Saturday, January 10, 2009

Wild Card Weekend with Margaret Daley

This weekend, Love Inspired Suspense author Margaret Daley's visiting The Pink Heart Society to talk about something we all mean to do...

My New Year Resolution

I don’t know about you but 2008 flew by. They say time goes faster the older you get and I think they are right unless you are in a miserable long term sub job you should never have taken in the first place (because when you retired from teaching, that meant leaving the classroom for good and writing full-time—What was I thinking?!). I found myself counting the minutes until the end of school and could leave. Time in that case CRAWLED by. Anyway, I digress. That was 2008.

I’m all into 2009. After all, it’s been a whole couple of weeks with only 50 more to go. I sat down on New Year and thought about what I wanted to accomplish in 2009. Get a movie offer for one of my books? Write the next bestseller? Lose 10 pounds (actually I’d love to lose more but ten seems reasonable)? Exercise three or even four times a week?

Yeah. They all seemed great and something I should do. Then I started thinking—a dangerous thing for me. Do I control getting a movie offer for one of my books? No. If I did, I’d have done that long ago (with visions of accepting the Oscar for the best screenplay adapted from a book—my book). So I marked that off my list. Okay, I control what I write so why can’t I write the next bestseller? Move over J.K. Rowlings. Hold it! Do I really totally control writing a bestseller? No, if I did, I would have 60 bestsellers right now.

Okay, let’s get to something I can control. I can lose ten measly pounds. That’s can’t be too hard. NOT! I have been trying off and on for several years, and the only time I lost weight was when I was so stressed I couldn’t eat. You see, I love food and the word diet is a four-letter word to me. I have come to the conclusion if I can maintain my present weight and not gain any, then I’m doing okay. I have discovered the older you get the slower the metabolism is. Have you noticed that your metabolism slows down but time flies?

Then, how about exercising? I can do that. And yes, I can when I get myself psyched up enough to do it. But there is one tiny little problem—I HATE TO EXERCISE. Work outs—two four-letter words. I know I’ve got to change my attitude, but why write down a resolution if I know from the get go that I’m not going to keep it?

By now I’m staring at a blank piece of paper. I haven’t written down one resolution. What to do?

A light bulb goes off in my brain (all that thinking I’ve been doing has generated enough energy to fuel a light bulb). I won’t make a list of New Year resolutions. So I’ve resolved not to have resolutions for 2009. I have a feeling I’ll be much happier that way. Remember the possibilities for 2009 are endless.

How about you? Do you have a list? Have you already given up? Or are you working diligently on each one? If so, what’s your secret?

Margaret Daley is an award winning, multi-published author in the romance genre. One of her romantic suspense books, Hearts on the Line, won the American Christian Fiction Writers’ Book of the Year Contest. Recently she has won the Golden Quill Contest, FHL’s Inspirational Readers’ Choice Contest, Winter Rose Contest, and the Barclay Gold Contest. She wrote for various secular publishers before the Lord led her to the Christian romance market. She currently writes inspirational romance and romantic suspense books for the Steeple Hill Love Inspired lines. She has sold sixty books to date. Her most recent release is What Sarah Saw: Without a Trace, Book 1, a Love Inspired Suspense for January 2009.


  1. Hi Margaret,
    I hear you on New Year's resolutions. 365 days is a loooong time. I do better with a daily resolution. Nothing new this year, but last year was landmark.

    My husband and I are homebodies when it comes to New Year's Eve. Last year I spent it reading Beth Moore's book, "Get Out of That Pit Now!" Great stuff! It worked. In 2008 I lost those naggng ten pounds and another 20. This year's plan is stay on track.


  2. Well, I'm a big resolution maker. I made fifteen resolutions and Glo helped me make a schedule on gmail so I can keep track. It doesn't discourage me if I fail on any of them. I always look at it this way. So what if I miss one day of my resolutions, start over the next day. I'm keeping quite a few of them. Most of them are merely things I need to be doing anyway, but don't. Such as writing every day. Blah, blah, blah. but, I like to keep track every day so I can try harder the next day. It works for me. I think I need to have Glo set up a schedule for me strictly on writing, such as a brainstorming day, a plotting day, a characterization day, etc. I think that would really help me get on track and like I said, if I miss a day, I'll look to the next day and eventually, by looking at my goals everyday, I won't be able to set them totally aside like I have done for the past two years. Caron

  3. Margaret! Thanks for the laugh. I loved your post because we are SO much alike in that respect. I, too, have NO New Year's Resolutions. I, too, would love to lose 10+ pounds. I, too, should get out of my chair and go work out, but, just hasn't happened yet.

    BUT, maybe if I make ONE teensy little resolution, I'll be more inclined to keep it. I'll keep you updated.


