Friday, May 28, 2010

Must Watch Friday: Angus, Thongs & Perfect Snogging

This week Brigid Coady was trying to remember what it is like to be a teenager, she scoured her DVD collection and decided on this recent teen film

About six years ago my sister and I were catching a train from Seattle to Vancouver when we realised we were running low on books. I know! Bad planning on our part! Big Sis made an emergency run for the bookstore at the station and came back with two pink and sparkly books. Two books that were not her usual business tomes or worthy awards winners. One was called 'Angus, Things and Full Frontal Snogging', the other was 'On The Bright Side, I'm Now The Girlfriend of a Sex God' (UK Title: 'It's OK, I'm Wearing Really Big Knickers') both by Louise Rennison. They were the first in a series called 'Confessions of Georgia Nicolson'. Within the first three pages Coady Major was sniggering and guffawing and by the end of the train journey we were fans of these teenage diaries.

So when a few years ago they made a film of it, retitling it as 'Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging' my sister made sure I got a copy of the DVD for Christmas.

Georgia Nicolson is fourteen and all she wants is to have the greatest fifteenth birthday party ever and a boyfriend. The film follows her and the Ace Gang and their sometimes cringing encounters with boys. Does Georgia get to go out with the Sex God? Will she get her birthday party at the club with a DJ? Will her Dad drag her to New Zealand? If you want to relive all those embarrassing, toe curling but heart stopping feelings of first love then check this out. And once you've seen the film you must check out the books.

I give this 8/10 for fun teen love fun.

Brigid has finished the first draft of her YA novel and will be letting it ferment while she watches more teen movies than you can shake a stick at.


  1. Got to admit this film made me giggle.... And reminded me rather painfully of what it was like to have a mad crush on a boy and at the same time have to totally ignore him so he wouldn't know you had a mad crush on him (who invented that rule anyway!).

    Being a teenager is agony and ecstasy in equal measures. How grateful am I that I'm not still riding that hormonally charged rollercoaster! But boy it's fun to watch someone else ride it!

  2. Heidi - That is why I loved this film so much. The agony and ecstasy. Mind you all the having a mad crush on a boy and having to ignore him so no one will know hasn't changed that much! You should also read the books if you get a chance.

  3. Read these w/our then 14yr old. Laughed, hid faces in hands, groaned, snorted, giggled - bonded. She claims never-to-be-forgotten experience. I agree. Haven't seen the film, must plan movie night with her.
    Thanks for reminding me.
    Great blog, Brigid Coady fab!