Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Travel Tuesday - Disneyworld

This Tuesday, Donna brings us that childhood fantasy that she didn't get to enjoy until she had children of her own - Disneyworld!
My mum and dad always said they wanted to take us to Disneyworld, and you know, unlike most kids, I thought it would be nice but I never went gaga over it. Maybe that's why we never made it. But when my husband and I had the opportunity to go with our kids, I jumped at it. And boy did we have a fabulous time!
It wasn't all about theme parks and inflated prices for a hot dog, although there was some of that. There were also the "down" days, where we hung out at the resort, played ping pong, frolicked in the pool, tried a very unprofessional game of beach volleyball...and put the kids to bed while we enjoyed a glass of wine on the patio.

We didn't hit every theme park around; we knew the kids AND the pocketbook simply wouldn't take it. So we did the biggie - Magic Kingdom, and then we went to Seaworld, and we went to Typhoon Lagoon. There was of course shopping at Downtown Disney one afternoon as well.

Magic Kingdom was indeed Magical. Bear in mind this was the first trip I had where I actually used my passport and had to go through customs. We arrived shortly before the parade down Main Street USA, and seeing my kids next to their cousins watching the parade brought tears to my eyes. I naturally get squishy over anything to do with my kids, and considering they were 8 and 6 at the time, their eyes were REALLY big.

We went on Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain, Dumbo for the little ones and Splash Mountain. I avoided the Small World ride but the husband did not, and even now if he hears the tune he cringes in horror. LOL We ate hotdogs and fries and browsed and got autographs from characters and at the end of the night we hit the fireworks show.

My sister in law told me I'd cry, and I said she was crazy. But you know, that was the year I'd sold my first book to Harlequin and the fireworks to my surprise were narrated and coordinated to music and it was all about dreams. Well, by the end of it she looked over and we both were sniffling. You can hear us laughing about it on the video.

We also went to Typhoon Lagoon, which has a huge wave pool that was worth the price of admission all on its own, but the real fun was the Crush 'n' Gusher. We went on at least 9 or 10 times. Line ups were not bad, we were there in November before Thanksgiving. We ate mini donuts and everyone was exhausted but oh-so happy that night.

But my favourite part was SeaWorld.

I did not expect to get emotional there either, but it is definitely targeted at environmental awareness, and I was truly touched. Of course, this happens on the back of the "dreams" fireworks and the theme at SeaWorld was "Believe". The first thing we did was go to the Shamu show, which is stunning and just lovely and fun. We saw sharks, touched and fed stingrays, touched and fed the dolphins, had a lovely lunch, and went to the dolphin show. It was just gorgeous. Of all the tourist attractions I've been to, and this might have been because of the lack of crowds, but it didn't actually feel like a tourist trap.

The good news? We get to go back, this fall. We're not staying in Orlando but at Daytona Beach, and we're planning on hitting Tampa this time as well. I've always wanted to go to Busch Gardens, and we're also hoping to meet up with friends for a barbeque or something - the family of the marshal that helped me with the research for Falling For Mr. Dark and Dangerous.

I can't wait!

Donna's working feverishly on revisions plus a deadline, but this month The Rancher's Runaway Princess is out in Australia and New Zealand!


  1. My sister spent her honeymoon at Disney world. She and her husband had a great time. Apparently quite a few people honeymoon there.

  2. I had a wonderful time. Just getting away, being in the sun during a month that is normally dreary, and spending a day by the pool was such a treat.

  3. Sounds like a wonderful time you had! I went to Disneyland as a 6 year old, and considering we travelled all the way from little old New Zealand, it was pretty special :) I still remember snippets and a few rides even though I was so young, and I would love to go back one day - with kids tagging along of course!


  4. We went to the original Disneyland in California (the only one there was back then) the summer I graduated from high school and we also saw San
    Diego Zoo and Knott's Berry Farm. It was absolutely fascinating even if I had just graduated. From there we drove up the California coast to San Francisco. That was the last trip my family was able to take all together.