Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Temptation Tuesday - Susan Meier

Susan Meier joins us with her ultimate indulgence - this crazy thing we call the Writing Life!

One month before I turned thirty, I threw a major hissy fit.


My husband said, “What is wrong with you?” I said, “I’m bored and not doing anything I want to do with my life.” He said, “What do you want to do?” and I said “Write.” And he said…So write.

Who would have guessed that two simple words would not only stave off boredom for the next … lots of years… but also start a career that’s been an absolute blast!

For one, I love airports. Going to conferences a few times a year gives me an opportunity to fly and eat five-dollar-a-slice-pizza and pay three dollars for a bottle of juice that should be a dollar-fifty. Who wouldn’t love that?

Second, I adore meeting new people. Conferences and contact with fans over email and at booksignings give me a chance to meet tons of people.

Third, it takes a lot of work and energy to write a book and I am never bored.

I write and rewrite every scene. I try different versions of scenes. I write and rewrite my synopsis. Then I create a storyboard to accommodate the changes I make while I’m writing. I research locations. I research occupations. I interview people.

And I do all this while keeping up a house, helping my oldest child (who is disabled) navigate life, being a wife, friend, mom, mentor, sister, aunt and cousin to thousands of people. (That’s an exaggeration, but not a huge one. There are 11 kids in my family. Sixty-three members in my immediate family.)

I love it.

I love getting up before everyone and putting in three or four hours on my stories. I love pouring over details. I love rewriting things, challenging myself to get it right or make it better. I love grammar. I don’t think anyone can know too much about grammar so I’m always reading grammar books. And books on how to write. I have shelves and shelves of books on writing. And I read and reread them.

Some people might think I’m crazy. I don’t argue. But I’m crazy in love with having the honor of being an author. My goal is to give readers the best possible books. Because, having been a reader for thirty years before I decided to add writer to my list of life duties, I know how much a good book can mean to a reader. I still get chills when I read something that’s above and beyond the other books in its genre. I still sigh with delight. I still become a fan girl when I see my favorite authors.

And I want to give that experience to you. I want you to laugh and cry with me. I want you to cheer for my characters and sigh with relief when they finally realize they are made to be together and that being together will enrich their lives.

I’m sighing now, just thinking about that blissful feeling.

That’s what I try to give readers in every book I write. A little bit of bliss.

I think I reached that goal in MAID FOR THE MILLIONAIRE and MAID FOR THE SINGLE DAD, my first “duet” for Harlequin Romance. The heroines in these two books have been abused. Liz by her father and Ellie by a former boyfriend.

But these two women are the most determined, most generous characters I’ve ever created. Liz owns a business and works to employ women who need a second chance. Ellie has such an accurate sixth sense about people that her friends call her Magic. Both deserve love. So their heroes had to be incredibly special. Cain remodels homes, donating both his time and the supplies to the charity Liz supports. Billionaire Mac is frazzled a hands-on dad for his two adorable children, Lacy a six-year-old and Henry still a baby. I hope you feel the bliss I felt writing that moment in each book when Liz and Ellie finally open their hearts to love again.

Susan is giving away a copy of her current release, MAID FOR THE MILLIONAIRE!  Post in the comments for your chance to win!

25 comments:

  1. Great post, Susan. I particularly like the sound of Cain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan I absolutely take my hat off to you. Where do you find the time to fit it all in? I really struggle with work, family and time so I have absolute admiration for the people who do it all, looking forward to reading your next story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy your remark about airports! Congratulations on your fascinating career, and long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Susan! I am quite intrigued by the story lines and characters of your lovely "Maid" books. I look forward to reading them both : ) The fact that you are an avid reader and have a love of words helps to make you a good writer. Authors who fall in love with their own characters and become very involved in their story lines are usually great storytellers! I also admire you very much for incorporating the subject of abuse into the "Maids" story lines. Whether we realize it or not, we all know someone who is a victim of abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan. Great post. Your books sound good. I like the cover to Maid for the Millionaire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan, I loved reading your inspiring post and I'd love to be in with a chance to win your first Harlequin Romance "duet".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love hearing an author's process, storyboarding sounds really interesting.

    And, it's great hearing how passionate you are about your writing, nothing makes me want to read an author's work more than knowing it comes from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,
    Sounds as if you like airports as much as I do!
    I'm looking forward to reading your books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan,
    Sounds like you have a very intereseting life that gives you joy even if it can be a lot of work.

    Maid for the Millionaire seems like it is a good book based on the excerpt that I had read on eHarlequin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christina (and all)

    I apologize for being late to the party today. I have a book due next Friday, and, I have to admit, it simply took me away today. All day.

    Which probably doesn't surprise anyone who read the blog! LOL

    But to address your comment, Christine, Cain is a wonderful, wonderful guy with his own sad story. The truth is Cain and Liz met when they were both young and happy and neither one of them was really ready to commit for the long-haul the way they did when they married.

    But when they meet again, after three years of being without the person they truly loved...they are more than ready.

    It's fun and sort of heart rending to watch them make their way back to each other.

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, I actually wrote a time management book a few years ago (about 15! LOL).

    I sent it to a publisher who rejected it saying the book was good, the principles sound, but I had no credentials to write a book on time management.

    I was shocked, but she didn't see actually managing a life as a credential. LOL!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Alison...I do love an airport. My favorite (so far) is Charlotte, a hub for US Air. Great restaurants. Lots of people to watch. Little shops for gifts.

    Great place!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Virginia, I totally agree.

    Back when I first started writing, the industry was in a boom so everybody and her cat was writing a romance. There were a great many "smart" people writing, who sort of looked down on me because I actually read the books! LOL

    But I became one of the first people I know to become published and I credit my love of the genre for pushing me ahead of the crowd.

    To me there's nothing like a good romance novel!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crystal

    I love the cover for this book. It reminds me of my favorite scene.

    s

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan R

    thanks for your comnment. You are entered for a chance to win the books!

    s

    ReplyDelete
  16. Summer

    My work definitely comes from the heart.

    I love storyboarding. it's a quick, easy way to keep track of a story as you go!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chey

    I thought I had an unnatural love of airports, until I met a few people who felt the same.

    They are the best places to people watch!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks, Amanda.

    I think it's great to have excerpts up on eHarlequin so you really can get a feel for the story!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow...you're a busy woman. I should definitely be able to find the time to write if you can do all that you do.

    Thanks for putting it in perspective.

    Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad I inspired you, Marcy!

    There are lots of days I get up at five and just enjoy the quiet time to write.

    It all depends on your schedule though!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad you made your heroes incredibly special. We need more people in the world like that! What a great inspiration! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think a good hero can make the book. He has to be someone who is real, yet still...somehow a cut above the rest. Believe it or not, my husband is one of those!

    I use him for inspiration!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Virginia C is the winner of the book!

    Please contact me through susanmeier.com to give me your snail mail addy adn I'll mail it out.

    congrats, Virginia!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oobie-Doobie! Thank you! I sent my contact info via your site!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats, Virginia!

    As they say...books are in the mail!

    susan

    ReplyDelete