Monday, April 06, 2009

Male on Monday - Robert Pattinson



Today Donna Alward joins the leagues of fans around the world who are crazy about Twilight's Edward....actor Robert Pattinson!

I'll admit, it might seem a little odd for me to be doing a MoM for a man 14 years younger than myself. My defense is that I'm certainly not dead and I do have eyes. I also enjoy reading my daughter's YA stuff and held my breath through most of watching Twilight. So it follows that I'm perfectly entitled to have an appreciation for the guy behind Edward's topaz eyes...Robert Pattinson.


Pattinson was born in London on May 13, 1986 (which does indeed make him a little young for moi). He began his modeling career when he was twelve years old, but it wound down only four years later. Pattinson explained in December of 2008, "When I first started I was quite tall and looked like a girl, so I got lots of jobs, because it was during that period where the androgynous look was cool. Then, I guess, I became too much of a guy, so I never got any more jobs. I had the most unsuccessful modeling career." Pattinson appeared in the advertising campaign for Hackett's Autumn 2007 collection.


He had supporting roles in the made for television film Ring of the Nibelungs in 2004 and in director Mira Nair's Vanity Fair, although his scenes in the latter were deleted, and only appear on the DVD version. In May 2005 he was slated to appear in the UK premiere of The Woman Before at the Royal Court Theatre, but was fired shortly before the opening night and was replaced by Tom Riley.


The world finally clued into who Rob was later that year when he played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Consequently, he was named that year's British Star of Tomorrow by Times Online. He also has more than once been touted as the next Jude Law. (I couldn't believe it when I saw this pic and realized how very young he looks here. The Goblet of Fire was not my favourite HP movie, but I do remember Cedric seeming older and more confident than Harry and very attractive to Cho.)

But he truly exploded on to the scene this past year. Pattinson plays Edward Cullen in the movie Twilight, based on Stephenie Meyer's bestselling novel of the same name, which was released on November 21, 2008 in North America. According to TV Guide, Pattinson was initially apprehensive about auditioning for the role of Edward Cullen, fearful that he wouldn't be able to live up to the "perfection" expected from the character. He is reprising his role as Edward Cullen in the Twilight sequel, New Moon.

I picked a picture of him with Bella because the true magic of Pattinson is the intensity he brings to the screen. I think I had a permanent cramp in my chest through the whole movie. He and Kristen Stewart did sexual tension very well.



In case you're worried about him being typecast as a teenage hearthrob (not that there's anything wrong with that, to quote Jerry Seinfeld), pay attention: He has the lead role in Little Ashes, in which he plays Salvador Dali.



Pattinson plays guitar and piano, and composes his own music. I didn't know this until I'd watched Twilight; in the scene where he plays piano for Bella I could tell he was actually playing it. He also appears as the singer of two songs on the Twilight soundtrack: "Never Think", which he co-wrote with Sam Bradley, and "Let Me Sign", which was written by Marcus Foster and Bobby Long. The songs were included in the film after director Catherine Hardwicke added Pattinson's recordings into an early cut without his knowledge, and he agreed that "one of them specifically, it really made the scene better. It was like it was supposed to be there." US Magazine reported that Pattinson has recorded 3 songs for the upcoming film "How to Be."

Aside from recording for the soundtrack, Pattinson has said, "I've never really recorded anything - I just played in pubs and stuff", and when asked about a professional music career, he said, "Music is my back-up plan if acting fails."

He's also been touted as the new "Di Caprio" which is all right with me. I never quite fell for Jack in Titanic (not like I have for Edward, anyway) but Leonardo definitely grew up well (yum). Regardless, I think there will be great things in store for Robert Pattinson.



Donna's next book is Hired: The Italian's Bride, coming this June . Currently she's on chapter sixteen of Twilight and looking forward to reading the other three in the series.


6 comments:

  1. YOu made my daughter very happy by dsoing a MOM on Robert Pattinson. She (being 15) thinks he's goregous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna. Ohhh no. Your Male on Monday is too too too young for me (my step son was born in 1985)- it doesn't seem right somehow to fancy someone that young. But it's interesting how mentally we (me!) predict what out hero is going to look like. Even though I write about hero's and heroine's in thier twenties I still I have to have a mental picture / hard copy of a hero slightly older that those that I write about. Think James Purefoy / Damien Lewis - they always do it for me. Interesting pyschology though...Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  3. James Purefoy...Damian Lewis...nothing wrong there, Caroline. I've been a fan of Damian's especially ever since Band of Brothers.

    And I cast as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, tell K she's very welcome. :-) I actually liked the movie A LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he's more of a Johnny Depp, quite eclectic, different. He is really pretty. ;) Love his songs too, he has potential for so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen Twilight...but I wanted to say that Donna is a gem :)

    ReplyDelete