Thursday, July 29, 2010

What are you reading Thursday - Stephanie Newton

Stephanie Newton joins us with her summer reading list!

What am I reading? A good question. A little over a week ago, the answer would’ve been, “My manuscript, for the four thousandth time.” As soon as that baby hit the post office box, though, I picked up my Kindle and opened the first of my list that had been accruing since the writing blitz began.


I write romantic suspense and it’s probably my favorite genre to read, too. However, this year I decided to be deliberate about keeping track of what I’m reading and trying to branch out, even though my reading time is limited. So here’s what I’ve read lately:

Elizabeth Lowell’s Death Echo: I’ve been an Elizabeth Lowell fan since I read her western historical years ago. I love the St. Kilda Consulting series, too. Always great tough heroes, always great romantic suspense.

Joanna Bourne’s The Forbidden Rose and The Spymaster’s Lady: I’d heard wonderful things about this series and I wasn’t disappointed. The writing was so, so beautiful. I’m a fan.

Tana French’s In the Woods: This Edgar award-winning novel is beautifully complicated. I can’t say that it ended the way I would’ve liked, but it was an unforgettable read!

Stieg Larsson’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: I’ve seen this international bestseller everywhere and finally, with a few hours in the car ahead of me, decided it was time to read it. It was a slow build, but boy, when the action started, it didn’t let up for a minute. I’m looking forward to the sequel and more time with the fascinating characters.

Wednesday, I’ll be flying to Orlando for the RWA conference. I’ll be coming home and buckling down to work but for the trip, I must have some reading material. I’m thinking maybe a good historical romance might fit the bill…something along the lines of Loretta Chase’s Last Night’s Scandal. Or I have Maggie Stiefvater’s Shiver and Linger in my TBR pile. What do you think? What should I read next? What genre should I choose?

Award-winning author Stephanie Newton lives in Florida with her husband and two teenagers. She keeps busy running from sporting events to music lessons and drinks way too much coffee in between. Her latest book, Flashpoint, is available now. To read a chapter of her latest, click here.

Steph's giving away a copy of FLASHPOINT to a lucky commenter! Leave a comment and Steph will draw the winner!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Steph, hope you're enjoying Orlando! Boy, wish I was there... Anyway, I enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo too. Yeah, very slow to build but strangely compelling I thought! The next one is pretting good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I choose from my TBR pile, I like to switch up genres, if I've just read a contemporary romance, then I'll reach for a classic, or a YA, to keep things interesting. And I'm all for your idea of branching out, and trying books you wouldn't immediately gravitate towards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would choose the historical romance. I had gotten a little burnt out on them a few years ago, but Eloisa James brought back my love of historicals. I have been reading quite a few of them. Your new book looks great, I can't wait to read it.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    If you're looking for a good historical romance, I highly recommend Amelia Grey's AN EARL TO ENCHANT. It says on the cover "Witty dialogue and clever schemes ... Grey's characters will charm readers" and I totally agree. This book had the witty dialogue I really enjoy, plus strong characters (although temporarily weakened), tenderness, and a mystery as well. It has everything I'm looking for in a book. Normally I set historicals aside to read in two or three settings, but this one I finished in one day, despite life's numerous interruptions.
    Good luck with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recs, y'all! I'll definitely check them out. For the record, Loretta Chase won for now. I'm reading Lord Perfect now and will definitely read Last Night's Scandal.

    Jackie, Orlando is fun, crazy, wild, exhausting! New York next year??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my friend Cathy Mann pick a number from 1 to 4 and number 3 is the winner!

    Linda, I'll email you to get your snail mail address or you can email me at newtonwriterATgmailDOTcom (in proper email form, of course)

    Thanks for letting me visit today!

    ReplyDelete