Friday, March 28, 2008

Thursday Talk Time with Lori Borrill

Welcome back to the Pink Heart Society Blaze favorite Lori Borrill! She has a question - and a contest - for you!



Judging a book by its cover


I think one of the most exciting parts of the publishing process is seeing my cover for the first time. It's always a thrill to see what the artist comes up with based on the write-up I provided them. Do the characters look like I'd envisioned when I wrote the book? Is it sexy, or sassy, or dark or--gulp--dull? We're always dying to have those questions answered, and I have to say that in the case of my April Blaze, I'm thrilled with it for a number of reasons.

For one, yes, these characters look exactly as I'd pictured them in the book. Sticklers for cover characters matching the author's descriptions will be pleased this time around. That sexy stud you see there is most definitely Matt Jacobs, exactly how I'd pictured him and exactly as he's described in the text.

Secondly, I had no idea until seeing the cover that my book had been tagged a "Blush". For those unfamiliar with Blush, it's an imprint within the Blaze line for those books with a lighter feel, a bit of a throwback to Temptation but maintaing the Blaze heat. Some might consider them romantic comedies, or at least leaning in that direction. So as a big fan of lighthearted romances, this was definitely a pleasant surprise.

But for me, the biggest excitement in seeing the cover is the little teaser that's too small to read in this picture. It says, "Cheating on a sex survey.....What's the worst that can happen?"

I have to say, my editors couldn't have summarized the plot any better than that. And ironically, it's exactly the thought that spurred the original idea for the story. You see, I'd been watching those eHarmony commercials on TV forever. You know, the ones with the couples who look absolutely perfect for each other, expressing the joys of finding that soul mate put on this earth only for them? You can tell just by looking at them they'll be together forever. And me, having the sick and sordid mind that I do, kept thinking there was a story in there somewhere--but not the easy bliss they show on TV. No, I couldn't shake the thought of someone cheating on one of those surveys, lying through her teeth about every romantic and sexual preference, who she is and what she loves, then getting stuck with Mr. Wrong.

Of course, no one genuinely looking for Mr. Right would do such a thing, which was the big kink in my idea. I had to come up with a reason someone would A) take the survey, and B) lie when answering the questions. And once I worked out those details, I had a book that was a whole lotta fun to write (muahahahaha).

In 'Putting It To The Test', my characters are asked to fill out a romantic survey in order to win a spot on a hot project at work. And when my heroine gains some inside information about how the results will be tallied, she sets up her survey answers to make herself the guaranteed winner.

Of course, being the winner means she's been matched perfectly to our hero, a coworker whom she not only hates but who is her greatest rival on the job. And now she's got to pretend to be perfect for him to avoid getting caught in her little ruse.

It's the kind of "I Love Lucy", gee-I-never-thought-that-far plot that makes for a really fun read, and I'm thrilled the cover did such a good job portraying that to prospective buyers.


So being that I've brought us to the subject of matchmaking, let me ask this question: Do you think you'd ever look for a soul mate through an on-line matchmaking service? Or have you? I have a friend who found her husband through a matchmaking service, and after a year she still has a smile on her face.

Post your thoughts in the comments and you'll be automatically entered to win a copy of "Putting It To The Test". I'll announce the winner here in the comments Friday morning.

For more on Lori and her latest release, be sure to check out her website and her blog, the Sizzling Pens.

16 comments:

  1. I'm planing on staying with my Mr. Right i picked up on a street corner but i'd definately use an online matchmaking service if needed (you can see i'm not that fussy from the street corner thing).
    My sister met her hubby through an online singles evening organiser service. They're happy and have 2 kiddos just 2.5 years later...
    Hugs, bec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never say never. Right now, I don't think I'll be signing up on Match.com or eHarmony. I don't personally know anyone who got married after meeting on an online matchmaking site. I don't have anything against it, I just don't think it's for me at this present time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing against dating sites, they are a lot less stressful than speed dating let me tell you *shudders at the memory*
    I am still seeing the man I met 18 months ago on an online dating site. If this doesn't work out, I'm not against trying again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never say "Never". I met my hubby at work and we've been together for 24 years but, if I had to go back into the dating scene, I might be willing to try online matchmaking. I have several friends who met and married men that they met online. They seem to be very happy together.

    I love your Blush cover. I read a lot of Blaze books and I love their Blush line. I don't think that I ever had a coworker who looked that hot though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were single, I don't think I would have the courage to use an on-line matchmaking service. I would be afraid I would meet a stalker or an axe murderer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way back when I got married there was no internet (or if it existed it wasn't accessible to all) so I don't know if I would take the risk of meeting someone on line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bec, LOL on your Mr. Right. My imagination is running away with all kinds of ways you two might have met.

    And LOL Madeline. I work in insurance and can guarantee there are no guys that look like that here. Most are bald and/or fat--probably the reason I spend my nights writing romance. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I met my husband at church 28 going on 29 years ago. We are total opposites so it happens.
    Would love to win the book.
    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would use a service to find a man, but it wouldn't be my first place to look. Luckily I'm already married and things are going well, so hopefully I won't have to find out what lengths I'd resort to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used a human matchmaking service--my best friend. She set me up with "the man of my dreams." He blew me off but his brother, now my beloved husband, showed up. Thank goodness!

    I'm a good test taker--I think the potential matchees should be more worried than me if I did use an online service. The Catholic school girl in me is always trying to figure out the "right" answer.

    Loved your premise and your cover! That's really why I'm commenting. I saw your book on eHarlequin and just wanted to stop in and say WOW! The story sounds like so much fun.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ellen. I think you're right that if I ever had to take a test, I'd have a hard time answering honestly. Though as part of the research for the book, I went through the eHarmony test. It's long!! And they rephrase questions over and over, probably trying to get around that very thing.

    Although, my friend took it for real and signed up, and was annoyed that once you've submitted your answers, you couldn't go back and change them.

    I'm finding everyone's comments so interesting. It's fun to hear how people met and how many would use an Internet service. It looks to be about a 50/50 split. I'm like the rest of you and hope I don't have to make that choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many years ago way before computers even existed I filled out a form which denoted everything about you and the individual you would like to meet. It was very concise and inclusive. This was mailed to the recipient who received it with five names. Eventually you received a call and then a date transpired. An effective and successful way to meet others. I met my husband. We have been married forever this May.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that the old fashioned matchmaker is coming back into use since online success stories are not as good as they promised to be. Why are there so many women in their thirties pining away for mr. right. I saw a program on television a short while ago showing a real matchmaker whose method was excellent. I believe that this focus should be used. For myself I believe that the online method was great when it began and with mususe it was disappointing for many. I was fortunate to meet someone special another way, the conventional way, through an introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have not, i do think about it, but i rather see people face to face first.

    ki m h

    ReplyDelete
  15. Petite, I think I've seen the show you're talking about. Was it "Confessions Of A Matchmaker"? It's on A&E I think and is pretty fun to watch.

    But anyway, thanks everyone for stopping by the blog and chatting with me. It's been fun talking about "what if". I think I'm like most of you and happy that I've got Mr. Right. Now my job is keeping him happy. LOL!

    And as promised, I stuck all the names in a hat and the winner to receive a free copy of "Putting It To The Test" is JANE!!

    Congratulations Jane. Please e-mail me at lori@loriborrill.com with your snail mail address and I'll get your book in the mail to you.

    ReplyDelete