Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thursday Talktime: The thing about Princes

Dana Marton talks about appeal of princes, castles and daydreams.

When my editor first recommended that I write a new mini-series about princes, I wasn’t sure about the idea. I’ve never written a prince hero before. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. And soon Defending the Crown, my new mini-series, was born about six princes who are true heroes, trying to save their small European kingdom from being overtaken by a group of nefarious businessmen. I love the loyalty between these men, and the tremendous amount of brotherly love, the honor each holds in his heart.

And it seems like readers love them, too. The first book, SAVED BY THE MONARCH, has received tremendous feedback. I had so much fun writing and researching this book. I even visited a few European castles. (Well, it’s a tough job, but somebody’s got to do it. ;-)

The second book (out now from Harlequin Intrigue), ROYAL PROTOCOL, has an opera singer heroine. She’s a true diva. (The product of my American Idol fantasies.) I’d love to say that I took singing lessons or some such thing but, honestly, there’s not a voice teacher in the world who would take me on. That is definitely a talent I don’t have. But it was a lot of fun to pretend.

Prince Benedek had a crush on singing sensation, diva Rayne Williams forever. Now that she’s coming to his country to sing on the opening night of his opera house, nothing will stand in his way of getting closer to this beauty. Not the fact that she’s older, or that she can’t stand rich and powerful men who try to pick her up after performances, and not the rebels who attack during the night and force the two into the ancient tunnel system under the building.

Spending time with these two as they fight for their lives and fall in love in the process was a true joy. And so was the game of pretend. Do you ever do that? What do you daydream about? Being on American Idol? On So You Think You Can Dance? On Top Model?

If you could pick to have any talent, what would it be?

Award winning Intrigue author Dana Marton enjoys the challenges of combining royalty with the pulse racing suspense she is noted for.


  1. If I could pick any talent to have, it would to be a writer. I just don't have the imagination to create the worlds that authors do. Have a great day.

  2. I've always wanted to be able to sing, Dana. Sadly, even my mother found something to distract me when I started in on nursery rhymes.

    That's the big joy of being a writer, though. You can live vicariously through your heroines. I can be tall, thin, have 20:20 vision and do anything I ever wanted.

  3. First of all, your covers are so YUM. I can think of a few ways to break protocol....

    I have always wanted to be a Susan Boyle. I have sung in public before but not on a huge scale. I'm sure I'd be terrified to death and squeak, but the idea is still quite lovely.

  4. --HouseMouse, You won't know until you try :-) Maybe one of these days your imagination will run away with you.

    Hi Liz and Donna! I can so relate on the singing. Would love it, but no voice whatsoever. Dancing wouldn't be a bad talent either. I think I'm being influenced by all those reality shows!

    Take care,