Friday, June 19, 2009

Wildcard Weekend: Those handymen in our lives


Missy Tippens celebrates Father's Day by honouring the handy and not so handy men in her life.
I’m so thrilled to be with the Pink Hearts today! And since Father’s Day is tomorrow, I had to talk about the men in our lives and in the books we write and read. The men who are our real life and fantasy heroes.

In my bio, I talk about my husband being my hero, even though he’s not very handy around the house. Which is always a big joke around here. My dad can do anything—build and repair furniture, electrical work, plumbing, auto work and on and on. But my poor husband. He is NOT gifted in any of these areas. He likes to say God blesses other people with talents so he can hire them to come use their gifts to do our repair and maintenance. :)

And my favorite part of his inability to do these things is when he tries and actually has a bit of success. He comes in flexing his muscles, singing “Handy Man” by James Taylor. (Hey, baby, I’m your handy maaaan.) It just cracks me up when he has a measure of success and acts so proud. You have to love a man who’s secure enough to make fun of himself. :)

In my June release for Steeple Hill Love Inspired, His Forever Love, my hero is a self-deprecating kind of guy. He’s this brilliant physicist, but he grew up feeling like (and treated like) a geek. And the poor guy comes home and finds he once again bumbles around whenever he gets near the heroine—who happens to be his big crush from childhood.

I guess I may have modeled this guy a little bit after my husband (and didn’t realize it until writing this blog!). No wonder I loved this hero so much and wanted him to find his happy ending. Ahhh…there’s nothing like a story where the resident nerd gets the popular girl and lives happily ever after.

I’ll be giving away a copy of His Forever Love today from among those who comment. So please leave your contact information! (Or you can email it to Missy Tippens and put Pink Hearts in the subject line.) Also, be sure to tell us about the special men in your life! I’ll be at a meeting and book signing today. And just got word that a critique partner made her first sale!! So we’re going out for dinner to celebrate. Woo hoo! But I look forward to checking in later to find out about your heroes. What makes a man a hero to you?

Missy Tippens’ hero hubby provided lots of childcare and moral support for the 10+ years she pursued her dream. She finally made her first sale of a full-length novel to Steeple Hill Love Inspired. Her debut novel, Her Unlikely Family, was a February 2008 release. Her next, His Forever Love, is on the shelves now! It will be followed by A Forever Christmas in November. You can learn more about Missy at her website.

33 comments:

  1. What a lovely post to read for Father's Day. My husband actually is very good at DIY and dealing with household problems, but it's the way he looks after our baby daughter that makes me melt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOps, forgot to leave my email - kitkatcub - the at sign - yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I no longer have a special man in my life but I would have assigned that spot to my father who I always thought could do everything. He was gone a lot because he was a geologist and spent a lot of time in an oil field but when he was home it was wonderful. And he spoiled me rotten as a child even though we were often at odds as I grew into a teenager. He's been gone 20 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I posted that before I was finished. A man is a hero to me if the cherishes the woman/women in his life and takes care of them. He doesn't have to do extraordinary things to be a hero.

    ellentoo20 @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. a man is a hero if he is gentle, kind and caring when it is called for; a hero if he puts others such as wife and kids up on the level he looks after himself;

    I've just come home yesterday from the hospital after surgery so unfortunately I can't do much for dh but we will have a quiet day together and I hear he bought a Saskatoon pie from the Hutterities so we will enjoy that with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missy, love your post! I have to admit - I married a guy who is really handy...and yet a bit of a geek too. Kind of handy in an engineering kind of way. LOL.

    But I do love a guy who can laugh at himself and at life, and my dh can sure do that. And sometimes he's grumpy, but he always makes it up to me. :-)

    Come to think of it, my dad was much the same way. He's been gone 20 years, but I'm blessed to have a new step dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm finally home and look so forward to the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alison, I totally agree! Watching a man be a good father definitely makes him hero material!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ellen, that's so well said. And it sounds like you had a wonderful dad. Very interesting that he was a geologist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robyn, I hope you're healing well from your surgery! It sounds like your hubby is taking good care of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Donna, you have the best of both worlds! And it sounds like he's a good man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Missy, my husband is the same way--not really handy, although he tries! My dad is a true handyman, though--he just redid my grandma's entire kitchen!
    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post was a crack up. But I too do have a real handy man in my life..he does it all. Of course the downside to that is these guys don't ever ask for help. Even on that rare occasion when they need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I just re-read my post and have to add, I was NOT the popular girl!!! That's my heroine. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Camy, I hope your hubby doesn't feel itimidated by your dad! I think mine has on occasion. :)

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tina, I totally understand.

