Monday, February 15, 2010

Male On Monday - Mark Harmon



It is Monday which can mean only one thing... MALE ON MONDAY! And on the day after Valentine's Day, Brigid Coady is here to remind you of the joy that is Mark Harmon






Ahhh Mark Harmon... where do I begin? We could begin about when I first found him, it was years ago when he was on St Elsewhere and I was a young and impressionable girl.
There he was Dr Robert Caldwell, so handsome. How we swooned. Of course he also of course played the first major character in a US TV series to be diagnosed with HIV.
Then of course he turned up playing opposite Sean Connery in The Presidio. And then he was back playing a medical man as Dr Jack McNeil in Chicago Hope.

But his finest hour is of course, Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs in NCIS





But I'm getting ahead of myself. Mark Harmon was born on 2 September 1951 in Burbank, California. He was an excellent College football player and graduated from UCLA with a BA in Communications cum laude. Whilst he tried to figure out what he wanted to do he fell into acting. Aren't we all glad he did?







And he has been married to Pam Dawber, she played Mindy in 'Mork and Mindy' since 1987 and they have two children.









But why do we like Mark Harmon so much? I think it has to do with his latest character the gruff alpha Leroy Jethro Gibbs. The former Marine sniper who leads an NCIS investigation team with an iron fist. But it is an iron fist over what is obviously a caring and compassionate man. The small tells when he deals with small children or Abby tells you everything. And he is flawed. But we love him anyway. If you haven't caught NCIS, you should. Some might prefer the younger members of the cast but my heart will always be Mark's, it will beat always for Gibbs.

Brigid's short story 'The Great Leap Forward' will be published in Even More Tonto Short Stories on 6th May 2010

18 comments:

  1. I didn't know he was married to Pam. I love NCIS, its one of my favorite shows..up there with Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, Mark. Tom Harmon's kid -- which shows my age, but I remember him when... and he's improved with age.

    Lovely man, talented actor. And Gibbs is a role to die for. I'm so glad Mark has it and has made it his own.

    And he's given the back-of-the-head smack new meaning. I love it!

    Thanks, Biddy. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mistress of the Dark - We haven't got Castle over here yet but I did see the first season online. Can't wait!

    Anne - he just gets better and better. Also the phrase 'D'ya think?' has never been sooo sexy ;)

    Biddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love him! I love him! I love him!
    NCIS is fab, but he is the real showstealer.
    He was also briefly in West Wing as CJ's boyfriend who got shot in a convenience store. Boo hoo!
    This is definitely my favourite Male on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan - Another fan! There does seem to be a large untapped Mark Harmon fan club.

    I keep thinking if you could harness him as Jethro into a hero with a suitably sassy older heroine you could have a fantastic story.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Whaddaya got, Abs?" I love it. LOVE NCIS. I know Biddy isn't getting the current season but his latest "love" interest (though it's just been verbal sparring and a lot of chemistry) has been really great.

    Gibbs is still my fave too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew you would want to comment! And I am trying to ignore your spoilers for this season... :-P

    Gibbs will always be number one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you're on a show with Michael Weatherly and you're STILL the hottest, sexiest man on the show? That's an achievement. Mark Harmon is great, and Leroy Jethro Gibbs is one of the most fascinating, watchable characters on television.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will NOT say he's old enough to be my dad...I will NOT!! (LOL...please LOL...it was a joke!!)

    But I read Mark and I got all excited, because as many of you know, I have a new Mark Valley obsession...

    I've never seen NCIS, am I missing something??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paula - Michael Weatherly is taking notes I'm sure.

    Maisey - you are definitely missing something! Not just for the eye candy but some good characters and dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! Now it sounds like I need to add another show to my list and I will be even more unproductive! *shrugs* oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maisey - it isn't being unproductive it is called 'research' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I LOVE Mark! He's drool-worthy for sure!! Sigh, he made my list with St. Elsewhere and has somehow held his slot ever since. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mira - another fan! Excellent!

    I'm so glad I picked Mark, so popular. I can't believe he hadn't been picked before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mark Harmon I am watching him right now he is so handsome. What can I say about him he's wow yummy. He makes NCIS to and I just love him and Abby's connection there between them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have actually loved Mark Harmon since he was on a little show called Flamingo Road playing Fielding Carlyle opposite Morgan Fairchild as his wife Constance. And yes, St. Elsewhere. I think PEOPLE magazine chose him to be the first sexiest man alive. Have to admire a man who has been married to the same woman for 22 years in Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He's the reason I watch NCIS! I remember him in a movie called Summer School.
    Gosh, I think I'm swooning.

    ReplyDelete