Thursday, April 09, 2009

What Are You Reading? - Are You Up To The Challenge?




This Thursday Donna Alward reveals her competitive streak with a post about Reading Challenges!


A couple of years ago, eharlequin announced their first book challenge. It was such a success, they've taken it to a whole other level, and boy did my competitive streak come out - even if it's against myself.

Last year the Challenge went to 100,000 books - and the community didn't make it. Let's face it, 100,000 is a LOT. But the good news is over 30,000 books were read and an equivalent amount donated to charity. This year they've simply continued on with the challenge, working towards that 100k number. Here's how it works:


Once again, eHarlequin.com challenges you to new reading heights. IF we can read 100,000 books in total, we can beat our all time record and review a mind-boggling, and unprecedented 100,000 books in 2008 and 2009 combined!

And just like last year, for every book we read, we'll be donating a book to the National Center for Family Literacy to benefit their literacy programs.

To Join in the Challenge, all you have to do is click on this link to go to the main page.


Not to be left out - this week Mills and Boon started their own community! It's very exciting, and they too have started a book challenge on a smaller scale which hopefully will be a grand success and grow as the community there grows as well. Here's some info about that challenge:


Here at millsandboon.co.uk we've joined forces with The Reading Agency in our Book Challenge. We've set community users the challenge of reviewing 5000 books here in the Community. They can be as long or as short as you like but whatever number we achieve up to our target of 5000 we'll donate the same number of books to The Reading Agency at the end of 2009 to benefit the many, many literacy programs they undertake.

The Reading Agency is an independent charity which inspires more people to read more. The more you read, the better you understand other people, and the better you connect to them. You can read more about their excellent work here. http://www.readingagency.org.uk/

To join in the Mills and Boon 5000 Book Challenge, just click on this link to go to their page.


Last year in the eharlequin challenge, I read 56 books. I am aiming for 100 this year, unsure if I'll make it but I'm already on my 23rd book of the year. Some of the books on my list are 4-500 pgs plus, so they take a bit longer to get through than the category romances on my shelf. But I'm determined to beat my old number and read more and more! I do have quite a competitive streak, even if it is just the sense of accomplishment I feel after besting myself. :-)


There are numerous other challenges out there as well - one I'm unofficially participating in is the 1% Well Read challenge, in which I'll read 10 books from a list of 1000 recommended "must reads".

I'm really looking forward to delving into some Poe and Hemingway especially!






So how about you? Do you participate in any challenges? Why don't I help you with your reading material?

I have an advance copy of my June release, HIRED: THE ITALIAN'S BRIDE as a prize for a random commenter today! Just let me know what you're reading right now!

15 comments:

  1. I just started reading Michelle Monkou's 'Only in Paradise'. Seems promising to be a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading "Must Love Mistletoe" by Christie Ridgway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished "No Peeking" by Stephanie Bond today. Plus, I've just started on "Cupid's Arrow" by Debbie Wallace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now I'm reading Love With the Perfect Scoundrel by Sophia Nash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read 25 on the eHQ challenge...usually I am addicted to reading challeneges, To Be Read, 100 Shots of Short, Harlequin/Silhouette Romance Reading Challenge, Romance Reading Challenge...but the reading isn't getting done this year. Neither is touch up painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading Flat-Out Sexy by Erin McCarthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading The Seduction of an Unknown Woman by Samantha James. Fiona is a bookstore owner who writes horrow stories under a pen name. The hero is a retired military hero.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm actually reading New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. Getting the Twilight series was my reward for meeting my last deadline. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am reading Twilight Fall by Lynn Viehl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am participating in the eHarlequin book challenge--last year I read 2001 books, so far I have read 74 this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oops forgot to say I am reading Elizabeth Sinclair's "Burning Secrets".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane - you're the winner! If you can drop me your snail mail addy to donna@donnaalward.com that'd be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete