Monday, December 15, 2008

Male on Monday - Holiday Hunks


Donna Alward's back with "Males" on Monday - those on-screen holiday hunks!

I spent a lot of years watching shows like Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, Charlie Brown Christmas, The Grinch, and the horror that is Frosty and Frosty Returns.

But once the kids were in bed, I'd put in my own movies and sigh away at the holiday hunks, of today and yesteryear. Thankfully my children's taste in Christmas shows is improving. And now we watch them all together huddled under a blanket with some hot cocoa and warm cookies.
So here are a few of my favourites:
Bing Crosby in both White Christmas and The Bells of St. Mary's...just dial "O" for O'Malley, Ms. Bergman...and his chemistry with Rosemary Clooney is such a hoot. I loved "Bob" so much that while my girls were babies, I'd sing them the "Count your Blessings" song as I rocked them. Rock on, Bing.



Dylan McDermott. I'm not generally a fan of remakes, but I adore the remake of Miracle on 34th Street. There's no better Kris Kringle than Attenborough, and Dylan is handsome and smooth as Bryan. The movie is sweetly sentimental, really the only time you could watch something so saccharine is at Christmas, but it works, and when it's over, you kinda wish Bryan would give YOU a Cartier box.


Christopher Plummer in The Sound of Music. Strong, silent, wounded, and turned around by the love of a good woman. Also willing to do anything to avoid serving the Nazis and a helluva decent singer.
I even found a blog celebrating Plummer in the role as well as the real Captain Von Trapp. Go have a gander as this entry reveals the attraction so well...

Tim Allen in Christmas With the Kranks. An unlikely "hunk" in the hunky sense, but there are a couple of scenes that you realize, a) he's handsome in a real every day, nice sort of way and b) he's MADE for holiday movies. Just look at The Santa Clause...1, 2, and 3. Tim Allen gets my vote simply for his ability to produce laughs AND awwww factor.


Not really a Christmas movie, but definitely a movie I watch at Christmas time, how about Carey Grant in An Affair to Remember. Mr. Suave, Mr Playboy, with such a heart of gold beneath the flippant exterior. And who can resist that voice anyway????


And perhaps the favourite of all and chock a block full of Male on Monday stars - the men of Love Actually. There's Liam Neeson. Colin Firth. Alan Rickman. Rodrigo Santoro. Hugh Grant, even. Dear LORD. A smorgasbord of holiday cheer.


Who are your favourite holiday leading men?

Donna's currently trying to finish a book, get ready for Christmas, and prepare for her January release of The Rancher's Runaway Princess. When she's not doing that, she's cuddled up on the couch with her girls watching movies...


6 comments:

  1. Jimmy Stewart -- It's A Wonderful Life. He is the boy next door hero. A man who could so easily have died but decides to live for his wife...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Cary Grant in The Bishop's Wife? My favorite holiday movie, aside from the animated Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, Michelle, you read my mind, I'm cueing up It's a Wonderful Life for this week's Film on Friday slot (which Donna will be glad to know, I am writing as we speak!). Maybe our Jimmy's not your typical alpha male - actually he's not alpha at all - but there's nothing like a bit of boy-next-door now and again, especially under the mistletoe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoh Heidi, I can't wait!

    I'm wondering what other holiday movies people can recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hauled out my pile of holiday movies this past weekend and had a mini-marathon. Didn't make it all the way through yet, but there's always next weekend, right?

    For leading men you have to include The Bishop's Wife, Holiday Inn, White Christmas, and Meet Me in St Louis.

    Other holiday movie faves: It's A Wonderful Life, A Muppet Christmas Carol (come on--you can't help but laugh at Gonzo as Dickens with his sidekick Rizzo the Rat), The Holiday, The Polar Express, Scrooged, A Christmas Story, and the original, B&W Miracle On 34th Street. Oh, have to include Love Actually as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost forgot The Holiday! I love that one. And another I think is so much fun is The Last Holiday with Queen Latifah. Both of those are such warm, feel-good movies.

    ReplyDelete