Thursday, August 12, 2010

What Are You Reading Thursday : This & That

Pink Heart Society editor Jenna Bayley-Burke hates it, but she's between books at the moment. Both writing and reading!

I love being so enraptured by a story I stay up late to finish it. I wake up in the morning and sneak in a chapter before the kids get up. Love it. But, I'm not mid-book anywhere in my life right now!

I'm always reading a handful of things. But none of them has me grabbing people in bookstores or the library and saying THIS, you must read this!!

We all live for that, right? At least we Pink Heart Society members do. We love books, we love stories, we love stories that make us feel good and hopeful and like we have to tell people about it. That's what book clubs are all about :D

It's not that I don't like what I'm wading through, it's just not anything that has me gifting copies like, say, Indulge Me by Isabel Sharpe (Blaze). It's the funniest sexy book ever. You don't think so? Well, tell me what is, I'd love to read it even if I'll probably disagree with you.

So, here's the words passing by my eyes ::

Desk :: Incognito by Kate Hoffman (Blaze), The Maeve Binchy Writers' Club by Maeve Binchy
Van :: What Your Second Grader Needs to Know
Purse :: Women Food and God by Geneen Roth (it was featured on Oprah...I'm having my usual response to an Oprah reccomended book)
Nook :: The Greek Tycoon's Blackmailed Mistress (Presents) by Lynne Graham
Bedside :: Come Look with Me: Enjoying Art with Children

You know, now that I look at my list, I'm a bit more excited. (I mean, Lynne Graham is very nicely offering to take me to Greece. It's very kind of her since she's taken me so many times and been such a lovely hostess. No wonder I accepted the invitation, I just need to go!)

The reader brings something to the book too. Without the expectation to be thrilled, the willingness to be caught up in the story...you'll have a hard time loving anything.

Time to shake off my summer grumpies and get to reading!


Compromising Positions received and honorable mention in the Passionate Plume Contest. Was it the Kama Sutra yoga class, the chocolate, or something even more decadent that earned the honor? Check out Jenna's website and blog for more about her stories.

3 comments:

  1. With a deadline looming, I'm not reading anything at the moment either. But at the RWA conference, I bought copies of all the finalist entries in the Women's Fiction category. Once this book is out the door, it's me and my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished the first four Balfour Family Legacy books which were incredible! Then Maureen Child's Desire. Next on the list Kate Hewitt's current release, Susan Mallery's Finding Perfect, Jane Porter's women's fiction, She's Gone Country, Dana Marton's Intrigue and her arc as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not heard of the Maeve Binchy book at all. Will definitely have to give that a look. I, too, hate to be between books. I had a bad July in that respect and the drought is continuing a little bit. I'm just not excited about anything I've found lately. It's very frustrating, I might add. I AM enjoying a non-fiction book on the powers of persuasion and how to use them to better effect: "27 Powers of Persuasion" by Chris St. Hilaire. It comes out next month -- I have a pre-copy. Think about "big communicators," so to speak, such as lawyers, journalists and politicians. St. Hilaire talks about the powers these people use, and how they use them, and how we can use them too. One of the things I found/am finding useful is how to assess your own ego, and make your weaknesses your strengths, while at the same time showing you the most effective way to deal with opposition. Very interesting stuff.

    Now, if I could just find a riveting piece of fiction...

    ReplyDelete