Thursday, August 06, 2009

Thursday Talk-time - Linda Style is a bookaholic!




Please welcome Linda Style to What are you Reading Thursday!


Seriously! I will stand up and confess. I’m addicted to books. I love to collect books, certain authors, certain genres, new books, old books, sets of books, first editions or even those that are tattered and torn and thrown in the trash. It doesn’t matter the size, condition or content. They’re books. They’re meant to be read and savored. The fact that I don’t have time to read them all is moot.

It’s a known fact in the writer’s community that the number of books an author reads goes down proportionately with the number of books written per year. But that’s not the reason I’m a slow reader. I’m a slow reader because I love words. I love wonderful stories, but I also love how the words and the sentences, paragraphs and scenes make it all come together.

When I read a book, I savor each and every rounded vowel and each and every flat or sharp consonant. I like how the sound of some words can actually mimic the meaning… and the way some sentences are strung together. I like silly words and soft words, harsh words and redundant and/or confusing words. I like metaphors and similes (in the right places and not cliché), and speaking of metaphors, I just finished reading a Tom Robbins book titled “Skinny Legs and All.”

Robbins is the king of metaphors and I won’t even tell you how long it took me to savor every word in this unique book. Robbins not only writes from the viewpoint of a can of beans, a stick and a conch shell, he layers themes and ideas like pasta and mozzarella, tomatoes and hot Italian sausage in a homemade lasagna. I savored, salivated, and even drooled a little at his bizarre artistry with words. Salivated is a good word, isn’t it… kinda sounds like what it means. “Otiose” --pronounced “oh-she-ose.” Isn’t that a great sounding word? It means “idle, ineffective, not needed, lethargic…” It’s from “Skinny Legs…” and doesn’t it sound like what it means? Oh..kay. Back to the book. I will admit, Robbins’ style of writing is not for everyone and it took me a while to get into the zone. But what fun would it be if all books were the same?



I also have a tendency to choose books for a particular period in my life. I have books from my cooking period, books on history, government, (the political period) biographies, thrillers, mysteries, self-improvement, public speaking, chic lit (dating period), and I can’t even count the number of romance novels (my favorite genre) on my bookshelves and in my TBR (to be read) stack. Not only do I write romance novels, I’m a hopeless romantic.




However, my love of words, or rather, my need to savor words I love, has affected my reading. Since my first book, way back in June of 2000, my TBR stack seems to have grown exponentially and now looks more like a mountain than a stack. My new book, THE PROMISE HE MADE, is out in mid August. It’s my 13th book and my TBR pile is at least triple that number. It’s sad, really. All those books with all those wonderful words, just sitting there, waiting to be savored. Sigh.

So many books, so little time. What does your TBR stack look like?

12 comments:

  1. We've moved a lot in the last ten years, six times to be exact! I used to have hundreds of books, if not a thousand, but I have pared it down to less than 100 books and frankly, I don't feel comfortable not being surrounded by my "friends." Now living in an apartment, I've learned to rotate books in and out, so that I can still read a hundred a year, but I share them with friends and family, or use paperbackswap.com, due to lack of space. I also have a Kindle, which I love -- my Kindle is just loaded with its own TBR pile! I buy Kindle books, as well as download free ones. My favorite fiction genres are contemporary romance, thrillers and romantic suspense, cozy mysteries, and the occasional historical or alternate history. Female cops or detectives rate high interest with me. I'm not much into urban fantasy - no vampires or werewolves need apply to my TBR. I like my heroines somewhat older than the virginal ingenue. Second-chance love appeals to me as a reader and so does reality. I enjoy theme anthologies, such as beach flings or Christmas stories. I also read literary fiction and literary magazines. At work, I get to read plenty of unpublished nonfiction, as I am an editor of scholarly works. I'll be reading books until my glasses can't get any more powerful. I love books and I want more of them! Recent reads were 4 books by Sandra Hill (her Cajun series) and 4 books by Emily Giffin. Enjoyed both authors as a new reader and will buy again. I look forward to reading more of Linda Style's wonderful romances!

    xoxo,
    Eve Paludan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Eve. Books are a passion for me, both reading and writing them. It seems we're a lot alike! :-)Thanks also for reading my stories. I hope you like the new one which should be out within a few days...or it may be on the shelves already.

    Happy reading, my friend.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a lot alike! I always enjoy your books, Linda. The Promise He Made is on order from Amazon.com - I hope it arrives soon!
    :-) EVe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Linda, I'm with you in having stacks of books. I have plastic boxes full of faves, stowed under the bed. And of course, many of those are written by my writing friends. (wink) I savor elegant metaphors and unique words, as well. I even have a computer file with quotes saved.
    My TBR pile has doubled with all the freebies from RWA. Hard to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan -- I can feel myself turning green with envy over all the books you brought home from the RWA conference. That's another thing I missed by not going this year. I love quotes, too, and also have a list. Sigh. Another addiction...or the same one? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI, recently came across a site which helps you organize your book collection. http://www.librarything.com/quickstart.php

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a slow reader too, Linda. When I read, I hear every word in my head, and that's a lot of the fun of it. Savouring the experience. And I always enjoy reading your books. I'm looking forward to the new release!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talk about timing! Just last night I realized my TBR stack was getting out of control, and loaded about 150 books into two stacks -- one for Desert Dreams conference giveaways, and the other for my sister (who's under orders NOT to give them back).

    So now the keeper stack (which of COURSE includes my Linda Style books!) is down to...well, er...maybe 50. Hey, that's progress, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda... Caught your post at EONS and hope to read your latest book. Tweet blurbs about writers I follow at Twitter... so where did AZ go? Anyway, my place looks like a mini-library with books reaching to my ceiling. Like you, doesn't matter that many haven't been read (LOL)! My last written book is a composition course I wrote for my Thesis-Project. Degree accomplished. Write book and movie reviews at Sharliebel/wordpress. Currently, reviewing my neighbor Valerie Temple's Mud Witch Boy of Ghost Canyon and Orphan Train Trilogy (last 2-books) Bridie's Daughter & Secrets by Robert Noonan (Eons). Read & write every day. My question: can one get over being embarrassed to describe, even, sweet love scenes? I jump through hoops! Oooh... also a romantic! So-like-your-writing-Style. Definitely, ordering your latest! ~Sharle (Eons) aka ~Sharlet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan, Ann, xquills, Laurie and Sharliebel. It looks like writers have similar addictions. I have another...shoes. But who wants to hear about shoes. :-) Thanks for reading my books. And thanks xquills for the site to help organize. I hope I'm not a hopeless case. :-)

    Sharlibel, thanks for stopping by. You sound like one busy lady!I think we all have to find our own comfort level when writing love scenes...as we do with most of what we write. Thanks also for the compliment about my writing style. That is so nice to hear. It really does help to be a hopeless romantic when you write romance, doesn't it. :-)

    My best to all of you, and thanks again for stopping by.

    Ciao for now.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love books too and my TBR pile is embarrassingly huge. And yet, I still find more books that I just have to have. Now that I'm writing seriously, I have even less time to read than I used to, which, really, is kind of annoying.
    I'm just sure I could get to them if had nothing else to do but read and write. All I need to do is quit my job, hire a housekeeper, and a cook and a nanny and a chauffer...

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, Donna. It is kind of annoying, and why don't we have a housekeeper, a cook and a chauffer thrown into our book contracts. Hmmm. I'm thinking a gourmet chef, instead of a cook, and maybe my very own masseuse. Yeah, that works, especially if he's cover model material. Grin.

    Thanks for stopping by.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete