Saturday, May 29, 2010

Wildcard Weekend: Getting What You Want

Harlequin Intrigue author Dana Marton says --You don’t Always get What you Want—But What You Get can be so Much Better

A friend of mine and I were talking about our jobs over the years. He’s had two. I had a dozen in the same amount of time. A few of the jobs I had ended due to the company closing. A few I had to leave due to moving because of my husband’s job. I have to say, I never once quit and walked away just because the work was hard and the pay was low, and most of my jobs fell in that category. My last traditional job ended when the international company I worked for closed their U.S. office I worked in. I can honestly say that was one of the best things that had ever happened to me.

I decided to keep my office hours while I was looking for work. I sat down by my computer at 8 a.m. and didn’t get up until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. In between sending out resumes, I started to write SHADOW SOLDIER. I’ve been writing on the side for about a dozen years by that point. But being able to give concentrated focus to my writing at last made a huge difference. SHADOW SOLDIER became the first book I ever sold. I didn’t get the steady, comes with benefits job I was looking for, but I got to see my dream of being a writer come true. I truly believe that sometimes God has something so much better in store for us than the thing we’re praying for so fervently.

The hero and heroine in my current release have similar experiences. Prince Lazlo, the Rebel Prince, has no intention of marrying. He’s happy running his car business and racing. Royal protocol already seems like a prison to him. He refuses the bonds of marriage. Milda Milas, a New York matchmaker from a long line of Lithuanian-American matchmakers isn’t looking for romance either. She travels to Europe to see Valtria’s troublesome prince married to save her ailing business. The prince wants complete freedom, Milda wants enough money to keep paying her bills. Romance is the last thing on their minds. But when they get stranded on a deserted island, they have to cope with the realization that they might just be each others destinies.

You can read more about Dana at her website: (Read about her royal bachelors in STRANDED WITH THE PRINCE, May 2010, Harlequin Intrigue, followed by ROYAL CAPTIVE, June 2010, Harlequin Intrigue)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me today! I hope everyone is having a great weekend. We started with a blockparty and big cookout. Tomorrow I'm going to have to go for a pretty long walk to make up for all this!--Dana