Friday, September 26, 2008

Film on Friday - Mamma Mia!

This Friday our Natasha brings us the movie phenomenon that is MAMMA MIA!

I don't think it's because I am 'of-a-certain-age' I like this movie - although it might be. I went to see it with my 14 year old daughter who found it slightly off putting to be in a movie theatre stuffed full of people who'd danced round their handbags to ABBA at discos way-back-when and who were now singing along in a public place.

But ...

Mamma Mia! It's was the must see film of the summer and, certainly, you must see it. It's pure fun. Complete nonsense. Don't think too much about the plot but it was the perfect antedote to our miserable grey skies.

You do need to have liked the Swedish group Abba! Remember this?



Well, in Mamma Mia! it becomes:



20 year old Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) is getting ready to marry her boyfriend Sky (Dominic Cooper) at her mother's ramshackle hotel on an island in Greece. Her big wish now is to be given away by her dad at her wedding - only her mother has never told her who he is.

When Sophie happens upon her mother's diary she discovers there are three possibilities and, without telling her mum, she invites all three to her wedding.

Sophie: [reading Donna's diary] We danced on the beach, kissed on the beach ...

'Dot, dot, dot' being what what we did in 'the olden days'! So we have Harry (Colin Firth), Sam (Pierce Brosnan) and Bill (Stellan Skarsgard) all arriving at the same time. Donna, understandably one feels, is shocked and traumatised at seeing her past materialise and, somehow or other, makes her youthful mistakes sympathetic.

Donna: What are you doing here?
Bill: I'm writing a travel piece.
Harry Bright: I took a spontaneous holiday.
Sam Carmichael: I thought I'd drop in and say hi.

Meryl Streep is simply amazing - and has a great singing voice. Pierce Brosnan's is less good but that somehow works. And you'll absolutely love Donna's friends, Tanya (Christine Baranaki) and Rosie (Julia Walters). They are having fun!!

Richard Knight from the Windy City Times wrote 'The movie gets by on sheer exuberance. Your appreciation of it, I suspect, will strongly depend on your mood and the enthusiasm of the audience members around you' and I reckon that's right. It's all sunshine, fabulous scenery and energy.

There are all kinds of twists and turns. Everyone has a happy ending - and then there's a wedding.

Maybe the best thing to do is to let you watch the trailer ....



As for a warm and fuzzy rating ... It's difficult. For all there is a romance it's not really romantic. It's a movie to make you smile. I think I'm going to give it a Pink Heart rating of 8 out of 10.

What do you think? Who else has seen it?

Much love
Natasha

Natasha's latest Harlequin Romance 'Wanted: White Wedding' is available in the UK here and in NA here!

Romantic Times Magazine says: 'Natasha Oakley's Wanted: White Wedding (4.5) has its share of deeply touching moments, but what makes it stand out are the humor and the wonderful characters.'

You can find out more about it on her website and you can hear her moan about 'life, the universe and everything' if you visit her blog.

7 comments:

  1. I have! And I loved it! It is such a fun film.
    The audience I saw it with was great. There was a wonderful buzz. It has been a long time since I have been to a film where the audience had such a good time.
    I have also discovered the soundtrack is excellent for listening to while I do my indoor rowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have!! I haven't laughed so much in ages! I will admit to a 'Omigod' moment when the first singing started but after that I went with it. Meryl Streep is excellent and you really don't have to like Abba to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this movie, and amazingly my two sons loved it too! Now that doesn't happen very often I can tell you.

    But will everyone stop dissing Pierce's singing, I thought it was pretty darn good, okay I am tone deaf and a bona fide Pierce junkie, but hey give the guy a break. Those songs are really hard to sing...

    Oh, and did anyone else get goosebumps when Meryl sang The Winner Takes It All? I never realised those ABBA songs had such poignant lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah but Heidi that is part of the beauty of Mama Mia -- Pierce's singing. Julie Walters's singing as well. It is all making a joyful noise.
    Then of course there is the sing along version. Has anyone gone to a showing of that? If I had not gone down to London and had revisions, I would have been there.
    And I do prefer the Mamma Mia soundtrack to Abba Gold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took the kids and we loved it, too. My fave bit was the credits - just hilarious. Even son enjoyed it and was tapping his feet (though he had protested at being dragged to what he called a girly film). Daughter simply asked if we could go back to the singalong version. (Er, she sang through it as it was...)

    And the lyrics to 'The Winner Takes It All' - yup. 'Building me a home, thinking I'd be strong there' - if we're singing along in the car, that's the bit that makes my voice catch. (I like my nest, and even the thought of losing it - through a novelist's "What if" take on things - is exactly what I need when I'm ramping up a conflict in a book.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to see it with some girl friends and we acted like teenagers.....loved the film, even Pierce's singing.

    We play the CD at work all of the time especially when we're having a stressful day...puts a smile on everyones face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooooooo, what do you think? 8 out of 10 or a bit stingey????

    ReplyDelete