Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wildcard Weekend - Cowboy Addiction

This weekend explore the wonder of the cowboy with Marin Thomas!

“Each year since 2005 the U.S. Senate has passed a resolution designating the fourth Saturday of July National Day of the American Cowboy.”

"Whereas pioneering men and women, recognized as cowboys, helped establish the American West...that cowboy spirit continues to infuse the nation with its solid character, sound family values, and good common sense; Whereas the cowboy embodies honesty, integrity, courage, compassion, respect, a strong work ethic, and patriotism."

Howdy Gals! There have been a ton of Blogs written about Cowboys--what woman doesn't love a Cowboy--the kind in romance novels, anyway. I confess I first fell in love with cowboys when I began reading my mother's historical romances during high school. Those shoot 'em up, rescuing-damsels-in-distress guys had me at "Yes, ma'am."

But before we explore the COWBOY I'd like to remind readers that I'll be giving away an autographed copy of my newest release to two lucky blog posters today.

How many different kinds of COWBOYS are there anyway?
First, we have the Old-Fashioned Cowboy--He's too clean-shaven--I'll pass.

Next, we have the Naked Cowboy (see left)--he's famous. You'll find him listed in wikipedia.

On to the Cowboy Scout, Jerry Potts--now there's man to set a woman's heart fluttering!

How about the famous Urban Cowboy--who doesn't love John Travolta!

Oops, here's a Dead Cowboy--Yeah, he's seen better days.

Yum…! Calendar Cowboy to the right!

Outlaw Cowboy…any takers for Billy the Kid?

And the Hollywood Cowboy--John Wayne, last of the good guys!

Thanks to this website we know who shouldn't be a Cowboy.

Here's a Dallas Cowboy.

A Cowboy Clown--what a sweet smile!

Lookin'-for-a-Date Cowboys

Rodeo Cowboy--these guys are widow-makers.

A Real Working Cowboy--not quite so romantic-eh?

Corporate Cowboy

Doctor Cowboy

And What woman can resist a Baby Buckaroo?

And ladies, we best not forget that all cowboys eventually end up looking like an: old Buckaroo

Now that we've had an eyeful of Cowboy Candy….let's discuss what women find so sexy about the Cowboy Way of Life.

It for sure ain't the food these guys eat.

Sonofabitch Stew
2 pounds lean beef
Half a calf heart
1/2 pounds calf liver
1 set sweetbreads
1 set brains
1 set marrow gut
Salt, pepper
Louisiana hot sauce

Kill off a young steer. Cut up beef, liver and heart into I -inch cubes; slice the marrow gut into small rings. Place in a Dutch oven or deep casserole. Cover meat with water and simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Take sweetbreads and brains and cut in small pieces. Add to stew. Simmer another hour, never boiling.

Vinegar Pie
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup cold water
4 eggs, beaten
5 tablespoons vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
Combine sugar and flour. Add the rest of the ingredients and place in a saucepan. Cook until thick and pour into a prepared pie crust. Bake in a 375-degree oven until the crust is brown

So, we've established that Cowboy Food isn’t romantic. Let's talk about COWBOY INCOME--how much do these rope-throwin' chaps make? The average Old West cowboy drew $25 to $40 a month--I can't get my nails done for that little money. Today, a typical salary for a cowboy in New Mexico is about $1,400 a month. Cowboys may also get free housing, paid utilities, insurance coverage and perhaps some beef--thanks, but I'd rather have diamonds.

So we don't chase after Cowboys for their cooking or money or gifts of beef. We do however love these guys because they practice COWBOY CODES OF THE WEST (authorship unknown)

Don't wave at a man on a horse. It might spook the horse and the man will think you're an idiot.

After you pass someone on the trail, don't look back at him. It implies you don't trust him.

Riding another man's horse without his permission is nearly as bad as making love to his wife.

Never shoot an unarmed man. Never shoot a woman at all.

A cowboy is pleasant even when out of sorts. Complaining is what quitters do, and cowboys hate quitters.

Always be courageous. Cowards aren't tolerated in any outfit worth its salt.

A cowboy always helps someone in need, even a stranger or an enemy.

