Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Writer' Wednesday - Getting Ready For NaNoWriMo

Pink Heart Society editor Jenna Bayley-Burke is proselytizing about the glory of NaNoWriMo. She’s aware you’ve heard it from her before, but for some reason she can’t stop singing the praises of the program …

How are your New Year’s resolutions going? Did you promise to finally write a book this year? How’s that going for you?

Read any bad books lately? Anything that had you tossing it at the wall and just knowing you could do better?

Have you ever wondered if you had a book in you? Not dozens like some PHS editors and columnists who shall remain nameless, but one story that proves you can do it?

November is National Novel Writers Month, NaNoWriMo for those who like acronyms. And it’s the time to set the excuses aside, pull the frozen lasagna out when it comes time to make dinner, and actually write that novel that you’ve been meaning to.

Some look down on the process, thinking it must take at least a year to create a novel…but if you’re a fan of any author who puts out multiple books in a year you know they are doing it, and doing it well. They may not sign up on the NaNoWriMo website, but they are following the method of writing every day and pitching excuses out the window.

I’ve completed NaNoWriMo three times. My first, Just One Spark, was a Modern Heat release. The second, For Kicks, is with a small press. The third was linked to Just One Spark, but because of line direction changes after I wrote it, it didn’t work. Sometimes you can’t write fast enough!

For those who have tried to NaNo and stopped...I just wanted to point out some advantages of this 10th year of NaNoWriMo: not only do we get a whole extra hour on our second day thanks to the clock-changing ritual, but we also get ten full weekend days this November. A person could write 5000 words a day just on Saturdays and Sundays this month and still be a winner!
Last year I was in a rough place in my personal life and couldn’t muster the energy and enthusiasm necessary to NaNo. This year, I’ll be there on the starting line, ready to write something, glad to set my petulant procrastination problem aside for 30 days.


Jenna is working on her latest for Modern Heat - so far it has cake, champagne and moonlight. In the meantime, Par For The Course is out, with car sex, an interesting approach to learning to golf, and a love story hazardous to your hankie supply. Oh, plus exploding toads.. Check out Jenna's website, or blog.


  1. How weird is it that the indent thingee went all purple?

  2. Good for you Jenna.

    After sitting through the Seattle Writer's conference this past weekend I was truly impressed when I heard published and unpublished talk about their writing....some plotters and some not but the common thread was write everyday and push yourself.

    As you remember author Cherry Adair New York Times Best Seller says "WRITE THE DAMN BOOK" and rewards those who do each year at the Seattle conference. Jennie Lucas and I sat there and watched her friend Tatia walk up and receive her certificate for doing just that, she finished her book. We had tears rolling down our face.

    So as a reader I challenge all of you writers to write that book(s) so that I can review it!

  3. I'm doing my first NaNoWriMo this year with a bunch of great girls from the Romance Writers of Australia. I'm so excited! I hope I can deliver on the word count!!