Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Temptation Tuesday - My TBR


Donna Alward joins us today with an escape most of the PHS readers can identify with - the lure of the TBR pile.

This year I made a vow to read more. Not only because of the eharlequin challenge - although that's a good reason. Not only because my bookcase in my office has more TBR books than any other kind. But because I knew that in that pile of books there were gems of stories that were just waiting for me to discover them. There is nothing like disappearing into the world of a book. Heck, that's why I write them too. And that's why most writers admit they are readers first. We are just in love with good storytelling.

I'm not quite on target with my goal of 50 books by the end of June but I'm doing all right and I'm definitely going to surpass my 56 books of last year. Here are some of my favourites so far and some that I'm looking forward to delving into:




Surrender to the Playboy Sheikh - Kate Hardy. There's a reason why this is a top pick at Romantic Times. It's a fab book. Sexy, sultry, yummy, meltworthy.

To Marry The Duke - Julianne MacLean. The first in the American Heiress series, I'm reading the six books in a bit of a slapdash fashion, but they all stand alone. I adore Julianne's writing. ADORE IT.





Hitman - David Foster and Pablo Fjenves. David Foster's biography that is brutally honest but not a celeb tell-all. Really enjoyable.


North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell. I loved it as much as the movie. Well, almost. I have to say the mini series had splendid casting.



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Maryann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. The title alone had me hooked, and Liz Fielding's recommendation solidified my need for this book. It's a delightful story with a wonderful heroine and cast of characters.

Falling For Gracie - Susan Mallery. I read the first few pages online and laughed out loud. And believe it or not I'm new to Susan, so I'm really looking forward to reading it.




Suite Francaise. Yes, I'm superficial. The Guernsey book was the title. With this book it was the cover. SO evocative. And it spawned a whole series of similar looking covers on other books (the same effect is found on Pam Jenoff's The Kommandant's Girl). Like Guernsey as well, I'm a sucker for the WWII time period.



I'm looking forward to diving into more books on the deck this summer, hopefully sipping on a slushy negative calorie drink at the same time.

What books are you looking forward to?
Donna's current release is HIRED: THE ITALIAN'S BRIDE. She hopes it may make it on to some reader's TBR's this summer too!

2 comments:

  1. Donna

    I discovered Susan Mallery myself recently and I've now read just about all her backlist... Be warned, the woman is totally addictive. And Falling for Gracie is one of her best.

    As to KH and her Playboy Sheikh. Yum-yum is my only comment!! No need for low-cal drinks when reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Donna and Heidi - glad you both enjoyed my sheikh-with-a-difference :o)

    Will look out for Susan Mallery. Thanks also for the rec.

    ReplyDelete