    When we had my dad and my hubby's dad put the crib together for us, I had to threaten my dad to follow the directions and use all parts. He's the worst about doing his own thing, and then finding all kinds of extra parts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, Missy, at least your dear hubby ADMITS he's not handy around the house. My hubby, bless his heart, tries so hard and some things just don't turn out like he thought they would. I usually wait until he leaves town to call someone to fix whatever he "fixed." If you get my meaning!

    I can't wait to read the book, but you don't have to enter me into the contest, I'm going to go buy it!

    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL, Lynette!! You sneaky thing. :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Missy my husband is a rancher and he can do so many handy things. He's always disgusted with himself for what he can't do. but I tell him the only person better at being a auto mechanic than him...is an auto mechanic. The only person better at plumbing than him...is a plumber. Same for electric, carpentry, you name it my husband can do it. And if he can't, then we really do need a professional.

    And he's even a good judge of when we need to go for that.

    oH, AN DDON'T put my name in the drawing. I have my copy of His Forever Love and it's wonderful, Missy. I love your work...forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that song, Missy! Are we dating ourselves or what : )

    I married a man like my father...NOT! Gary can create and fix anything and refuses to pay for repairs he can make.

    Great honey. Soooo, would you please get to work then?

    Really though, my dad was a wonderful dad but an awful fixer. When I was 14 or 15, my mom found him trying to pound a nail in the wall to hang a photo with the heel of his shoe! She promptly drove to the hardware store and purchased a hammer, nails, hooks and most everything else to get odd jobs done. When she got home, my dad just looked at the items and scratched his head--the heel of his shoe had worked just fine for him. Why did mom waste the money?

    Great post, Missy! Don't put me in the drawing. I already have a couple copies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Missy

    Great post. I'm lucky that my hubby is handy. It does save us some cashola when he can fix stuff. I almost don't believe him when he says he doesn't know how!!

    I can picture your hubby walking around the house singing that song, too. That's very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, Missy! My hubby's pretty good. Although, he's man enough to admit when something is beyond his skills. Or just flat doesn't want to take the time or effort. LOL! He usually responds by saying, "No way. But I'll gladly pay someone else to do it!"

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've met several couples that upset the "common" belief of men's jobs and women's jobs. I love that they are perfectly happy with hubby cooking and the wife being Mrs. Fixit.

    Angie
    PS I have His Forever Love and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mary, you've gotta love those ranchers!

    Thanks for you nice comment on my book!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Audra, I'm sorry I dated us! Yep. That song was a hit when I was in about 9th grade! Ack. There, I gave away my age. :)

    I'm cracking up over your dad's "hammer"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lindi, thanks for stopping by! Yes, your hubby is definitely handy! Didn't you say he's building a fish pond now? And the guy loves to do that stuff, too. So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mindy, I have a friend who said her husband insists on trying to do everything himself. and they usually end up having to call someone else in to fix it when it ends up in worse shape! LOL

    So there's something to be said for those who know when to call someone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Angie, I have to say that sometimes I'm a better handy man than my husband. I guess I inherited it. :)

    Now if only my dh could learn to cook! :)

    Thanks about the book! I'm so glad you're liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. GRIN ... Missy, I LOVE the story of your hubby singing James Taylor's Handyman after he does something successfully ... that is SO cute, I think I would kiss him on the spot. Uh, unless he was sweaty like my sweetie was yesterday, putting in a cobblestone walk in 90-something-degree heat!! He comes in COMPLETELY SOAKED and says, "kiss me." Uh, no ... let's wait till after the shower ... because even I am not THAT romantic!!!

    Great article, sweetie.

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOL, Julie! My husband does the same thing after he goes running! And I think it's because he knows how hard I'll try not to come in contact with the sweat. :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved this glimpse into your life, Missy. That's so funny about your hubby.

    I'm a day late getting here but I wanted to say that Missy's book is SO good. If you don't win it, be sure to go out there and buy it. It'll be one of the best four bucks you'll ever spend.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  32. Robyn, I've drawn your name as the winner of a copy of His Forever Love. I'll email you for an address. Thanks to all who took part in the drawing!

    ReplyDelete