Monday, April 21, 2008

Male on Monday - SUPERHEROES!!

Up to her ears in a word count battle with fellow PHS editor Trish Wylie and about to head into the cave not to write but to take care of the baby arriving any day, this week Jenna just wants to be rescued. And who is more up to the task than a SUPERHERO!!

Everyone has a favorite. Not just a favorite superhero, but a favorite actor who brought the superhero to life for you. The one who made you believe in superpowers and that the world can be saved in under two hours.

As romance writers, we often cast the same actors in our books that Hollywood puts in superhero movies. Ally Blake and I have used Christian Bale (aka Batman). Trish has waxed poetic about Justin Hartley's Green Arrow. Why? Well...just look at them! We're using them for visual inspiration after all...

Like romances, superhero movies hold true to the happily ever after promise, so you know you'll leave the theater satisfied, even when there is the possibility of a sequel. The guy gets the girl, even when he is from planet Krypton.

There are darker undertones at play. Who better to brood than a hero trying to conceal his identity and true feelings for the greater good of mankind? And who doesn't love the idea of a dark hero saved by the love of a good woman?

Especially when that woman is just as strong and tough as he is :)

Personally, I like to think about having superpowers. I do sometimes feel like the mom in Incredibles, where I'm always reaching for things just out of my grasp...but I want something less practical.

Not sure whether you want to fly, regenerate, mind read, or teleport? The Heroes TV show has a quiz you can take to see which superpower suits you best. (It turns out, I am Claire...the indestructible cheerleader...and you are?)

Jenna is hard at work on her next title for Mills & Boon Modern Heat. In the meantime, Her Cinderella Complex is available with a millionaire, secretary, engagement of convenience, private island, and a hot pool sccene.

Check out her
website, or blog.
*** CONTEST UPDATE! ***
The winners of Olivia Gates' book giveaway contest from her Friday Film-Night "Enchanted" post are... Crystal, Ilona and Anita Mae! Gals, you can get in touch with Olivia on oliviagates@oliviagates.com to let her know your addy!
Check out her post here...

3 comments:

  1. Darn it, I'm that geeky Japanese guy. How did I get to be the only non-buff one? I'm going to have to take it again now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing about being a super hero is the part where your secret identity is totally separate. I'm a mom, an employee, a writer, a wife, a friend, etc. I wish I could step into a phone booth and fully transform into whatever I need to be in the moment.

    Doesn't work that way for me. My identities are all smooshed together and they make a mess of my attempts at boundaries. Maybe I need an outfit to clearly differentiate the identities. I wonder if TJ Maxx has a super hero outfit department...

    Hope your super powers kick in soon, Jenna!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. H - at least your superpower is cool.

    E - That is so true! I think it could be a mom thing, we have to wear so many hats I sometimes feel like Bartholomew Cubbins!

    (I wonder if working Seuss into everyday conversation is a superpower...I would rock at that!)

    ReplyDelete