Saturday, March 14, 2009

Wild Card Weekend -- King Tut

Desire author Katherine Garbera is stopping by The Pink Heart Society today to talk about her latest weekend excursion -- The King Tut exhibit!


I have to admit I have a fascination with Egypt not the modern bustling Egypt but the exotic Egypt of myths and legends. So when I heard that the King Tut exhibit was coming to Dallas I let out a primal scream of excitement, grabbed my Visa card and ordered tickets.

Today as you are reading this blog and enjoying it I am at the King Tut exhibit getting a glimpse into the world of Pharaohs--a world that to me has previously only been available in books and through movies.

"Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs" explores the figures who guided ancient Egypt more than 3,000 years ago. The exhibition focuses on the 18th Dynasty, a 100-year period when Egypt was at the height of its power and the "golden age" of Egyptian artistry. This was the era when Tutankhamun and his ancestors reigned. The extensive array of more than 130 extraordinary artifacts from the tomb of Tutankhamun and other ancient Egyptian sites features 50 of Tutankhamun's burial objects, including his royal diadem and one of the four gold and precious stone inlaid canopic coffinettes that contained his mummified internal organs.
I can't wait!!!

I have to admit I wouldn't be disappointed to see Brendan Fraser at the exhibit perhaps battle the spirit of a long dead Egyptian baddie!

I doubt that will happen but I think that I will have a fun time exploring the past.

I ask this because a few summers ago I visited Stonehenge and while it was cool to see in person I was disappointed by how touristy the entire thing was. Not at all what I expected!!

Happy reading!


For more on Katherine and her latest Desire release, The Moretti Heir, check out her website.

3 comments:

  1. Katherine;

    I hope you do enjoy the exibition. The close I have had the opportunity is to see the Egyptian exhibits at the British Museum. One time we took the children. My youngest, then about 7 years old was very excited to see a mummy, but all the crowds and the sheer volume of the exhibit overwhelmed him. We have a trip planned later this spring to Great Britian and ds gets to come along. I suspect we will try again because the British Museum is a favorite stop for me every time I go to London. I hope you ebjoy King Tut and his riches. I am envious.

    Brendan would of course be a very welcome addition!! You are right.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, I saw this 30 years ago in Cairo. It's amazing and I know you're going to have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed it, Katherine - I saw it about a year ago in London and enjoyed it thoroughly. Didn't get to see the most famous image (so it was a bit of a swizz that it was on all the publicity!) and it was horribly crowded, but the exhibits themselves were fantastic. (I saw it when I was much younger - about the age my littlest was when we went last year - and I can still remember it.)

    And yes to the sexy archaeologist *g*

    ReplyDelete