Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Writer's Wednesday - Moving

Jenna Bayley-Burke was supposed to post about writing today, but since life has eaten her writing time the idea made her feel like a fraud. Instead, she's talking moving out and moving on...

I'm weird in that I like to move. I love empty rooms, full of promise. Fresh paint and clean carpet, new furniture and crisp drapes - bring it on!

Moving I could do without. My instinct is to toss everything and start fresh. Unfortunately, there isn't a sweepstakes truck out front...so most things stay with us, even if I think they're far past their use by date.

Moving sets us up for new possibility, but it does seem to suck the creativity clean out of a writer. Tawny Weber and I were chatting on Facebook about it last week, how pushing all your creative energy into making a house the best it can be so it sells quickly. I thought of a bunch of stories about people who are moving, which made me realize...

There aren't really many 'moving' stories. Perhaps Tawny & I will start a new trend with out experiences! (Comment if you know of a story with characters who are mid-move. I'll hunt it down.)

Besides moving my family out of this house and into a new one (fingers crossed the underwriter doesn't bounce our sales agreement again), we're struggling with my best friend's breast cancer diagnosis. I haven't been home much, as her mastectomy was last week, so writing is barely on the to-do list. Answering the kids questions about what is going on is conflict enough for me!

And to complete my list of excuses for not writing, my last attempt at a Modern Heat was a no-go. Considering everything else, it wasn't the tragic news it could be. I hadn't touched the story in three months while waiting to hear, so it barely registered as a loss.
It looks like I'll be moving on physically and professionally as I broaden my horizons and begin a new writing chapter in my very own office.


Jenna is not writing much of anything, and won't be for a few months. In the meantime, Compromising Positions is available with chocolate, Kama Sutra yoga, a decade old crush and a steady addiction to sugar. To find out what Jenna is up to now...check out her website or blog.

4 comments:

  1. Hugs to you and your friend, Jenna. Thats so hard.

    As for the moving... guess what? Our house sold (2 days)so all that creative energy worked!!! I had to share *g* Thanks for your ideas and support - it really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, Tawny and I are proof the real estate market isn't as scary as the news reports. Our house went quickly, and we've been outbid on 2 of the houses we went for.

    still haven't heard from the underwriter...or if we can extend our rent back...

    ReplyDelete