Real cowboys are modest. A braggert who is "all gurgle and no guts" is not tolerated.

A cowboy doesn't talk much; he saves his breath for breathing.

Cuss all you want, but only around men, horses and cows.

What about Cowboy Codes of Wooing?

Here's some Cowboy relationship advice found in Just one Fool Thing After Another: A Cowfolks' Guide to Romance by Gladiola Montana & Tex Bix Bender

Just because you learned a lot from you last lover's leap don't mean you ain't jumpin' off a different cliff this time.

When a man asks a woman to share his lot, she has a right to know how big it is.

You gotta wear the boot to know where it pinches.

When you don't have a thing to worry about, you go and get married, and suddenly the world is a worrisome place.

For better or for worse means for good.

A man in love is incomplete until he marries--then he's finished.

No matter how much he loves you sometimes he'd just rather have an inch of rain than anything else in the world.

Most marital graves are dug with a lot of little digs.

When a woman makes up her mind you can always be sure she's gonna do exactly what she says--or not.

Have I made my made my case that Cowboys are addicting--not because of their looks, their cooking, their income, their sage advice or wooing practices but because…well, just because? Long Live the Cowboy!

Marin's current release for Harlequin American Romance just happens to be the COWBOY for the *Men Made in America* inline series. A Cowboy's Promise is in stores now! This book is the second in the Cartwright Brothers series. The first book The Cowboy and the Angel (Nov 08) received a TOP PICK from RT Magazine.

For more information on Marin and her books please visit


  1. Hello Marin,

    Just wanted to give a shout out to all who read this blog. If you are into cowboys, you need to pick up "A Cowboy's Promise". It will put a smile on your face. It did mine. Have a great day.

  2. Cowboys are addicting just because they are cowboys. And they usually have a code of honor they follow. And just thought I'd say that I love your books.

  3. Let's hear it for cowboys! Thanks for the reminder, Marin, of all that's wonderful about them. Ellen's right -- there's a real code of honor among them. They don't last long without it.

  4. Marin, this was a fun blog to read. I LOVED your Cowboy Codes! I also love a good cowboy story whether it is a modern-day or Old American West cowboy.

  5. Have a good weekend.A Cowboy's Promise sound wonderful.All your books are great.

  6. I enjoyed all of the cowboy info. I especially loved the Cowboy's Guide to Romance. A few of them really hit home!

    My favorite movie cowboy Sam Elliott

    Congrats on your book release!! I'd love to read it!

  7. Hi Everyone!

    Thanks for stopping by Pink Heart today and for all your kind words about my books. I was introduced to cowboys when I sneaked a peek at my mother's western romance novels that she read years ago. I was hooked from then on.

    And if you ask me...I think most men secretly wish they could ride a horse, rope a steer or bust a bronc...but they'll never admit it!


  8. Hi Marin - great blog! Love cowboys - and so does DH - he has every John Wayne movie and our favourite JW western's are - The Shootist, The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance, The Undefeated, The Alimo. Phew I could go on of course - but I would run out of blog space!

    We don't have a lot of cowboys here in the UK (!) and unfortuately the term "cowboys" is a rather derogatory term for dodgy workmen! Not very complimentary for "honest to good" real life cowboys like you have in the US! Take care - Caroline xx

  9. Hi Marin,

    I will be the first one to say, I love me some cowboys. There is something to say about there manners and everything. Cowboy always seem to have better manner then alot of men. We don't really have true cowboy where I live but I love to read about them.

  10. Hi Caroline & Virginia

    there is something neat about a cowboy's way with women--they're always polite and I like the way they treat all women the same--whether they're beautiful or not, rich or not--doesn't matter.


  11. Congratulations to Cheri2628 and Virginia!

    You two have won an autographed copy of A Cowboy's Promise! Please contact me with your name and snail mail address at


  12. Hey, Marin! Chiming in a bit late to agree that cowboys are definitely some of the nicest guys around. :) Picked up A Cowboy's Promise yesterday and am eager to lose myself in another fantastic MT story! :)

    Mary JF.

  13. Thanks, Marin!!! :-)
    I sent you my info.

  14. Thanks, Marin!!!! I also sent in my info!