Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Getting There Is Half The Fun

The RWA conferences are held in a different city each year, giving writers a chance to explore a new venue. It also leaves most of them pining for a life like the characters in our books. You know, private jets at the ready, helicopters to help you avoid pesky traffic, scene breaks so travel isn't boring...

Here's how some of your favorite category authors got to the RWA conference this year in San Francisco ::

I’m about to tell you a dirty little secret — I am terrified of flying. HATE IT! But I love to travel. What a problem! Kind of tough to travel anywhere distant without flying. -- Caridad Pineiro, Silhouette Nocturne & Intimate Moments

Ann Aguirre and I are in Solvang after yesterday's signing in Santa Barbara. We're creeping up the coast, up to San Fran for the RWA conference. I just wanted to tell you how cute Solvang is. I haven't been here in ages, and I've forgotten how endearing this little Danish village with its wine tasting rooms, boutiques, bakeries, and specialty stores is. -- Crystal Green, Harlequin Blaze & Silhouette Special edition

The first plane they put us on had a rubber band propeller. Okay, maybe I exaggerate–a little. But I’ve never had to walk down two flights of stairs carrying my 40 pound bag, walk across the terminal TO the plane and climb on board the teeny, tiny steps. Yes, a lot of prayers were said. And a lot of thank yous once we were on the ground again. -- Kay Stockham, Harlequin SuperRomance

Harlequin Romance's Melissa McClone planned a family vacation to coincide with RWA's National Conference...and an Irish dancing Feis...and visiting friends...oh, and she brought her revisions with her. Go ahead, blink your eyes in wonder. She is a dynamo! She drove down with her family from Washington!

My husband and I arrived a week early to enjoy the area, but he'll be heading back home on Tuesday. SF is such a lovely city--and so cool, I've been wearing a jacket the entire time. The cable cars, the water, the wonderful restaurants --especially the Blue Mermaid here on Fisherman's Wharf--have made this a special week. But ahhhh...the real excitement and fun begins when several thousand writers converge on the conference hotel! -- Roxanne Rustand, Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense

The Pink Heart Society's own Trish Wylie is making her way from Ireland to San Francisco via New York and ComicCon in San Diego. She's had to buy a laptop super-charger just to make sure we all get our conference fix!!

No comments:

Post a Comment