Thursday, September 24, 2009

What Are You Reading? with Melissa McClone

Welcome back to Romance author Melissa McClone - and a bit on what's on her bookshelf for our What Are You Reading Thursday!

I read all types of books and more than one at once. I love reading a novel from beginning to end, even if it takes half the night. That's hard to do these days, except with my beloved category romances! My favorite evenings are when I put the kids to bed, pour myself a glass of wine, pick a Harlequin Romance or Presents from my TBR pile and don't stop reading until I reach "THE END."

Unfortunately, the only category romance I've been reading, really re-reading, is my own. Rescued by the Magic of Christmas was a November release last year from Harlequin Romance. I'm currently writing a sequel to the book so I'm reading it to make sure I get things right. I normally don't (okay never) reread my books once they've gone to print so this has been a weird experience for me. I'm reading with a highlighter in hand marking things I need to know for the sequel so fortunately that has quieted my highly critical internal editor.

I'm also reading Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne with my six year old. I run a weekly book club for five to eight year olds, and that's our current selection. I'm introducing the kids to the five elements of fiction using children's literature. We started with plot and conflict using The Tale of Peter Rabbit, and this week will be reviewing those two elements with the first story in Winnie the Pooh, before adding in Character next week.

I love reading writing craft books. I'm currently pouring over Save the Cat Goes to the Movies by Blake Snyder. I'd been meaning to buy it ever since Trish Wylie, Claire Baxter and Jessica Hart went on a search for it at Borders in San Francisco after we heard Blake speak at the RWA conference in 2008, but never got around to it. After Blake died suddenly in August, I realized I'd never read the book so went on a search for it. None of my local bookstores carried it. I was planning to order it online, but my husband surprised me with a copy for my birthday a couple of weeks ago!

The final book I'm reading arrived from Amazon two days ago. It's a cookbook called Fix Freeze Feast. With our busy schedule and writing deadlines, I've been looking for some ways to be more organized around the house and in the kitchen. I love my Crockpot, but my family doesn't want slow-cooker meals every night. I'd read about this book on a blog and decided to give it a try. The recipes look good and easy. I can't wait to try one! When I do, I'll write about it on my blog!

Melissa McClone's newest release, Memo: The Billionaire's Proposal, is on the shelves now. It's also available at eharlequin or Mills & Boon. You can read an excerpt at Melissa's website.


  1. I love the idea of using Winnie the Pooh and Petere Rabbit to teach conflict, character and plot.

  2. I love Blake's SAVE THE CAT book!

    I have to confess I don't read cookbooks...but maybe I should. LOL

    I also find myself reading a lot of paranormal romances lately...maybe because they're so different than what I write?

    But since Nationals and all the free books, my to-be-read pile is enormous!

    I need a vacation so I can read about ten of them. LOL

    susan meier

  3. Jenna - it's a great cookbook. All the recipes use the big packs from Costco. So you buy one of those than can make X dishes from it. I cannot wait to try it. I think it will be perfect for deadline time and those busy nights there's not a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.

    Michelle - the class is so much fun. The kids, though young, are getting it since they can relate to the stories. I used a roller coaster to show the different plot points that I found through NaNoWriMo's young writers site. They put the perfect scene for the Climax of the 1st chapter of Winnie-the-Pooh--when he gets stung on the nose!

    Susan - I have a enormous TBR pile too. A lot of free books from Nationals in SF! I'm way behind on my reading. I'm not a big cookbook peruser, but when I read about this one, I had to order it right away. So glad I did.

  4. ooh, I think I may like this cookbook.

  5. You could eat for months on it, Dru! Do you have a microwave at work? It could work well for lunch!

  6. Wasn't Blake a great speaker? Seems like yesterday, but it's more than a year ago! I enjoyed his book too.


  7. Hi Claire! I loved that workshop! I also loved our walk to Borders though there was only the one copy left. I can't remember who bought it. Trish, maybe? It doesn't seem like it was that long ago at all. I've really enjoyed reading the book. I wonder if the one about romances that he talked about will ever get published now.