Monday, April 05, 2010

Male on Monday :: Bradley Cooper

When starting to write her 21st book, Harlequin Presents and Harlequin Romance author Ally Blake went in search of a new hero.

After writing 20 books, casting the right hero can be downright tricky. Falling back on old favourites can work a treat, but sometimes you just know you need someone new. Someone who'll surprise you. Someone you find attractive, charming, masculine and refreshing with just th right je ne sais quoi for a hero you'd fall head over heels for. It's a mammoth task. One I'm always happy to undertake ;).

Along the way, I found Bradley Cooper.

His first ever pro gig was in SEX AND THE CITY. Apparently he did 5 years on ALIAS. I can't believe I never noticed him on the ads!
You couldn't help noticing him after the impact he made as the heroine's revolting fiance, the preppy bully "Sack" Lodge, in THE WEDDING CRASHERS. He made my skin crawl every time he was on screen. Shiver... Though surely it takes a special kind of guy, one who is very confident in himself to throw himself into such an unsympathetic part.

He next appeared as a blip on my radar in the fabulous FAILURE TO LAUNCH. He plays Demo, Matthew McConaughey's handsome slacker friend. And he plays handsome well. Did I mention he was a slacker to boot? Mmm, pattern forming???

Next I found him in HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU. I found his the most difficult of all the intertwining stories in that film. He played the cheating husband who'd only married the girl in the first place because it was either that or break up. Ouch.

Since then he's and he starred in last year's big hit THE HANGOVER, as Phil, a guy who was clearly happy to let what happend in Vegas stay in Vegas while his wife and kids stayed home.

Wow. How does he keep doing this? Playing majorly flawed guys. Unlikable guys. And growing a beloved audience as he goes? Someone somewhere said he had an "unexpected knack for playing the confident jerk you can’t resist." So true. It's a skill. And don't we like a man with a skill?

More about the man behind the parts:

He's a Georgetown grad with an English major. Man after my own heart!


He was married to Jennifer Esposito for a few months but is now single once more. Since then he's dated Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Aniston and is now squiring Renee Zellweger. I'm quite happy with his choices on that score.

In real life he has just the kind of deep husky voice I go nuts over. He's gorgeous. And he's very good at playing an irresistible bad boy. For that, and his gutsy professional choices he's on my radar for good.

Ally's latest novel is Mills and Boon Romance MILLIONAIRE DAD'S SOS out world right now! Grab a copy from the Book Depository and get free delivery anywhere in the world!

Missed any of Ally's most recent releases? Check out eHarlequin's eBooks!

Find out more on Ally's website and blog.


2 comments:

  1. Oooohhh! He's soooo hot! Loved him in Alias and The Hangover - he's def got the looks for your next hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally, I'm jealous. Since I write inspirationals, I'll never get an "abs" cover. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete