Monday, February 22, 2010

Male On Monday - The Big Three with Pamela Yaye

Welcome Kimani Author Pamela Yaye with this week's Male on Monday!

Idris. Terrence. Boris. The big three. That’s what women everywhere call them. These men are the finest African-American actors around. They are part of the new crop of Hollywood actors who are stealing hearts all around the world. And cashing in at the box office too. I’m going to tell you a bit about these gorgeous, chocolate-brown hotties, starting with the only man I dream of besides my husband (don’t tell!), IDRIS ELBA.


Born on September 6, 1972, this London-born superstar exploded unto the American television scene when he played a corrupt drug-dealer for three seasons on HBO’s smash hit, The Wire. In 2001, he appeared in the critically acclaimed film, Buffalo Soldiers, which was nominated for a half dozen film awards. Over the next five years, Idris Elba kept busy by staring in several television shows and movies. In 2007, he appeared in The Reaping and later that year he played a wayward son in the holiday movie, This Christmas. The small-budget film went on to gross $50 million dollars worldwide.

You may not know his name, but you certainly know his face. All of you will recognize Idris Elba from the 2009 thriller, Obsessed. Co-stars Beyonce Knowles and Ali Larter did a formidable job playing his doting wife, and disillusioned colleague, but there was one reason and one reason only why the movie took in $28 million dollars it’s opening weekend: Mr. Elba’s endearing smile! Not only was he named one of People magazine’s 100 Most Beautiful People, he was featured on the cover of Essence and Ebony magazine that same year.


TERRENCE DASHON HOWARD is a triple threat.

This 41-year-old actor is also an aspiring singer and rapper. He’s a hazel-eyed, creamy skinned bad boy who women just can’t seem to get enough of. His first major role was in the 1995, Mr. Holland’s Opus, and he recently wrapped up filming his 44th film, Little Murder.

I don’t know what it is about this man, but there’s something about him that stops me dead in my tracks. It doesn’t matter if he’s playing a crooked police officer in the movie, Crash or hosting an awards show, the moment he appears on the screen, I sit up and take notice. And I’m not the only one. So, if you enjoy watching compelling, thought-provoking films, check out this Chicago native in Ray (2004), Four Brothers (2005) and The Brave One (2007).

Like all my other girlfriends, I have a HUGE crush on one very sexy, very gorgeous Austrian-American actor named BORIS KODJOE. Whenever my Kimani editor and I talk, his name always comes up. He’s the epitome of the perfect hero. Not only is this former model-turned actor nice to look at, he’s a proud father and husband, who puts his family above everything else. According to what I’ve read, he won’t do any movie projects that keep him away from his family for an extended period of time. In my book, that makes him even more attractive.

Boris Kodjoe made jaws drop when he joined the Showtime drama, Soul food. He played a courier-turned-sports agent with killer charm (and abs!), and the moment he made his debut, the ratings shot through the roof. The show was great before, but Boris made it infinitely better. He’s only been in six Hollywood movies, but who cares when you’ve got a legion of adoring fans and regular TV guest stops on the most popular sitcoms? One day soon, Boris Kodjoe will be a household name. Mark my words: that brother is here to stay!

I love looking at a hot, dreamy man as much as the next girl, and bad boys make me swoon too, but someone who has integrity, morals and good old family values will always be at the top of my list. What about you?



Pamela Yaye’s seventh Kimani release, LOVE ON THE ROCKS, received 4++ stars from Romance In Color this month, and this is what the reviewer had to say:

Pamela Yaye tells a story of destiny in LOVE ON THE ROCKS. Tangela Howard is used to running from her problems and never looking back. Warrick Carver is accustomed to seeing things through to the end. It’s amazing how two people, who, to others, seem so wrong for each other, are so perfect for each other. Pamela Yaye uses her unflappable ability as a writer to tell a story through Tangela and Warrick and to encourage readers to never give up on the one you love.


And check out Pamela’s Kimani Hottie, Marcel Benoit, in her November 2010 release, PLEASURE FOR TWO.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! Three for the price of one! What a wonderful way to start the week. I have a smile on my face to take me through the day. I have been avoiding The Wire but if that is the eye candy I might just have to take a look. Thanks Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a collection of hotties Pamela. Have to say The Wire is quite possibly the best TV show ever made IMHO and Idris as Stringer Bell! Was absolutely devastated when they killed him off.

    As for Terrence Howard, I thought he was superb in Crash but especially loved him in Hustle & Flow, a terrific little movie and he was terrific in it.

    Don't know your man Boris, but will be keeping my eye out for him now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, Idris Elba. I first saw him in a British series about vampire hunting cops way back in maybe the early 90s? I'd have to look it up. It was called Ultraviolet and it rocked and he was one of the highlights of it. Idris was the star of absolutely the best sequence in the entire series and I still love the way he saved the day there. Hmm, I feel like hunting up the DVDs now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummy!!! Way to kick start the week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep telling that history:

    Read the novel, Rescue at Pine Ridge, "RaPR", a great story of black military history...the first generation of Buffalo Soldiers.

    How do you keep a people down? ‘Never' let them 'know' their history.

    The 7th Cavalry got their butts in a sling again after the Little Big Horn Massacre, fourteen years later, the day after the Wounded Knee Massacre. If it wasn't for the 9th Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers, there would of been a second massacre of the 7th Cavalry.

    Read the novel, “Rescue at Pine Ridge”, 5 stars Amazon, Barnes & Noble and the youtube trailer commercial...and visit the website http://www.rescueatpineridge.com

    I hope you’ll enjoy the novel. I wrote it from my mini-series movie of the same title, “RaPR” to keep my story alive. Hollywood has had a lot of strikes and doesn't like telling our stories...its been “his-story” of history all along…until now. The movie so far has attached, Bill Duke directing, Hill Harper, Glynn Turman and a host of other major actors in which we are in talks with…see imdb.com at; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0925633/

    When you get a chance, also please visit our Alpha Wolf Production website at; http://www.alphawolfprods.com and see our other productions, like Stagecoach Mary, the first Black Woman to deliver mail for Wells Fargo in Montana, in the 1890's, “spread the word”.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, definitely check out Boris Kodjoe. I plan to buy the entire "Soul Food" series as an early birthday gift to myself (because I deserve it!) He also starred in "The Gospel", a family-friendly movie about faith and forgiveness.

    I singled out three of my favorite actors, but was there are a few other leading me I really like too. Who would you put on your top three list?

    ReplyDelete