Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday Talk-Time - Sexy Archaeologists!



Welcome back to Kate Hardy...with a post on sexy archaeologists...let me tell you never has BRAINY been quite so SEXY here at the PHS... if you don't believe us...read on!


I always knew I wanted to be a writer…but I was a greedy child. I wanted two jobs. And the other one involved archaeology.

I spent hours and hours digging up our back garden, to see if I could find anything. (Broken pottery. Lots and lots of broken pottery.) What I really wanted was to find a Roman villa. I wasn’t that far out, as it happens – when I researched the history of the house where I grew up, I discovered there was a Roman station about half a mile away. And my particular corner of the UK is fairly big in prehistory: more Iron Age torcs and bracelets have been found in Norfolk than in the rest of Britain put together (and there’s something called the Snettisham Hoard – the largest collection of Iron Age gold and silver neck rings found anywhere in Europe. You can see it in the British Museum).

Ahem. I digress. Anyway, that love affair with archaeology has never really gone away. So, last year, I persuaded my editor to let me write a Modern Heat starring an archaeologist.

She wanted him to be a banker.

But I stuck to my guns. Archaeologists are sexy, I said.

She wanted proof, so I found some.

Starting with Harrison Ford. Didn’t everyone fall in love with him, in Raiders of the Lost Ark?







Brendan Fraser. I defy you not to find him sexy in his role as Rick O’Connell, in The Mummy.






Michael Wood. In Search of the Dark Ages was absolute required viewing from me, back in the early 1980s, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed his programmes ever since. OK, he’s not an archaeologist per se: he’s a historian. But he was known as the ‘thinking woman’s crumpet’ for a very good reason. (And yes, I do own all his books. This is where my hero Alex’s career comes in.)







I should (maybe) have added Gerard Butler, in his role as Terry Sheridan in Tomb Raider. (Not an archaeologist exactly… but if he’d been redeemed, maybe he would’ve become one. He had an appreciation for artefacts, at least. And he’s gorgeous, yes?)



And this summer, in the UK, we’ve had Bonekickers, a drama series about archaeologists. I give you Hugh Bonneville.

I rest my case. Archaeologists are sexy!

What I want to know is: do you agree, and can you add any more proof?


Kate has two books currently on the shelves: Hotly Bedded, Conveniently Wedded – complete with sexy archaeologist! – in the UK, and The Spanish Doctor’s Love Child in Australia and the US (and next month as a Presents Extra in the US).

You can find out more about these books, and Kate, on her website (http://www.katehardy.com/) and her blog (http://katehardy.blogspot.com/)


Spanish Doctor’s Love Child




Hotly Bedded, Conveniently Wedded







Now it's time for more spectacular birthday prezzies for L'il Pink Guy!


For today's stupendous prize, head on over to Kate Walker's Blog to see what she's giving our dancing dude. Then answer a pretty easy question to enter to win one of Kate's amazing prize packs...you're not going to want to miss this one!

3 comments:

  1. AGREE! 100%

    Archeological sites, however, are not sexy. Smelly! I was soooo disappointed and moved swiftly away from that career idea. Also boring. I brushed for days and found NOTHING.

    Michael Wood was my 'casting' for Dominic in 'For Our Children's Sake', my breakthrough book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate,

    I've got a sexy archaelogist in my Modern Heat out in October, The Boss's Bedroom Agenda!

    Mine's helping out his dad, as acting CEO of Melbourne Museum and sexy...phoar!!

    Just something about a guy who can get down in the dirt...

    ReplyDelete