Saturday, January 02, 2010

Wild Card Weekend - The Call with Rachel Bailey!


What a way to kick off the New Year! Please welcome new Desire author Rachel Bailey with her call story!

Thanks so much for inviting me onto the Pink Heart Society to tell my call story! I’ve loved this site since its inception and am so excited to be here talking about my own sale.



I’d been writing for a few years, but pretty much all over the place – whatever took my fancy at the time, from quirky romantic comedies to category romances. Then, after one of my critique partners, Robyn Grady, sold to Desire, I started reading that line more and found I loved it. Loved the stories, loved the authors’ voices. This was a place I could see myself. So I wrote a story for Desire about Damon and Lily and polished and polished it.

When I was ready, I queried an agent, Jenn Schober from Spencerhill. She represented some great Desire authors so I knew she’d have the contacts to introduce Damon and Lily to their potential new home. Fortunately, she liked them, took me on and then sent them on a trip to New York to meet Diana Ventimiglia. For company, she also sent three chapters of another story, about Nico and Beth, with them. They all sat in the waiting room at Desire for a few months while things changed a little at the line, and then Diana read Damon and Lily and sent them up to the then senior editor to read.

Then Jenn emailed me to say they wanted to buy the manuscript, and lots of lovely things, including that they want to pay me actual money for it, and that they want to release Damon and Lily into the world in early 2010. They also liked Nico and Beth too and bought it soon after.

My husband saw the ‘call’ email first when he booted up the computer in the morning (because I’m in Australia, the email had come in overnight). He came racing up to the bedroom to wake me up and dragged me down, still groggy, to see the offer. I woke up pretty quickly.  I emailed my critique partners and friends and we opened a bottle of champagne that night.

One of the best parts was the timing – the Romance Writers of Australia conference was only a couple of weeks away so I was able to go to the published author workshops and the Harlequin dinner. Joy!


They named Damon and Lily’s story Claiming His Bought Bride, and it will be out in January in the US and in February in Australia. And Nico and Beth’s story was named The Blackmailed Bride’s Secret Child and will be out in the US in February, and in Australia in March. I was thrilled when they scheduled them as back to back releases!

There are far too many people who have helped me on my journey to thank here, so I want to throw out a great big fluffy purple group hug to everyone. Thanks!





Congratulations Rachel from all of us at the PHS!

You can grab Rachel's debut, Claiming His Bought Bride, this month from Silhouette Desire!

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations Rachel. Romance is all about happy beginnings. Hope your sales set new records. I'll happily pay for and read you. ---- Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wohoo - Rachel! CAnnot wait to read your book babies!

    :)
    Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To think that 'call' news sat unread in your intray for hours! Bet that was the last truly deep sleep you had ;)

    And how lovely that your DH got to be the one to tell you :)

    Congrats on your release - it's such a great story and deserves its Top5 bestseller status on eHarlequin.

    Enjoy debut month (and see you on the shelves next month!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erin,

    Thanks for the congratulations! And, as a dog lover, I have to say that is one *very* cool dog you have.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rach! Thanks for the enthusiasm!
    Looking forward to when I can read about your call story. :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nikki,

    I'm *very* much looking forward to sharing shelf space with you next month. In fact, it's your first book that's on my bedside table at the moment and I'm loving it!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Rachel - *huge* congratulations on your Call Story. I love call stories - they enthuse me no end to get the wip finished and out!

    I bet you are still pinching yourself - I know I would be! Way to go. Enjoy your debut month and once again massive congratulations! Take care. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Rachel!
    Call stories are great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caroline, thanks for your congratulations! I *am* still pinching myself and excited. In fact, on some days I'm even more excited now, like the day I got a box of my books in the mail. :)

    And yes, *definitely* get your wip out and finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle, I agree - call stories are such fun! I *love* reading them. Thanks for the congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, Rachel! Enjoy every bit of this - you earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rachel, I love reading The Call stories, and yours especially, seeing that you're now a fellow Desire author. I can't wait to read your books. And hey, look at those great covers too. What a way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic call story, Rachel - thanks! Give us all hope out here ... and yes, aren't those covers sexy?!

    Have a great 2010!

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel, I loved reading your call story! Never has a person worked harder and given so much - a big congrats from me =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maxine, lovely to see you here, my friend! One cool thing about selling to Desire was joining the fabulous stable of authors there. :)

    And yeah, I think I've been blessed by the cover fairy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane, yes I love my covers! Both so different but both great for their own reasons.

    I'm glad the call story gives you hope! I'll look out for your name on the sale announcements. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mel! Lovely to see you here. Thanks for the kind words. And I'm still thrilled with your sale to Nocturne Bites! Can't wait to see the cover, not to mention not being able to wait to buy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved your call story, Rachel and super- duper congrats on the back to back releases! I can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your debut being released this month Rachel & thanks for sharing your call story. I'm so happy for you and couldn't have happened to a lovelier person.

    E x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Michelle, thanks for the congrats - especially as they're super-duper ones. :) As a fan of yours, I'm looking forward to reading your next one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eleni, so glad to see you here! You're very sweet to be happy for me, but then you're sweet all round. :) I'm looking forward to the day I hear about you getting the call!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Rach and Rach

    So sorry I am late in reading your blog!

    Wahoo again to Rach for the upcoming releases - am so excited for you. I love that hubby saw the call email before you did!

    Take care of you!

    Bye 4 now
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Tina! Yes, I'm glad that hubby read the email first too, because it made it as much his experience as it was mine. He still sees my emails first because he boots up the computer when he gets up (at ridiculous o'clock) and so he's still the one to break news of a new sale etc to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm late too but Rachel you already know how much I adored your debut book and the review is posted here on PHS Reviews.

    Looking forward to your release next month! xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Marilyn! I loved that you 'got' Damon in the review you posted on the PHS Reviews. Reading that made my day. :) Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete