Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FIRST THINGS FIRST: AFTER THE CALL

Modern Heat author Mira Lyn Kelly takes us from first sale through the first year of publication.

I’ll admit it, prior to “the call” I spent an unconscionable amount of time fantasizing about what it would be like to sell to Harlequin. Though as elaborate and varied as my fantasies were, they tended to jump straight from “the call” to me snuggling up with a crate of hot-off-the-press paperbacks, skipping everything in between.

I didn’t think too much about what would happen once I hung up the phone. And I really didn’t expect that after less than three hours of blissed out post-“call” euphoria, break-time would be over. But sure enough, by 11a.m. the first in a flurry of emails was waiting in my in-box.

Though the book was being purchased, it wasn’t perfect yet, so there were maybe a dozen revision notes. Most were quick fixes, but a couple were not so quick. And in addition to getting those turned around, I needed to get a bio written, a blog post in for IHeartPresents, a pen name sorted out, and myriad other little details attended to…ASAP.


And of course, there was that one other thing.

I had four months to write the next book and a few days to put together three story ideas for my editor to choose from. Each one including a brief synopsis, hooks, themes, setting, character information, conflicts and storyline. Probably 1-2 pages per story. Again, the sooner the better, because until I got my editor’s approval on one of the ideas, I couldn’t get going on writing the actual story—and four months suddenly seemed like not so long at all.

And that’s when it hit me.

This was the first day of my brand new, shiny dream job and it was time to get to work.



I couldn’t wait!
Come back next month for FIRST THINGS FIRST as we follow Mira's journey through the first year after The Call!
**WILD FLING OR A WEDDING RING will be available May 2010 in the UK and in June 2010 in the US!

10 comments:

  1. This is great. Will look for it each month.


    Thanks for sharing, Mira.


    Abbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four months? Yikes!
    Who decides the timeframe? You - as in are you asked when the next one can be done or Them because of the number of titles they publish each month?
    Thanks for sharing - I guess the easy part was over - you can take your time writing the first one before you get The Call, but after that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Abbi!

    Marcia, writing on deadline was a huge challenge for me, but it's amazing what you can do when you really put your mind to it...and forget about laundry and cleaning completely, lol. I...um... had some catching up to do when that book got turned in! My editor suggested the timeframe--but in question form. Would this work for me...
    I agreed.
    The four months gave me the time to put a story together (and I did get it in on time, lol), and left an addition two month cushion for revisions before the book would be due in C/E. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And... and... and... (and don't forget meeting the rest of your Mod Hot sisters!)


    Ah, the discovery that just when you thought you'd crested the hill and arrived, there was so much more. The learning curve is steep, but so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Kim ;o)

    And welcome to the world of becoming a less-than-domestic-goddess... LOL

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate and Kimberly!!
    Lol, and of course meeting all the Mod Hot girls exceeded even my wildest dreams!! More on my star-struck fluster next month,lol
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh don't leave it there! Can't wait for the next installment. I love call stories. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caroline, lol, I know. I love call stories too. I get all choke up reading about everyone's big news! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks Mira for answering.
    I wasn't sure if I was being too nosy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks quite a great post, it's having good information for research analysis. great job

    ReplyDelete