Thursday, July 03, 2008

Thursday Talk Time - the Write Place

This Thursday our Natasha is back with a peek into writers' caves ...

Donna's found the perfect working place - with a cherry wood floor - but I'm still struggling. Despite my very best efforts my desk is still the dumping ground for other people's stuff. It will not do. I'm threatening to take over the family room. So, whilst I'm dreaming of something other than the cupboard-I-fondly-call-my-study I'm 'researching' the perfect writing room.

At least, that's my excuse for the fascination I have for looking at the rooms other authors call 'home'.

Here in the UK we have a programme called 'The Book Show'. It's pretty much what it says on the tin. Top authors talking about their latest books, their inspiration and the books they wish they'd written. All good but it gets better. Some authors let us peak behind the doors of their studies ..


To date my favourite is Anthony Horowitz's purpose built writing room. It's the view I covet. (Actually, no, I like the bookshelves and the endless expanse of desk, too.)

But there are others which ... well, they don't fill me quite so much envy. Even so they are fascinating to see.



Tracy Chevalier writes in long-hand, transferring everything to a computer later. And, how about this, she repaints her study for every new book. I'm exhausted just thinking about that.



Jacqueline Wilson writes her book on THE most uncomfortable desk I've ever seen.



Lisa Jewell gets to share her editor's nanny. And she has an ebay habit so that means she must be nice. I have now replaced my ebay habit with a YouTube one, as you can see. Just as time consuming but it IS cheaper.



Jenny Colgan has a different childcare solution. She writes in her favourite coffee shop where 'nice' staff occasionally give her twenty minutes to write hard. Humph. That never happened to me. Her notebooks with the incomprehensible middle-of-the-night spurts of genius strike a chord with me though.

So what do you think???

Much love
Natasha



Natasha's latest Harlequin Romance Wanted: White Wedding is on the shelves in Australia now. It's available in the UK here. And in NA here!

Romantic Times Magazine says: 'Natasha Oakley's Wanted: White Wedding (4.5) has its share of deeply touching moments, but what makes it stand out are the humor and the wonderful characters.'

You can find out more about it on her website and you can hear her moan about her sheikhs and other assorted disasters by visiting her blog.

Her contribution to the Niroli series, 'The Tycoon's Princess Bride', is available here and won the Romantic Times Magazine Best Presents of 2007 and is nominated for a RITA®.

'Crowned: An Ordinary Girl' has finalled in the National Readers' Choice Awards.

3 comments:

  1. Natasha, thanks for posting the Youtube videos. I love seeing an authors' writing space and hearing about their individual approaches to writing. I shall be searching for more videos now..lol...


    Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natasha, great post, but what the ...? How the heck does Jenny Colgan get a thing done, let alone 1000 words a day in the local Starbucks, with a baby on her lap! I'm sorry but writers like that make me want to puke.They make it look so easy... when it's not... or maybe that's just me.

    Heidi (who's suffering from severe word count envy at the moment)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo glad I've corrupted you, Chris! ggg

    Heidi, I KNOW. I've tried writing in a coffee shop twice and I didn't get anything done.

    ReplyDelete