  4. Uh, you girls don't need to lose any weight. What are ya'll talking about!? And maybe I'm a freak but I actually LIKE to exercise. I'm excited that I can do it again. Call me crazy :-)But, I never make New Years resolutions...if I want to do something why do I need to wait until New Years to start making it happen?

    Fun Post, Margaret.

  5. Not sure why my comment wont go through on my google account but here's my fourth attemptas anonymous!
    Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your blog, Margaret. Afraid I gave up those resolutions years ago but thank you for that reminder about exercise. I know I am just so unfit and need to do more - perhaps get back into line-dancing once more?
    Also wanted to say how much I enjoy the books of yours I've found here in Australia. They take a while to reach our shops but thank you for another great read, your October release, Forsaken Canyon.
    Mary Hawkins

  6. Margaret,
    I make a list. Actually I make daily lists. Okay, I'm an obsessive list maker. I have been known to add something I've already done to my list simply for the pleasure of crossing it off. LOL

    However, this year by new year's resolutions were short and sweet. 'Same as last year.' I have them memorized after having the same ones for years--lose weight, exercise more, be more patient...that sort of thing.

    I'm truly a work in progress.

    Linda Ford

  7. Margaret, you made me laugh when you said, "You metabolism slows down but time speeds up". That is SOOO true.

  8. Margaret

    I'm with you on the exercise goal. I've started back on the treadmill and am working my way up to 4 x week. But I wish there were more benefits than just being heart-healthy. Why can't treadmill walking give me back those nice firm thighs and buns I had in college?

    Marin Thomas
    RT Top Pick
    The Cowboy and the Angel (Nov 08)

  9. I'm with you on that thought, Marin. I want those firm thighs and buns back.
    I'm so glad, Mary, you enjoyed Forsaken Canyon.
    Thanks for stopping by, Victoria, Caron, Lynette, Kit and the two Lindas.
    I'm still exercising but there are some days it's tough.

  10. Margaret,

    I decided to make my 2009 the year of being the best me I can be (VBG)

    It's so easy when you sit for most of the day (like most of us do) to forget how good it feels to exercise, how good it feels to eat good foods and how good it feels to simply relax.

    So, this is my year to take at least 30 minutes a day to exercise, to eat five fruits and vegetables per day and to read at least one book every week.

    I started this on January 1 (I know, how corny) but I feel more energized already!

  11. Margaret,
    Sorry I gave up doing resolutions!

  12. Cute post, Margaret! I gave up resolutions years ago because I always ended up feeling bad if I didn't stick with them.

    Cindy, I like your positive spin on it! I need to think like that.


  13. LOL, I love the post and all the variety in the comments! I actually learned to love exercise. Here's my secret. I set that as a goal. I needed to get healthy so I wouldn't have the same outcome as my parents. So I joined Weight Watchers (and now work for them) and began testing different types of exercise and fun activities. I just took my very first yoga class last Friday. Ugh. But I'm going again because it was so interesting and the movements are slow and to MY level of stretch and motion.

    Ultimately, yes, I'm a goal-setter. I have 4 main goals this year. I've written them in my day timer so that they are in my mind. I also break them down into small steps. Then work on little steps each week.

    So why am I a goal-setter? Because without a target, I'm easily distracted and my little arrows go everywhere BUT in the right direction. Sometimes there's fog in the way and I have to wait until the sun burns it off. It eventually does burn off, you know. It's okay to wait it out on occasion.

    So here's to 10 pounds (me too) and setting our arrows in the right direction even if the fog blocks the view ;-)

  14. Hi Margaret, I like to have a list of some things I can control (and yes, losing a few pounds is always on it!), and some out-there goals that I don't feel I have any say over there, but if they're on the list, I feel there's more of a chance I'll make them one day.

  15. I love all the responses. And Ang, I started yoga last month and I'm really enjoying that. It gives me a different workout than the treadmill.

  16. Hey, Margaret, I'm with you on not having resolutions--they only lead to guilt for me because I so change my mind on what I want and then I feel like a flake.
    Yoga's good, relaxing. I prefer Jazzercise because I love to dance and its good exercise. I hate running on a treadmill, boring! And yes, the metabolism slows, or in my case came to a screeching halt when I turned forty and now I feel like the little engine that could as I try to revv it back up.
    Can't wait to read WHAT SARAH SAW! Your cover is fabulous.

  17. Hi Margaret,
    What a cute post. No, I never really made resolutions before this year, and the ones I have now are fairly vague.
    Just stuff I'd like to see happen.
    Good luck staying the same weight. :-) I'm trying to say no to cookies but they're SO yummy!
    Anyways, loved your comment about time and metabolism. Ironic.