Saturday, May 22, 2010

Wildcard Weekend: Castle -- a Don't Miss Series

Love Inspired Suspense Author Terri Reed reveals why Castle is a Must Watch Series for her
About the TV Series “Castle”
Castle is a 1 hour witty drama based on a famous mystery novelist who helps the NYPD homicide department solve crimes.
Richard “Rick” Castle [Nathan Fillion] is a bestselling mystery author who was investigated by the New York City police department when the victim of a murder matched the description of a victim in one of his novels. At the time Castle was suffering writer’s block having just killed off the main character, Derrick Storm, in his successful series of novels. During the investigation Castle is inspired by his run-in with the beautiful Detective Kate Beckett [Stana Katic] and through his connections with the Mayor he gets permission to hang out as a consultant at the precinct to do research for his book.
Beckett is initially horrified by the idea of Castle tagging along referring to him as “a 9 year old on a sugar rush totally incapable of taking anything seriously” but as time progresses she learns to appreciate his unique approach to solving crimes. Rounding out the team at the precinct are Detectives Ryan [Seamus Dever] and Esposito [Jon Huertas] and Captain Montgomery [Ruben Santiago Hudson].

As an avid TV junkie I love this show. At times corny and over the top, the interplay between the characters entertains quite well. I love the sexual tension between Beckett and Castle. They have a great rapport as well as chemistry. I enjoy the duo of Ryan and Esposito. They play well off each other, alternating between comical and beleivable. And I have to say Captain Montgomery has some great facial expressions even if not as much air time as the others.

But mostly I like Castle. The character is endearing and cute and sexy and just the right balance hunky bachelor and father. I really enjoy the relationships between Castle, his daughter and his mother. The trio does a good job of balancing dysfunction and normalcy. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that Nathan Fillion is super attractive, a good actor ( you may remember him from Firefly and Serenity) and the inspiration for many of my hero’s in several of my books. In fact my hero in this month’s Love Inspired Suspense release Covert Pursuit was inspired by Nathan.
One other fun thing about watching this show is going to Lee Lofland’s blog on Tuesdays, (the show airs on Monday nights 10pm pacific time). Lee, a veteran police investigator, does a commentary on the police procedure used during each Castle episode.

So if you haven’t taken the time to watch Castle, pull up a chair, grab some popcorn and have some fun.

Covert Pursuit
By Terri Reed

Danger in the Keys
Boston Homicide Detective Angie Carlucci thought she was getting a much needed vacation. But her Florida Keys holiday is interrupted when she sees someone dump a body bag in the ocean. In the tangle between arms dealers and treasure hunters, she’s the only witness—and the main target. Unless a certain boat captain can keep her safe.
A pretty cop complicating his mission—and endangering his cover—is the last thing federal agent Jason Bodwell needs. Yet the more Jason and Angie work together, the closer they grow. Jason’s willing to risk his life to solve the case…what will he risk for love?


  1. My favorite show!!
    The season finale....can't give anything away now can I?

  2. I agree, this is a must see show. I think you nailed it on the head with Castle's personality being what draws you in.

    I hope they keep it on the line up for some time to come.

    Has anyone read the book they put out as if actually written by Richard Castle?

  3. Thanks for mentioning my blog, and I'm glad you've enjoyed the Castle reviews.

  4. I'm also a big Castle fan. And I hope this series survives for another season. And if you're a Buffy fan, you'll remember Nathan Fillion for his role as the blackest of villains in the final series. Then he pops up a hero.
    Anybody watch Joss Whedon's latest, The Dollhouse?

  5. I'm a huge Buffy fan, but I don't remember him being on there. Shame on me, I am going to pull my DVDs out and look for him. I did watch all the Dollhouse's before it got canned. I think they just didn't have enough time to make it into the great show it could have been. Poor Joss - I know he'll get another winner soon.

  6. I think TV just doesn't give a writer with innovative ideas like Joss time to gather his audience and refine his story.

    This stifles creativity.
    Remember the evil "preacher" in the final season of Buffy? Nathan!