Saturday, April 03, 2010

Wild Card Weekend : Spring Fever

Inspy author Margaret Daley joins us for Wild Card Weekend - and a taste of spring!

You probably want to know what spring has to do with writing. Well, nothing directly except I find myself wanting to skip writing and spend more time outside after a long winter. It does become harder to plant my butt in the chair and write. So first, I’m asking what do you do to keep yourself on track when the great outdoors (with lots of sunshine and flowers) is calling you? Right now the gorgeous day is shouting my name.

What I really want to write about is what spring means and how it applies to a writer. When I think of spring, I think of renewing and refreshing. Nature does it and it is so welcomed by me. Nothing beats seeing the trees putting leaves on, flowers coming up, bushes leafing out and blooming. Nature’s colors change from dull, drab ones to vibrant colors that just looking at them helps me feel renewed and ready for whatever is next. That’s what I want to be able to do as a writer whenever I need it.

As much as I wish I could have spring more than a few months a year (Can you tell spring is my favorite season?), I can’t, at least not in Oklahoma where it will get extremely hot in the summer. So what do I do to renew myself as a writer throughout the year?

When I finish a book, I treat myself to a double dip ice cream cone (cookie dough) guilt free and a few days off from writing before I start my next project. I try to build in some rewards for accomplishing certain things, but is that enough? What do you do to refresh yourself? Give yourself a boost to accomplish what you need to do? Do you have favorite music you listen to? Read a special book? Go out with friends or family somewhere you enjoy? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bio: Margaret Daley is an award winning, multi-published author in the romance genre. One of her romantic suspense books, Hearts on the Line, won the American Christian Fiction Writers’ Book of the Year Contest. Recently she has won the Holt Medallion, Golden Quill Contest, FHL’s Inspirational Readers’ Choice Contest, Winter Rose Contest, and the Barclay Gold Contest. She wrote for various secular publishers before the Lord led her to the Christian romance market. She currently writes inspirational romance and romantic suspense books for the Steeple Hill Love Inspired lines. She has sold sixty-six books to date. You can visit her web site and read excerpts from her books at

Cowboy Protector, Love Inspired Suspense, March 2010

Two years ago, Hannah Williams left the Witness Protection Program—and she's been running ever since. To stay ahead of the mob, she changes her name and location constantly. So when she takes a job caring for a Montana rancher's sick daughter, she expects to leave soon. But little Misty Taylor tugs at Hannah's heartstrings—and so does her handsome father. Hannah knows Austin Taylor suspects she's keeping secrets. But how can she tell him the truth without endangering the pair she's come to love?

Love Lessons, Love Inspired, April 2010

Home schooling his daughter is new to devoted single father Ian Ferguson. To ensure his child gets a good education, the busy CPA hires a temporary tutor. Twenty-three-year-old college student Alexa Michaels is too young--and too pretty--to be right for the job. Yet his daughter is coming out of her shell and learning. Still, Ian is traditional, and sweet Alexa--who graduated from the school of hard knocks--is challenging some of his old-school ways. Can this dad learn some valuable lessons about love, family and faith from the least likely teacher?


  1. I love spring too, Margaret. The flowers and blooming trees are so pretty, even if they make me sneeze. :)

    When I finish a book, I usually go to a favorite restaurant with my husband to celebrate. Or, I might go out with a good friend. :D

  2. I love Spring as well. Love getting back outside and into the sunshine. Your latest releases look great!

    Um...I haven't finished a book in a while. Yikes! :o)


  3. Hello, Margaret. I enjoyed the post. I absolutely love this time of the year. My current novel has a gardener who is also the love interest.I actually enjoyed writing the scenes with him and the heroine while in the greenhouse and on the estate where he works. And going back and reworking them became a break from the rest of my story.

  4. Thanks for posting, Vickie, Kit and Pat. It is gorgeous here right now and the sunshine is calling me. It is so hard to stay in and write when it's like this.


  5. LOL, when I finish a book I always tell myself to take a week off to rest. But, then, the next morning, there I am again in front of the computer.

  6. Pamela, I do the same thing. It's hard to take time away unless I leave town--even then you can take it with you.

  7. Hi Margret, Spring is my favorite season! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. : ) I absolutely love the Love Lessons cover! That little girl is sooo cute. I homeschooled my kids, so I will be sure to look for this one. : )


  8. Margaret, How can you have written 66 books when you're only 22?