Monday, April 13, 2009

Male on Monday :: Jeff Bridges

With one of her first books being re-released next month in the UK Ally Blake thought it fitting to highlight the guy who was her hero inspiration at the time.

Jeff Bridges is old school cool. He looks great holding a cigarette. He’s kept his sexy signature overlong hair swept back off a forehead that creases on purpose. He has the cheekiest of smiles. And he looks fine in a suit.

But for me, with Jeff, so much of his appeal is about the voice. When romance novels describe a man with a voice like melted chocolate, they are describing him. It’s all smooth low tones, and lazy sex appeal. That alone should be enough to make him a sure thing in the Pink Heart Hall of Fame.

ABOUT JEFF:

Jeff was born on December 4, 1949 in Los Angeles, California he comes from a show biz family with his dad Lloyd, mum Dorothy and older brother Beau all actors. I have to say he won the lottery In that gene pool. He scored a few early roles theough his family connections, then served time in the Coast Guard –ah a man in uniform! – before studying acting at the Herbert Berghof school.

It wasn’t long before he became a movie star and a sex symbol. Think STARMAN – the first picture to earn him an Oscar nomination, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW – the film that set him up for the kinds of roles he has continued to play so well, as IMDB call his style “rambling, reckless, rascally”, and especially AGAINST ALL ODDS - seriously, how’s that for a movie poster! See, they really don’t make ‘em like they used to.

This is a working actor. He’s been in something like 75 movies. And he came really close to some of the most famous roles of all time: Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver, 'John Rambo' in First Blood, and Don Jonson’s part in Miami Vice but was deemed too expensive – thank goodness! Was on the short list for the Michael Douglas role in Fatal Attraction and Christopher Walken's role in The Deer Hunter. All of which made those actors.

He’s multi-talented too. Go to Internet Movie Database and you’ll see him credited as an illustrator, a still photographer and as a composer. A man with artistic flair. A man with a true artist’s soul. Sigh… Check out his website. It’s literally hand written by him and is jam-packed with his amazing and diverse scribbles.

WHERE TO FIND HIM:

Somehow he’s never been considered an A-list despite the Oscar nominations and great roles. I read somewhere once that it’s his natural ease and charm that made him slide under the wire when compared with his contemporaries, and I reckon that could be it. He has none of that quiet desperation, and raging ambition that seems to spark off some of the top actors. No flash, no ego, he’s just all ease, and charm, and yummy appeal that rolls off him in waves.

My particular faves have been THE FISHER KING (magical, wondrous, glorious film) and THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS. It’s one of my favourite movies ever. He works nights, in a tux, playing the piano in smoky dives. Ah, yum right? Those long clever fingers, that concentration as he’s bent over the keys, that scene where Michelle Pfeiffer oozes over the piano top singing “Makin’ Whoopee” (a song that has a special place in my heart since Frank Sinatra (or a very good likeness ;))) serenaded my husband and I on our wedding night).

This here exchange I reckon sums our guy up to a T. Michelle Pfieffer's character Susie is talking to him about his piano playing:

Susie: You're good, aren't you?

Jack: I can carry a tune.

Susie: You're better than that.

He’s been married to the same woman since 1977, and together they have three daughters. Sexy, talented, artistic, successful, a family man…

And even if there wasn’t all that, there’s still that voice.


Available online now and in stores come mid-May in the UK is Ally’s first ever BY REQUEST reprint.

HOW TO MARRY A BILLIONAIRE is one of her best-selling books to date and has been reissued in a triple pack called BARGAINING WITH THE BILLIONAIRE.

You can read more about the book at Ally’s website, or simply order it now online!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm...on your personal blog you mentioned "piano" and "famous family". I expected Rufus Wainwright, but apparently I'm way off the mark ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a wonderful way to start Easter Monday.

    I absolutely adore Jeff Bridges, he makes great movies, is a superb actor and as you say, that voice just gives me goosebumps!

    My two fav films are Cutter's Way and The Big Lebowski (just love Dude!), but I can watch The Fabulous Baker Boys again and again too. He also makes crap films better, though, and he's aged so beautifully.

    Love this actor. Great pick Ally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally, a man of substance.
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the eye candy posted here every Monday just as much as everyone else. But Jeff is in a league of his own, starting with 'that' voice. I can think of nobody who can rival the way that man speaks, I get shivers when I hear him. He has such presence, oozes charisma, charm and sex appeal from every available pore!! Can you tell how much I love Jeff yet? He's never let me down on screen, not once. But Jagged Edge is perhaps my favourite. He can be the bad boy and yet I still fancy the pants off him knowing how twisted this character is. That's acting at its best. I'm off to watch 'that' scene from the FBB now...did someone turn on the heat in here??

    Aideen.

    ReplyDelete