Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Temptation Tuesday - Hero Careers with Jen Lewis


We're happy to have with us Jennifer Lewis, with an angle on why those heroes are so darn irresistible!


Go on, admit it: There are some heroic occupations that light your personal rocket boosters. You only have to look at the covers of romance novels to see that there are certain recurring themes—cowboy, doctor, sheriff, duke…. Clearly these sell like hotcakes and have continued to do so for many years, which is why they’re still lining the shelves.

Why do some careers (or callings, since you can’t really choose to be a duke…) have such timeless appeal? Cowboys wear that irresistible air of independence that probably comes from having all that open range to gallop over. Doctors save lives. Sheriffs fight bad guys and wear cool hats. Dukes, well, they’re rich and have big fancy houses and have you noticed the way their shirts are often falling off them?

I write Silhouette Desires, and for my current book I had to change the title to Millionaire’s Secret Seduction from Tycoon’s Secret Seduction because there were already too many tycoons coming out this month. Clearly I’m not the only author who likes to manhandle a tycoon. I love a self-made man who knows how to run an empire and still drive a woman wild in bed ::wicked grin::

The tycoon in question is proprietor of a chain of specialty food stores called Trader Dan’s. Sounds somewhat familiar, you say? Yes, my current hero is inspired by the genius who founded Trader Joe’s. I admit I’m not sure there’s an individual behind Trader Joe’s, but if there is he’s a true hero to me. I cannot even imagine what I ate before that store opened near me. I certainly wasn’t enjoying delicious pesto sauce for $2 a jar or drinking shade-grown coffee while munching on ginger flavored Jo-Jo’s, that’s for sure. I ::heart:: Trader Joe’s and whoever came up with the idea and continues to produce such delicious and dirt-cheap delicacies is my kind of guy.

This book is the first in the three part series, and the hero of the second book owns a vineyard in Argentina’s wine country. I notice that vineyard owners (sounds sexier than vintners, don’t you think?) are a popular perennial in romance. For me there’s just something delicious about the mixture of lush grapes, hard muscle, sun-baked earth and, well, wine. The third hero is a restaurateur. Since I hate to cook I love the idea of a man who provides endless opportunities for eating out, or who can at least bring his own chef.



What’s your favorite type of hero? Is there a career or job or calling that you haven’t seen yet in a romance but that you’d like to? Go, on, fess up! One person who leaves a comment will win a signed copy of Millionaire’s Secret Seduction.

Jen

20 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,
    Congrats on your upcoming release. I love alpha heroes who also have a sensitive side and have a sense of humor. I can't think of a career that hasn't been seen in a romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on book and great review. love sports hero

    kh

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite type of hero is dark and brooding.
    Congrats on your new release!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Your Duke with his shirt falling off had me in fits!

    It's sheikhs all the way for me. A proud ruler commanding the harsh desert landscape, caring for his people, old-fashioned values, glorious bedouin tents and enormous palaces. Can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane! Hmm, that really makes me wonder if there is a career that hasn't been done in a romance novel. I've never read one with a male ballet dancer, but I bet there's been one--maybe in the 1980's :-)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi kh! Sports heroes never seem to go out of style. Susan Elizabeth Phillips has done some of my favorites.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marie! I love 'em dark and brooding too ::sigh::

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sabrina, I swear, it's true about those Dukes! You just have to google it on Amazon. Those guys just can't keep their shirts on :shakes head:

    I love a sheikh, too. In fact I'm writing one right now...

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Jen! You gotta love a man who is packing--a gun.

    The Duke with his shirt falling off had me spitting coffee all over my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me, the career that can make me melt is...

    A professor.

    In the story I'm currently shopping around, the hero is a professor of Italian and Foreign Literature at the University of Bologna, Italy. And he wears glasses to read.

    That makes me squee in real life (and folks always think my hubby is a professor, too, but he's not. He's an accountant. He makes me squee, though!)

    In another WIP, the hero is in upper management at a bank. He dresses well and travels a lot. What's not to like?

    I also have a hero who is a geological engineer (he designs roads) but wants to breed Maltese dogs.

    Another is a classic, though - he's a lifeguard (with a sexual identity crisis).

    I dare say, I have a bit of variety, eh? But the professor has my heart, no doubt about it. ;)

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to agree with Jane and Marie about the dark broody heroes. I love it when the chars are archaeologists or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite hero is one who cooks, knows what to do with a tool belt and looks good in a Tuxedo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a fondness for cowboys. I like heroes who are a little bit gruff and brooding but who are really nice deep down. Like you, I also really like a self-made man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jerri! A man packing a gun, huh.... I wonder what Freud would say about that symbolism? :evil grin:

    Sorry about the keyboard, but the truth must be told!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ms Menozzi, your heroes all sound yummy! I love variety myself and it's always fun to be surprised by something different.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mel, I'm with you on archaeologists. Especially when they look like a young Harrison Ford.....

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anne, I totally agree! I always hoped I'd marry a chef. DH does the toolbelt + tuxedo combo nicely, but doesn't cook at all :sigh:

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Raven, there is just something about those brooding loner types--who need the love of a good woman :grin: I think the appeal of a self-made man is that they can probably accomplish anything they set out to do--that's very sexy to me.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. yea she has and jami alden has soem erotic ones i love whoo

    kh

    ReplyDelete
  20. The winner of today's random drawing is Sabrina Phillips!

    Sabrina, please email me
    (jen @ jenlewis dot com)
    and let me know where to send it.

    Thanks for commenting, everyone!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete