Monday, October 13, 2008

Male on Monday - Two for one!

It's all doom and gloom in the news at the moment so here is our Natasha bringing us the Pink Heart Society's answer to the credit crunch - our two for one offer ...

Hans Matheson and Eddie Redmayne.

The BBC is good at costume drama - and this autumn we've had Hardy's 'Tess of the D'Ubervilles' which I'm sure will travel around the world shortly.

I ought to hold my hand up here and say I didn't watch it. I hate 'Tess'. I think it's because I read it as a teenager without having any idea what happened and was soooooooo disappointed. Call me shallow but I'm never going to enjoy a story which ends with the heroine being hung. That said, it all looks very beautiful and I've decided to bring you the actors who played Alec (hiss) - Hans Matheson - and Angel (who, imo, also deserves a hiss) - Eddie Redmayne.



Eddie Redmayne was born on 6th January, 1982, in London. He went to Eton College (that's a financially priviledged background then) and went on to study History of Art at Trinity College, Cambridge. He performed with the National Youth Music Theatre, and made his professional stage debut for Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in Twelfth Night in 2002.

He won the award for Outstanding Newcomer at the 50th Evening Standard Theatre Awards (2004) and the award for Best Newcomer at the Critics' Circle Theatre Awards in 2005. You might have seen him as Thomas Babington in 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age' (2007) or as William Stafford in 'The Other Boleyn Girl' (2008).

Right now, if you are near London, you can catch him at the Royal Court Theatre. Christopher Shinn's 'Now or Later' runs until 18th October, 2008. Failing that see if you can spot him in fashion shots for Burberry.

Other than that I can tell you he stands 5ft 11" tall (1.80 m).

Hans Matheson, sadly, is shorter at 5' 8½" (1.74 m). He was born on 7th August, 1975, in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis (that's in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland). In a caravan. Which is fun - but probably wasn't for his mother.

He grew up in Canterbury, England but often spent his summer holidays on Stornoway with his grandparents. His father, Ado, is a musician, his grandfather was a Gaelic singer/songwriter and his great-grandfather was crowned the Celtic Bard in recognition of his writing in the '50s.

You might have seen him as Thomas Cranmer in 'The Tudors' (2008) or alongside Keira Knightley as Yury Zhivago in 'Doctor Zhivago' (2002).

He plays guitar, violin and harmonica, writes his own songs and prefers to travel by train rather than by air, even if the trip takes days.

So, what do we think?????

Much love
Natasha








Natasha's latest Harlequin Romance 'Wanted: White Wedding' is available in the UK here and in NA here!

Romantic Times Magazine says: 'Natasha Oakley's Wanted: White Wedding (4.5) has its share of deeply touching moments, but what makes it stand out are the humor and the wonderful characters.'

You can find out more about it on her website and you can hear her moan about 'life, the universe and everything' if you visit her blog.

11 comments:

  1. Because my daughter is highly into 19th century literature at the moment, she watched and I caught parts of it. But like you, I have never been keen on Tess. It is a misery memoir.
    Both men are good looking, but I would have to see them in something else...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely prefer the swathy celt born in a caravan to the posh boy who went to Eton, but that's just me and my prejudices.

    Loved Tess BTW. Thought Gemma Atherton was phenomenal, actually managed to give Tess a lot of fighting spirit despite all those men that done her wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Natasha,

    God, wasn't Tess utterly miserable? It's been a couple of decades since I read it and I honestly couldn't remember how it ended(a bit like not remembering a traumatic injury perhaps, the brain erases it!)

    The costumes and scenery were wonderful but I really wanted to give Angel a good slap for being such a drip. Him Indoors was completely baffled by the misery of it all too. To quote: 'why doesn't she just go off with the rich one?'

    Too, too gloomy.

    Nope,it's time for some for a guaranteed happy endings for me!

    Best wishes,
    Rach.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to confess to loving the book, but I'm afraid I saw the Polanski adaptation at a very impressionable age and was v disappointed with this one.

    I'm afraid neither of the men appealed at all. Why wasn't James D'Arcy playing Alec? Honestly, he needs to sack his agent and hire ME instead...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. India, James can't be in everything! But, let's look on the bright side - does that mean Captain Guilio is all mine???????

    Yes, Rach, M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E! And, Heidi, I'm with you. vbg But on the short side - which is such a pity since I do like my heels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Er-- hello? (taps foot impatiently)And WHY can't lovely James be in everything? A drama set aboard The Black Swan would be a good place to start-- I'm thinking 'Master and Commander The Return Voyage' starring Captain Guilio as First Mate...

    Job done. Everyone's happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee!

    I can't agree to Captain Guilio being demoted. I've no particular objection to James being first mate though. How about Abby Green as director??? She'd let us hold her clip board ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Argh! Tess of the D'Ubervilles??? No! Please no! Don't bring those memories back. I was sixteen and had to read it for English and it left me emotionally devastated and with a life long loathing of Thomas Hardy novels.

    Now, your heroes...definitely the dark and dangerous looking Hans for me, although he'd need to stretch out to at least 6'2" to be one of my heroes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got to agree. The height issue is a pity. No question. Like Heidi I do rather like the Celtic connection.

    ReplyDelete