Saturday, December 12, 2009

Weekend Wind-Down: Christmas Recipe

For this weekend-wind down, Fiona Harper is sharing one of her secrets in her wind-up to Christmas – delicious pork and chestnut stuffing that is easy to make and far superior to anything that comes out of a packet!

I found this recipe for stuffing back in the early 90s, and I’ve never cooked anything else to go with my Christmas turkey since. It’s that good! You can use vacuum-packed chestnuts for this (if you must), but frozen are much better, as you get that lovely nutty, softly crunchy texture. Heaven. I'm drooling as I type, honestly I am.

I would have included a picture with the recipe, but it seems to disappear too fast to capture on film!

Pork and Chestnut Stuffing
(Serves 8)
8oz/225g pork sausagemeat
4oz/100g butter
4oz/100g white breadcrumbs
4oz/100g frozen chestnuts, thawed and finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
4oz/100g onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp grated fresh horseradish (or 1 tbsp horseradish sauce)

1. Mix together the butter with the pork sausagemeat. Add the rest of the ingredients to the butter and sausagemeat and mix until combined. Season well.

2. If you want to use the stuffing in your turkey, spoon half the mixture into the neck cavity of the bird and fold the flap of skin underneath. Truss the turkey loosely or secure the skin with a couple of cocktail sticks. Remember to weigh the turkey now it has been stuffed and adjust cooking times accordingly.

3. Put the rest of the stuffing into an oven-proof dish and cook at 350F, 180C, Gas 4 for 30 minutes. (The stuffing can cook after you’ve taken the turkey out of the oven, while it’s resting before carving).

My tip? Save some stuffing for eating leftovers – turkey, stuffing and bread sauce sandwiches, with a dash of cranberry sauce are my Boxing Day must-have.

Fiona’s latest release is Invitation To The Boss's Ball, is still available at eHarlequin and Mills&Boon.

In this modern-day Cinderella story, plain Alice's world is turned upside down when she's askes to organise tycoon Cameron Hunter's charity ball...

She finds herself spending a magical night dancing in his arms, even though she knows that everything will be back to normal on Monday morning. But for now, she's going to enjoy every second...
A Romantic Times Review Magazine TOP PICK! "Soundly plotted, funny and emotional, this one has it all."


  1. Yum!! Definitely giving this a try.... Sounds as if even someone as culinarily-challenged as I am might be able to pull it off

  2. Mmmmm, I can practically smell it cooking now. Roast turkey with pork stuffing--that has to smell divine.

  3. It does smell divine! And the horseradish gives it a little kick!

  4. Sounds great! I'll have to give the recipe to DH since he's the cook in the family. I'm afraid I'd find some way to mess it up. 'Heating' vs 'cooking' is more my speed, LOL.