling, but it wasn’t over.
In less than a year, I’ve sold, had my first edits, my first art facts, my first final edits, my first look at my cover, my first blog, my first conference as a PAN member, my first Golden Heart win, my first SECOND sale (had to throw that in there LOL), my first major deadline (9 weeks to write the 2nd book), holding my book for the first time, and my first sighting of seeing my book on the Harlequin rack.
And today is my first book signing. (editor's note Go Angi!!! And just wait until you have the first translation!)
I hope the rollercoaster of smiles never stops. Even with the pressure that selling brings, I remind myself that I’m finally on the side of the table holding the pen. And I love it.

Thanks for all the support and I hope everyone loves Hill Country Holdup as much as I love the ride it’s given me this year.
This question may be out of the blue, but I’d love to know how readers got turned on to category romance? Are you a teenage statistic like me? (introduced by an older family member?) Or did a book just catch your eye in the store?
‘Til next time,

~~Angi
CONTESTS: Celebrate Angi Morgan's debut release, Hill Country Hold-Up via her blog tour this past week (9-13 through 9-19). Get complete details of her stops, her blogs, and her contest giveaways at http://www.AngiMorgan.com/. Leave 5 comments on 5 different blogsites where she’s been a guest and be registered in a drawing for prizes. Hold Up the Cover will run the entire month HCH is on bookshelves. The drawing will have several prizes for those sending a picture of themselves with Angi’s cover (and signing up for her newsletter).

You can read more about Angi's exciting books on her website.

15 comments:

  1. HUGE congrats on your Call Angi - so lovely to read your enthusiasm!!!
    :)
    Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love call stories, they always make me feel so happy. Mega congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angi: Great story and congrats again! have fun today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a great "call story" as your is a great one! Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Rach! It's been a great year.
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nell, I'm so glad my story made you smile. It certainly does it for me. LOL
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Robin!
    Thank you! Today went awesome. There were 46 copies and I sold 43. How awesome. It made me feel so great to have family and friends there, but to meet readers who came to get Hill Country Holdup.
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it, Caroline. I have to admit that it's been a wonderful story to get to tell. It's just plain fun.
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your call story, and your enthusiasm, Angi. It's a very special time - enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angi! I KNEW you were going to sell! You've made me laugh, you've made me yell with joy when you sold, you've make me cry...

    Now I just want to read the book! Can't wait...

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is really nice to have enthusiasm and the family & friend support to help me stay excited. It's really been great.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  12. TESSA !!
    Hey lady...you've been one of my long-time supporters and lots of the reason I can remain optimistic!. Thanks mucho, girlie!

    (Psstt...please get the book and read it. I'm dying to know what you think of it.)

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angi, no matter how many times I read your call story, it still makes me smile. I can't believe how much has happened to you in a year. From Daphne win to GH win and seeing your book on sale at midnight. What a thrill. I know this is just the beginning of great things for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Cat !
    You're awesome to stop by again.

    Can't wait 'til it's your turn to tell your story during debut week.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angi--LOVED your call story! All those FIRSTS in such a short time is incredible! And the quick release is amazing! Enjoy the ride, every bit! So Happy for you! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete