Thursday, April 22, 2010

Soundtrack To Your Life!

Brigid talks about those songs which make up the soundtrack of your life

Just like in a film your life has a soundtrack, those songs that when you hear them you are instantly transported to what you were doing, what you were thinking and more importantly what you were feeling at that time.

We all have those songs that give you goosebumps or even songs that turn your stomach! I can't hear 'Teardrops on the Dance Floor' without being instantly transported to my lonely bedroom in sixth form, the plastic smell of a new kettle, the taste of instant coffee with whitener and the constant feeling of being on the edge of tears. Or when hearing the theme to 'War of the Worlds' I still want to hide in my room with a pillow over my head... so scared.

Of course there is also the good songs. The song that was playing when I had my first kiss, ironically it was Robin Beck's 'First Time'. Cliche? Oh yes! That song that is 'your song' that will make both of you smile when you hear it and exchange a secret glance or if you are apart to want to call or send a message.

And then there are the break up songs! Those songs that you played over and over wringing as much meaning out of the lyrics as possible. Alanis Morrissette anyone?

When I'm writing and I need to send myself back to remember what it is like to feel a certain way I find myself going back to revisit those key songs and as my mind makes those connections I am reliving it again. I take those thoughts and feelings and layer them into my writing.

What is the soundtrack to your life?

Brigid Coady is currently working on a YA novel. Her short story 'The Great Leap Forward' is being published in the anthologyEven More Tonto Short Stories on 6 May 2010.


  1. What an interesting post Biddy. And I'm really impressed you can remember the song that was playing when you had your first kiss. I was 11 and on a freezing cold sand dune in Normandy with a very dishy 13 year old french boy so it's probably good there wasn't a song playing or it would probably have been some naff Europop thing and completely spoiled the memory for ever after.

    Songs that bring back great memories of my yuff are Rock at the Casbah by the Clash (pogoing in the Brixton Academy and pretending to be a punk). Neneh Cherry's Buffalo Stance (looking cool in Camden Market - or thinking you looked cool) and dirty dancing to Ain't Nobody by Rufus and Chaka Khan!! Ah thems were the days.

  2. Heidi - I remember it because it was such a cliche! My first kiss was when I was 16 (late bloomer plus all girls boarding school). His name was Carlos and he had been eating chicken crisps... *shudders*

  3. I compiled a mix CD awhile ago with songs that summed up my life in one way or another. I posted it here