Thursday, July 22, 2010

Slushing Through : The Writing Slump

Ah, summer. Pink Heart Society editor Jenna Bayley-Burke would like to apologize to those of you who are hibernating on the flip side, because up top the weather is the ultimate excuse.

Come on out, the weather's fine! There are always weeds to pull and plants to water, a book that needs reading as I relax in my cushy lounge chair. And it is all so much sweeter than the reality of writing.

Just like there are days you don't want to go to your day job (like when your friends are taking their kids to the coast), there are days you should write, but you just don't wanna. Usually these days are predicated by rejection letters, hard critiques, and even harder scenes to write.

In the winter, you write them anyway because you hate to be cold (OK, that's probably just me). In the summer, there are so many other things to do procrastination becomes an artform. In fact, there is a swanky decorting idea I'm about to attempt on my daughter's dresser. And I have to get her nursery changed into a big girl room while I can paint and leave the windows open. Shampooing the carpet even trumps writing in moods like this (in this heat, it will dry so fast!)

And then you can busy yourself with being a good parent or a great auntie by taking the kids to the movies or the water park, the all-comer's track meet or the forestry center. (All things I've done this week, and it's barely half over)

But, there comes a time - usually when your critique partner emails to make sure you're not dead, or your editor calls to ask if you're ever going to send her that road trip story you promised in, well, May - when you have to write anyway. Yep, you have to. Brain surgeons can't look at the weather and say - ya know, I think I'd rather take the kids to the zoo today. Nope, their day is all planned out. Things to do, things to do.

Hey, at least writing isn't brain surgery.

The only way to get over a writing slump is truly to write through it. It's the same for most things that we procrastinate. The only way to organize the pantry is to get in there and do it...hey, that sounds like a good idea....

Nope. Must set a timer. 30 minutes of doing nothing but what I should. And then if I still don't wanna, I can work on that pantry.

Compromising Positions just finalled in the Passionate Plume Contest. Was it the Kama Sutra yoga class, the chocolate, or something even more decadent that earned the honor? Check out Jenna's website and blog for more about her stories.

1 comment:

  1. The most wonderful timewasters (in a good way, of course) are children, animals and bees.
    I love them all - but I love writing, too. A delicious dilemma...