Saturday, August 21, 2010

Weekend Wildcard: Ten Days in Orlando

Love Inspired author Terri Reed gives her account of what she did in Orlando.
Terri Reed here, finally recovered from an exhausting but thrilling ten days away in sunny, HOT, Orlando for the Romance Writers of America's 30th Annual national conference.


I had a wonderful time on so many levels.
 I visited Disney's Animal Kingdom with my critique partner Leah Vale, danced with Donald Duck  and chatted with Safari Mickey .

The conference was at the beautiful Swan Dolphin hotel on the Disney property. Here I am standing on the bridge of the Boardwalk with the Swan Dolphin in the background.

I signed my May 2010 release Covert Pursuit at the Literacy signing with 500 of the genre's favorite authors. All proceeds from book sales go to ProLiteracy Worldwide and Orlando and Nashville literacy organizations. We raised over 55,000 dollars.

I attended many informative workshops and actually gave a workshop, which is always a stretch for me. I do okay in small groups or one to one, but speaking into a microphone to more than three people unnerves me. Though I think I did okay.

This year's keynote speaker was the fabulous, New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts.  Her inspiring speech made me think about all the fabulous writer friends and contacts I’ve made over the years. I can’t imagine my life without the joy of knowing the many wonderful writers and readers with whom I’ve crossed paths.
On Friday night I attended the Harlequin author party at the beautiful Waldorf hotel and danced until my feet hurt. Here’s me with my editor Emily Rodmell.
The week culminated with the prestigious RITA and Golden Heart award dinner and ceremony. I wore an ice blue strapless gown with a little bling in my hair (I couldn't bring myself to do an actual tiara). I felt like Cinderella. Here’s me with my senior editor Tina James.

Next year New York here we come!

The 31st Annual Romance Writers of America Conference will be held in New York City, June 28 - July 1 at the Marriott Marquis.

This month I have a new book out titled Treasure Creek Dad, part of the Alaskan Bride Rush continuity. #



What’s a Father to Do?


Single father Jake Rodger’s daughter isn’t happy about moving to tiny Treasure Creek Alaska. So the former big city businessman trades his suits for hiking boots and he books a father-daughter wilderness tour to acclimate her. But Veronica isn’t buying it. Perhaps guide Casey Donner is just the person to help the girl appreciate the Klondike state’s natural beauty. But could tomboy Casey, in her ponytail and cargo pants, also be what this city boy needs for a lifetime of love?

4 comments:

  1. Great pictures. I'm glad you had a good time.
    You Alaskan Bride Rush book TREASURE CREEK DAD sounds like a good one. Good luck with its release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see your perspective on Orlando, Terri. It looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Librarypat. So far TCD has been well received.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I did have a great time. More fun than I probably should have :-)

    ReplyDelete