Thursday, October 08, 2009

Soundtrack Thursday - Invitation To The Boss's Ball

The soundtrack to Invitation To The Boss's Ball has to be one of my favourites. I wrote most of the book while listening to it on my ipod. It was a way of cutting myself off from the noise and distractions of the outside world and immersing myself in Alice and Cameron's universe.

I build my soundtracks chronologically - but that I mean the songs relate to different stages of the book and I try and put them in an order that reflects my hero and heroine's emotional journeys. There are always a couple of songs that stand out to me and become inspiration for the writing of key scenes. I often play them on continuous repeat while I write those scenes. You'd think I'd get sick of the songs, but I never seem to - not even after the book is finished.

Here's the full playlist for Invitation To The Boss's Ball. It's a big of a strange collection, but the songs all seemed to follow an emotional thread for me. Listening back to them now, I realise that many of them have a lilting rhythm, and are the kind of songs I could imagine dancing or waltzing to. Weird. I didn't notice this at the time.

1. Throw it Away - Delta Goodrem
I liked this one because it summed up Cameron's high-and-mighty attitude at the beginning of the book.

2. Crush - Jennifer Page
"It's just a little crush..." Yeah, who is Alice kidding?

3. The King of Wishful Thinking - Go West
So Cameron thinks he's immune to Alice, does he? He might as well keep right on dreaming.

4. City - Sara Bareilles
This is the first song that captured me and would not let me go as I wrote this book.

Right in the middle of the story there is a scene where Alice and Cameron eat a takeaway picnic on the floor of his Canary Wharf office. Alice looks out over the city twinkling away below her, knows it's madness to feel anything for Cameron, but still can't help herself.
"In these deep city lights, a girl could get lost tonight..."

The way Sara Bareilles sings the line, "These boys only listen to me when I sing" sends shivers up my spine.

5. I'm With You - Avril Lavigne
"Won't you take me by the hand, take me somehwere new?"
I wondered why I included this when I looked down my list, but then I heard the lyrics, telling of a girl desperate to break out of her life, and listened to the 3/4 waltz rhythm and I remembered why.

6. Don't Dream It's Over - Sixpence None The Richer.
I've always liked this song and when I discovered it on a Sixpence None The Richer CD I'd bought in a sale, I fell in love with it all over again. I love the lead singer's voice.

7. She Will Be Loved - Maroon 5
"Look for the girl with the broken smile..."

8. Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
After seeing the beautiful rhumba danced to this song in "Strictly Ballroom" I couldn't not include it in a soundtrack that was all about dancing.

9. Runaway - The Corrs
Another one in 3/4 time. This song gives a sense of being on the verge of something, and I could imagine it going through Alice's head as she watches Cameron bid for her dress at the charity fashion show.

10. Gravity - Sara Bareilles:
"You hold me without touch. You keep me without chains..."
This was definitely another of the key songs for the book. This song was the one I listened to as I wrote the scene where Cameron and Alice waltz on the balcony, as the music from the ball below drifts up and surrounds them.

11. Fall At Your Feet - Crowded House
"I'll be waiting when you call."
Cameron's ready to give Alice his heart, but she's too scared to accept it.

12. When You Know - Shawn Colvin
"Cos you know, and you know that you know."
This song has a sense of coming home to me, of realisation. It matches Alice's sudden awakening as she realises that Cameron always looked at her "as if he meant it". (Picture me shaking my head). Silly girl.

13. What Kind of Fool? (Autumn Rhapsody version)
"What kind of fool won't discover the jewel til the dust clears? Fools like us..."

I love this band. I own this song on 12" vinyl, and the Autumn Rhapsody version is even better than the 7" version, full of sweeping vocals and soaring violins. It decribes Cameron's journey for me.

Fiona’s latest release is Invitation To The Boss's Ball, on sale at eHarlequin and Mills&Boon and in bookshops in Australia and New Zealand

In this modern-day Cinderella story, plain Alice's world is turned upside down when she's askes to organise tycoon Cameron Hunter's charity ball...

She finds herself spending a magical night dancing in his arms, even though she knows that everything will be back to normal on Monday morning. But for now, she's going to enjoy every second...


  1. I love the Sar Barielles one and will now have to look out for her.

  2. I love, love, love her album. Can't wait for the next one. 'Between the Lines', which was also on it, was the theme song for the book I've just finished.