Wednesday, June 16, 2010

FIRST THINGS FIRST: PROMO TIME

And now, the moment we’ve all been waiting for… Okay, maybe it’s just me, but I’ve really been waiting…breathless with anticipation for this one!

(Drum roll please)

WILD FLING OR A WEDDING RING has hit the shelves in the US…and more specifically in my home town. And let me tell you, seeing that book shelved was nearly enough to make this debut Harlequin author swoon!

So when I tell you that I was on the floor in front of the book display at the local grocery last week, I get how you might jump to the conclusion that I’d fallen to my knees overcome by emotion, or perhaps paying homage to the publishing gods, or in some other equally understandable scenario.

But, alas, no.

I was there having my picture taken for the “Local Author” display. And as it happened, this bit of promo required me to kneel next to the low profile book rack, holding my precious clinch cover in front of me for fifteen minutes, while Team Trouble (that would be the twins) threatened to do their worst from atop a pallet of 20lbs salt bags. It was ridiculously fun and a great place to start for getting the word out locally. But it was just the tip of the proverbial promo iceberg.

Now don’t think I’ve got some crazy idea about jaunting off for my international book tour anytime soon! Not at all. But as an author without any established street credit in the line, I wanted to do what I could to get my name out there. I wasn’t looking for some hugely overblown promo plan, but I wanted my effort to extend a smidge farther than these city limits. Like globally.

Cue the internet.

Blogs, review sites, Facebook and word of Tweet specifically. Free and limited only by the effort one is willing to put in. Which in my case is a very real limit. I still have a book due next week, four kids home on Summer break, and a husband who likes to see me often enough that we can recognize each other on the street. So I needed to make some smart choices and use my promo time wisely. I spoke with the other authors in my line and got recommendations on which review sites to send my book to. Took advantage of several generous invites to guest blog, keeping in mind timing as each interview or article had to be unique. And did my best to maintain a social networking presence (though this, in particular, I struggle with). Basically I got my name out there.

And in the spirit of promo… here’s the back cover copy for WILD FLING OR A WEDDING RING, along with a link to an excerpt from the eHarlequin site!

WILD FLING OR A WEDDING RING? (Available Now!)

On her first night in Chicago, Cali McGovern meets seriously sexy surgeon Jake Tyler. She’s still sore after her last relationship, and her head’s yelling, run – but her body’s screaming for his touch... For the first time ever, her head gets overruled!

Jake isn’t looking for a wife – been there, done that – but his hot new neighbour is in town just long enough for a wild fling...perfect! Yet when the time’s up he can’t say goodbye. Is it just because of their sizzling chemistry – or something a whole
lot scarier?

Mira's second book, TABLOID AFFAIR, SECRETLY PREGNANT!, will be out in November 2010.

Come back next month for FIRST THINGS FIRST as we follow Mira's journey through the first year after The Call!

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations Mira - enjoy the feeling. It's a wild and wonderful ride you're on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sandra--it definitely is! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Mira. As I've said before on other sites - great book! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!
    Looks like Facebook and Twitter are good for something besides some people sharing parts of their lives we're better off not knowing. IMHO.
    I enjoy your posts here on PHS. You're guiding a lot of us pre-pubbed and I, personally, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it is a lovely book Mira... congrats on enjoying the PR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Mira - loved the publicity story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank Jackie! (And it always makes my day!!)

    Marcie, thank you so much. Means a lot to hear you're enjoying the posts. And FB and Twitter TMI, lol, yeah they work both ways. But I've definitely bought a new to me author because of chatter I read on Twitter or FB, and will again. They are great tools as often as great distractions.

    Michelle, thank you! Having lots of fun with the PR for sure! Seeing that book out is just so exciting.

    Christina, lol, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the debut! I've heard great things about this book and I'll be searching it out while I'm filching internet at the bookstore today. I figure buying a book is fair trade.

    I like to imagine flying everywhere for a glamorous book tour, but you're right, the internet is a suitable proxy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol, ((hugs)) Jeannie! I think that's definitely a fair trade!! As to the international book tour, lol, well, I can't even manage a jaunt off to Nationals this year (something about those four darling children threatening more mayhem than the man can handle on his own??) so I'll definitely take the internet as a next best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mira,

    I bought the book, but had to go to two Borders to get it. The first Borders was sold out (but still had copies of all the other June Presents titles). Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jamie!! You went to TWO Borders?? I love you. You're comment is totally going up on my bulleting board! All emotional now--and it isn't the extreme sleep deprivation or near crushing pressure of my deadline in two days either. *snif*
    What's funny is in MY TOWN, I went to the Target to take a picture of it on the shelf, (lol, cheesy, i know) and mine was fully stocked, but Nicola's OVERTIME IN THE BOSS'S BED was already sold out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mira,

    lol. Yes, I went to two Borders. Granted, they are only a few miles apart, so it wasn't too much of a hardship. (OK, I did grumble a wee bit when I saw that blank rack space where your book had been). But I really wanted your book. I love Modern Heats and your book blurb and wanted to support a new author.

    Glad I could make your day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!!! Mira you rock!! ;-) And I salute you taking two children while you did the photo shoot. That was intense bravery there. Can't wait to get the book!!

    ReplyDelete